Sign in to follow this  
walker834

Mahomes at 4?

I just did a draft. With Elliott, barkley and Kamara off the board.   I may have even taken him over Kamara.  Still did good?  yahoo 10 team standard with .5 ppr.  I don't know what i was doing with my bench once I got so far into it.  I'm only going to use Guice, Brady, Sutton and Gallup in injuries.  It doesn't really matter if I took Big Ben or Dallas.  Good for a bye week maybe.

QB-Mahomes

WR-AJ Green

WR-Godwin

RB-James Conner

RB-Sony Michel

TE-Kittle

K-Gostkowski

Flex-Jarvis Landry

D-Chicago

B-Guice

B-Brady

B-Sutton

B-Gallup

B-Roethlisberger

B-Dallas

Like the Mahomes pick i'm drafting him even earlier than that next month in 2 leagues :) 

2 hours ago, walker834 said:

I just did a draft. With Elliott, barkley and Kamara off the board.   I may have even taken him over Kamara.  Still did good?  yahoo 10 team standard with .5 ppr.  I don't know what i was doing with my bench once I got so far into it.  I'm only going to use Guice, Brady, Sutton and Gallup in injuries.  It doesn't really matter if I took Big Ben or Dallas.  Good for a bye week maybe.

QB-Mahomes

WR-AJ Green

WR-Godwin

RB-James Conner

RB-Sony Michel

TE-Kittle

K-Gostkowski

Flex-Jarvis Landry

D-Chicago

B-Guice

B-Brady

B-Sutton

B-Gallup

B-Roethlisberger

B-Dallas

Sorry and no offense but this is an awful team in a 10 team league.  It’s not even a good 12 team team.  I hope you’re kidding.

Thanks.  My draft went like this

1. Mahomes

2. Conner

3. Kittle

4. Green

5. Michel

6. Bears

7. Godwin

8. Landry

9. Guice

10. Goskowski

11. Brady

12. Sutton

13. Roethlisber

14. Galop

15. Dallas

I don't think I got any major steals but solid picks I hope.  It's so early.  Conner sliding in round 2 was nice.  My teams usually do well and people think they are terrible.  I don't know.  It's definately early. But how exactly are the players I took bad players?  Only reason I took 2 QB's is because Roethlisberger was there and was the best player and I figured if something happens to Mahomes.  The bench can always be worked with waivers and usually I just draft whoever at the end.  If you have good starters you shouldn't need it except potential upside anyways.

Edited by walker834

Mahomes is great obviously, but I think you really shot yourself in the foot by taking him so high. 

With a current ADP of 28th overall, I think you could have waited until AT LEAST round two before considering him. 

Edited by SenatorSpaceman

7 hours ago, walker834 said:

I don't know what i was doing with my bench once I got so far into it

Your bench has great value, but a backup D and 2 backup QBs is too many. See if you can trade that early in the season.

12 hours ago, walker834 said:

QB-Mahomes

WR-AJ Green

WR-Godwin

RB-James Conner

RB-Sony Michel

TE-Kittle

K-Gostkowski

Flex-Jarvis Landry

D-Chicago

B-Guice

B-Brady

B-Sutton

B-Gallup

B-Roethlisberger

B-Dallas

3.2/10

18 hours ago, walker834 said:

Thanks.  My draft went like this

1. Mahomes

2. Conner

3. Kittle

4. Green

5. Michel

6. Bears

7. Godwin

8. Landry

9. Guice

10. Goskowski

11. Brady

12. Sutton

13. Roethlisber

14. Galop

15. Dallas

I don't think I got any major steals but solid picks I hope.  It's so early.  Conner sliding in round 2 was nice.  My teams usually do well and people think they are terrible.  I don't know.  It's definately early. But how exactly are the players I took bad players?  Only reason I took 2 QB's is because Roethlisberger was there and was the best player and I figured if something happens to Mahomes.  The bench can always be worked with waivers and usually I just draft whoever at the end.  If you have good starters you shouldn't need it except potential upside anyways.

Well when you put it like that, it all makes sense.  I like how you didn’t take any chances and scooped up Chicago D in the 6th.  Also, if Cooper and OBJ get injured, you’ve got guaranteed low end WR2 with Gallop and Landry.

And on the other side of that, you picked up true iron men with Green and Michele.

I think you should have drafted your kicker a little earlier to grab one of the big 2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, walker834 said:

If you have good starters you shouldn't need it except potential upside anyways.

Good point. I forgot there are no such things as bye weeks and injuries. But seriously, I know you don’t like the response you’re getting in here but this team genuinely does not look good. You used two of your first six picks on a QB and DST in a 10 team league, both several rounds earlier than their ADPs. That’s an outright bad approach. 

• Like 2

Thing is Deshaun Watson went 8 once I took Mahomes at 4.  The guy who took watson at 8 also has the best winning percentage that's nto me.   Thing is before the draft I had Mahomes or Luck as the QB I wanted this year and maybe Watson.  I'm nto really overthinking it.  I do well in these things like i said.  Sometimes looking good and being good are two differnet things  because if you look at the strength of my team i have a top qb, top d, and kicker and tight end which gives me an advantage.  I also have top running backs and receivers.  If i can get Elliott or Barkley obviously i take hose guys but after that it's really taking who i like.  ANd really Conner could be just as good as wasting a pick on Mcaffrey or a receiver that might not end up the top guy.  WIth Mahomes i know i have a top QB.  And like I said h ad i passed on Mahomes you think he'd be there 2nd round.  I think I was smart taking him there.  Watson went 8 overall once I took Mahomes. Every year someone does that and takes a QB in the first round.  Sometimes they aren't good but usually I am if I do that.

It was either Mahomes or wait on LUck for me like I said.  I'm not that high on too many other QB's this year.  A lot of people just take whoever and really it doesn't really work out for them.  They end up with mediocre teams. Unless you have a great running backs and receivers.  And most people aren't that good. We'll see but