mocha4313

Judge+Strasburg, Snell OR Sale for Trout? WHIR 100%

Smallish redraft points league that penalizes Ks, rewards walks and devalues steals, while slightly favoring pitching. Of hitters, guys with low K totals, solid plate discipline, RBI/run production and decent average are favored.

Trout owner has brought up the prospect of moving him for pitching. He originally asked for Judge or Soto paired with Cole. In negotiations, I lowered his demand in pitcher to Sale, Snell or Strasburg plus Judge (only Judge not Soto). I could try Nola with Judge but he values the other two higher so I doubt he will bite. For reference, last year, Max, Verlander and Degrom were, in this format, the top 3 scorers with 640-700 points on the year while Nola was the 4th pitcher and tied for 4th overall player with Jose Ramirez (top hitter) at a bit below 600 points

This year, with the ball flying, the gap between pitching and hitting has shrunk somewhat with the top 4 hitters (Cody, Yelich, Trout, Freddie) in line with the top 4 pitchers (Max, Verlander, Morton, Cole) but pitching remains the only way to score points in bulk as even Yelich’s 3-HR game scored about 20-23 points compared to Scherzer’s average pts per outing being 20.

Back to the trade, Judge is not the ideal points league player but he is still really good even with the strikeouts and pairing him with a pitcher of this caliber feels like a possible overpay.

Do you bite on this? Try to modify the deal? Which pitcher do you prefer to give up? WHIR 100% Could really use some thoughts here as this is the kind of blockbuster that shapes a season.

Here is my team

C- Grandal 1B: Rizzo 2B: Hiura SS: Lindor 3B: Matt Chapman CINF: Olson MINF: Story

OF: Judge, Soto, Yordan, Meadows, Eloy UTIL: Laureano

BN: Hunter Dozier, Garrett Cooper

SP: Gerrit Cole, Snell, Sale, Strasburg, Nola, Paxton, Giolito, Woodruff, Sonny Gray

BN: Stroman DL: Weaver

Edited by mocha4313

Hang onto Judge move those other 3 you listed for his Trout & 2 other bats to make it an even 3-3 

I would do Judge and Strasburg for Trout.  Strasburg will be put on a pitch count or innings cap (or get injured) sooner or later, which greatly limits his Points potential by limiting his Ks per start. Judge is great but with Trout you have the best player in the league and you have pitching to spare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be fist pumping to trade Judge and a struggling Sale for Trout.  Sale was breaking down last September and I can’t imagine those horrible mechanics holding up his arm much longer as a 30 yr old pitcher.  Strasburg would be next at age 30 with an extensive injury history but he’s been great this year.  Move Sale and Judge for Trout! 

Edited by Yourbettstulo
  • Thanks 1

I’d keep Strasburg. He has the best statcast numbers, the best performance so far, a much better fip than both but about even xfip and siera. Sale and snell are similar everywhere except statcast which favors snell. Sale however has pitched more than one good season and is on a better team imo. I’m leaning toward trading snell here sale’s more proven success is the tiebreaker for me 

Edited by ty5592
  • Thanks 1

I'd do Judge an Stras personally, of course I've never been a big Stras fan. Maybe Snell if you think  he'll be up and down ROS, Sale has burned out towards the end of the second half in the past. Tough choice which SP tonl give up but I'd do it for Trout even in your league.

HH

• Thanks 1

I would do Judge and Strasburg for the goat

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I would do Judge and Strasburg for Trout.  Strasburg will be put on a pitch count or innings cap (or get injured) sooner or later..........

Let's be honest -- we all know which of those three it's going to be. ;)

I'd do Judge/Stras and not think twice.

Edited by Bandito
  • Thanks 1

Given that it is a redraft league, I would be okay with trading Judge/Stras for Trout; I could see arguments to be made for Sale, but I think he is doing much better so I would prefer to trade Stras; a keeper league may change my evaluation.

• Thanks 1

Would it be crazy to think it'd be an overpay in a points league? It's an auto accept in h2h or roto, but while judge isn't trout it's not exactly a difference of like trout and nicky lopez. Judge is still going to put up good numbers. Add on top of that you're losing a good pitcher who is basically an extra player in this scenario, given it's a points league. Who are you going to put in place of the pitcher you trade away? I'd try and poach one of his pitchers in return, considering you're giving up 2 excellent players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Would it be crazy to think it'd be an overpay in a points league? It's an auto accept in h2h or roto, but while judge isn't trout it's not exactly a difference of like trout and nicky lopez. Judge is still going to put up good numbers. Add on top of that you're losing a good pitcher who is basically an extra player in this scenario, given it's a points league. Who are you going to put in place of the pitcher you trade away? I'd try and poach one of his pitchers in return, considering you're giving up 2 excellent players

Doubt he gives up anyone. I could add, with that roster slot, a SP like Stroman (recently cut for McKay) or Lucchesi. Been considering an RP as well. Normally it would be dumb to have just one RP (not as valuable in points) but with me hitting starts limits every week and having to bench guys, I could maybe get Hansel Robles or Taylor Rodgers. Overall though, no player close to the level of the ones I am giving up.

Edited by mocha4313

2 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Doubt he gives up anyone. I could add, with that roster slot, a SP like Stroman (recently cut for McKay) or Lucchesi. Been considering an RP as well. Normally it would be dumb to have just one RP (not as valuable in points) but with me hitting starts limits every week and having to bench guys, I could maybe get Hansel Robles or Taylor Rodgers. Overall though, no player close to the level of the ones I am giving up.

Stroman seems like a good option in points. Your pitching is stacked. I'd probably do it if you think your team improves. Those three pitchers are all the same tier to me. See if he'll take Nola

• Thanks 1

I'm never a fan of being on the short side of 2 for 1s. You really are losing too much value. 

But with the caliber of SP you have I'd probably accept trout. You could afford to probably lose another sp after Stras and survive

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2019 at 7:28 AM, ty5592 said:

I’d keep Strasburg. He has the best statcast numbers, the best performance so far, a much better fip than both but about even xfip and siera. Sale and snell are similar everywhere except statcast which favors snell. Sale however has pitched more than one good season and is on a better team imo. I’m leaning toward trading snell here sale’s more proven success is the tiebreaker for me 

This.

• Thanks 1