Gile Pile

NBA Champions, Toronto Raptors 2019-2020 SeasonThread

NBA champions deserve their own tread.

Loosing Kawhi sucks,  now we have 2.7% chance of repeating. 

What I am expecting this season:

-  current roster will  the season together, so Gasol, Lowry  and  Ibaka will have similar values as last season.

- Siakam will finish top 25 in per game value

- FVV will continue to improve, real life and fantasy

- OG  Anunoby will have huge year.  He  has clear path to minutes at 3 and 4, and he is in his 3rd year with Raptors.  Look what happened to Siakam and FVV in 3rd year with the team

- in a very deep leagues, Terance Davis could have value

- In the East, only Bucks and Sixers are better, Celtics  and Raptors are neck and neck

- so, Raptors will only lose to Bucks and Sixers in playoffs (I hope I am wrong); so it could be first round or conference finals

• Like 3

Congrats on the title last season. Now, it's a new league year and a new upcoming season. With Kawhi gone, Gasol & Lowry another year older, and uncertainty about who will step up this season, this team is a 1st round exit more than likely. Just another team in a very weak conference. I'll say the finish 5th in the regular season standings. No real firepower to win a playoff series unless Siakam plays out of his mind and takes not just one step up, but two. FVV will not play as well as he did last postseason. He knocked everything down, I wouldn't count on it again. Nothing to be real excited about IMO. The middle is the worst place to be in the NBA, and that's where the Raptors look like they will be for the next few seasons. It would be tough to do, but maybe if they can move their older, bigger name pieces, that might be the best option at this point.

Full rebuild  starts next summer. Only Siakam, OG and  Powell are under contract. Everyone else is FA, so Raptors have options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

NBA champions deserve their own tread.

We do, because #WeTheChamps!

IMO, it'll be a fun season for the Raptors. Zero expectations, but have a lot of young guys that want to prove themselves. RHJ, could be a sneaky good pickup for the raptors. If he develops a three-point shot he is all-of-a-sudden a really nice NBA player. Stanley Johnson is a really good defender, but has A LOT to prove on offense - he gets a fresh start, but out of those two my pick is RHJ to take the next step. OG, he is the guy with the REAL breakout potential. Can he do it? I'm not sure, I hope he can, but he had a really rough year losing his Dad and then emergency appendectomy. He has the tools, lets hope he can come through. IMO he controls the raptors ceiling. Like I have said elsewhere Siakam is the real deal and he isn't done getting better - he'll reach superstar level in this league before he's finished. FVV is Mr. Clutch and his defense and spacing will play a key role. 

Overall the defense is going to be awesome on this team - they signed length and defense, they had length and defense. The issue will be spacing. Do they have enough shooting - right now - NO. They need some of these guys (RHJ, Johnson, Boucher, McCaw, Powell) to really take the next step.

I predict 4th place in the regular season and 2nd round exit against the 76ers. I also expect they'll probably take advantage of at least one of the expiring trio (probably two, maybe even all three) at trade deadline for some nice assests (I think Clippers will be after Gasol), but it makes sense to hold for now not just to get a better deal, but to see where the team is and also help bring along the younger guys!

@RedRaider27, I really don't think where the Raptors are is bad at all. I mean 1. we are coming of the title...doesn't get much better than that, and 2. The are about to clear up a tonne of cap space, and 3. the middle has just been proven to be a good place - you get a playoff team, competitive (purpose of the sport right?), and Masai showed if you get some luck and make some nice gambles it can turn into a championship. I'd rather be where the raptors are (and the culture they are building) than many many many other teams in this league.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm interested to see how they fill the Danny Green / Leonard void...

Probably a lot of FVV / Lowry playing together...and I'm assuming Powell and OG trade inconsistent scoring games...maybe Gasol and Lowry take a small scoring uptick, and Siakam pushes into the 20's.  I'm considering trading Rose for Powell in dynasty roto...but don't really see Powell becoming a consistent player night to night...

• Like 2

On 7/19/2019 at 4:15 PM, hipriest69 said:

I'm interested to see how they fill the Danny Green / Leonard void...

Probably a lot of FVV / Lowry playing together...and I'm assuming Powell and OG trade inconsistent scoring games...maybe Gasol and Lowry take a small scoring uptick, and Siakam pushes into the 20's.  I'm considering trading Rose for Powell in dynasty roto...but don't really see Powell becoming a consistent player night to night...

Norm was pretty money from 3 towards the end of last year, and I'm hoping he sees the departure of Danny as an opportunity to break out. Til now, he hasn't really cemented himself as a 3 and D guy, and he kind of lacked a defined role. I'm hoping that changes this year now that Danny & CJ are gone. There aren't many (any?!?) legit SG options in front of him. Stanley hasn't shown any consistency in shooting in his previous teams, FVV is just too small to guard many 2s, and Matt Thomas is an unknown.

I'm also intrigued by what Gasol can bring to the team in terms of passing, now that Kawhi is gone. He and Lowry will definitely be seeing more of the ball, and I hope they can show off their distributing more. Lowry has shown great chemistry with our bigs over the years (even scrubs like Bebe) so I'm hoping to see more nice pick and roll sets finishing at the rim with a lob or something.

Edited by SirMixalot
  • Like 1

I do believe  that Terence Davis will get around 15 -20  min  at SG position and basically turn it into a time share with Norm.  After all star break, I expect Davis to get 20+ minutes

Dude plays with chip on his shoulder.

Some reading material:

https://www.raptorshq.com/2019/7/22/20702738/nba-analysis-toronto-raptors-terence-davis-fit

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/raptors-bet-on-undrafted-terence-davis-whose-gamble-on-himself-has-already-paid-off/

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

I do believe  that Terence Davis will get around 15 -20  min  at SG position and basically turn it into a time share with Norm.  After all star break, I expect Davis to get 20+ minutes

Dude plays with chip on his shoulder.

Some reading material:

https://www.raptorshq.com/2019/7/22/20702738/nba-analysis-toronto-raptors-terence-davis-fit

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/raptors-bet-on-undrafted-terence-davis-whose-gamble-on-himself-has-already-paid-off/

Yes this could also happen, although I would expect it to be another year before Davis becomes fantasy relevant (unless with his stock potential he does major destruction in 20 min / night like Holmes).

Hope the two games against LA proves this team is still legit. Shut down both Lebron and Kawhi while missing Lowry, Ibaka and OG. We just need a consistent scorer and they can contend 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Aloon33 said:

Hope the two games against LA proves this team is still legit. Shut down both Lebron and Kawhi while missing Lowry, Ibaka and OG. We just need a consistent scorer and they can contend 

Agreed, even games where we lost have shown that there's spark on this team. The Bucks game should've ended much worse than it did, but the Raps clawed their way back to make it interesting. I anticipate we'll see more of those

Losing Lowry, Ibaka and now OG will show that this team is legit, and that Nurse is a very good coach who finds ways to win. He gameplanned the two LA games really well, and while Bron and Kawhi had nice lines, the Raps still managed to make life much more difficult for them.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2019 at 12:44 PM, RedRaider27 said:

Congrats on the title last season. Now, it's a new league year and a new upcoming season. With Kawhi gone, Gasol & Lowry another year older, and uncertainty about who will step up this season, this team is a 1st round exit more than likely. Just another team in a very weak conference. I'll say the finish 5th in the regular season standings. No real firepower to win a playoff series unless Siakam plays out of his mind and takes not just one step up, but two. FVV will not play as well as he did last postseason. He knocked everything down, I wouldn't count on it again. Nothing to be real excited about IMO. The middle is the worst place to be in the NBA, and that's where the Raptors look like they will be for the next few seasons. It would be tough to do, but maybe if they can move their older, bigger name pieces, that might be the best option at this point.

This post did not age well. Lol.

• Haha 4

They have that championship swagger, they know how to cruise with Siakam. Still among the best teams in the East.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MysticPeak said:

They have that championship swagger, they know how to cruise with Siakam. Still among the best teams in the East.

Yeah when I look at them. I see championship!

17 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

This post did not age well. Lol.

Weird, I didn't know the playoffs were taking place right now. Actually, last I checked, we were about 10 games into the new season. How about you come back and try to "lol" my post when the season is over and then we'll talk. People like you trying to laugh at people a month into the season are literally insane. It's like drawing conclusions about a football team before we even hit October. The season doesn't even start in the NBA until Christmas. Meaning we don't know enough about a team and how they'll respond to adversity until that time. The Suns are having a great start to the season, do we really think they are gonna get in the playoffs? It's 10 games, they've had a nice start, more than likely they come back down to Earth. I will admit from my previous post that Siakam is a superstar, and one of the game's great young players. FVV is playing good but he's not playing as good as he did in the postseason, so I'm not sure how that's wrong?? Try again buddy.

4 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

The season doesn't even start in the NBA until Christmas. Meaning we don't know enough about a team and how they'll respond to adversity until that time. 

Then why are you talking s--- about the Champs?

28 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Then why are you talking s--- about the Champs?

Talking s#!t is saying they are not the same team without Kawhi, Siakam isn't a superstar (which I already stated I was wrong about), and FVV won't be as good as he was in the postseason? Are you okay man? It's an opinion. Talking trash is saying they are a garbage team with no hope or something totally degrading. I posted they are a 1st round exits that finishes 5th in the conference 😂 You guys get really triggered easily huh?

1 minute ago, RedRaider27 said:

Talking s#!t is saying they are not the same team without Kawhi, Siakam isn't a superstar (which I already stated I was wrong about), and FVV won't be as good as he was in the postseason? Are you okay man? It's an opinion. Talking trash is saying they are a garbage team with no hope or something totally degrading. I posted they are a 1st round exits that finishes 5th in the conference 😂 You guys get really triggered easily huh?

What I saw is a troll who got challenged, then set a "rule", then get exposed in a contradiction and then finally a return to trolling but hey, as you were. We get it. Have fun.

9 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

What I saw is a troll who got challenged, then set a "rule", then get exposed in a contradiction and then finally a return to trolling but hey, as you were. We get it. Have fun.

A troll? Really?? I barely even post around here and when I do, my posts are definitely not BS that a troll would post. I didn't set a rule, many would agree that the season doesn't even really start until Christmas. Seasons aren't won in October and November. Once again, I never talked trash in either post. I gave my opinion on how I thought their season would be then updated it saying Siakam is a superstar, not much else has changed as we are 10 games into the year. And again, I never trolled.  I don't get what you are trying to accomplish but whatever works for you. 

Close to 20 replies about this prestigious franchise. We're really hitting the ground running. 

13 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

A troll? Really?? I barely even post around here and when I do, my posts are definitely not BS that a troll would post. I didn't set a rule, many would agree that the season doesn't even really start until Christmas. Seasons aren't won in October and November. Once again, I never talked trash in either post. I gave my opinion on how I thought their season would be then updated it saying Siakam is a superstar, not much else has changed as we are 10 games into the year. And again, I never trolled.  I don't get what you are trying to accomplish but whatever works for you. 

Yeah similarly, seasons aren't lost before the start of the season (or after 10 games) either. And by lost I mean "1st round exit". 

Its okayyy lol, you made good points before the season started. The man just said that comment didn't age well. I am sure wasn't attacking you or your opinion. He was just exclaiming the Raptors are playing a lot better than any of us imagined. 

I swear. Sports fans are the most sensitive creatures on the planet. Everything strike a nerve. This is why we let teams battle it out on the court/field/rink/area/stadium...to settle all the raging testies. 

But I love it though. There is a reason why I listen to sports talk radio at home/car/work. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Abhi said:

Yeah similarly, seasons aren't lost before the start of the season (or after 10 games) either. And by lost I mean "1st round exit". 

Its okayyy lol, you made good points before the season started. The man just said that comment didn't age well. I am sure wasn't attacking you or your opinion. He was just exclaiming the Raptors are playing a lot better than any of us imagined. 

I would disagree. Seasons can be lost early in the year. You start off bad and you're playing catch up the whole season, especially in the West.

1 hour ago, RedRaider27 said:

I would disagree. Seasons can be lost early in the year. You start off bad and you're playing catch up the whole season, especially in the West.

With that logic, you can start off good and go on a run and then coast the ROS. 

11 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

Weird, I didn't know the playoffs were taking place right now. Actually, last I checked, we were about 10 games into the new season. How about you come back and try to "lol" my post when the season is over and then we'll talk. People like you trying to laugh at people a month into the season are literally insane. It's like drawing conclusions about a football team before we even hit October. The season doesn't even start in the NBA until Christmas. Meaning we don't know enough about a team and how they'll respond to adversity until that time. The Suns are having a great start to the season, do we really think they are gonna get in the playoffs? It's 10 games, they've had a nice start, more than likely they come back down to Earth. I will admit from my previous post that Siakam is a superstar, and one of the game's great young players. FVV is playing good but he's not playing as good as he did in the postseason, so I'm not sure how that's wrong?? Try again buddy.

Lol, it’s funny that a single sentence from me resulted in multiple rant posts from you, including one about how others are getting ‘triggered’. Take the L. Raps are good.

2 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

Lol, it’s funny that a single sentence from me resulted in multiple rant posts from you, including one about how others are getting ‘triggered’. Take the L. Raps are good.

So good they might almost get out of the 1st round. Amazing.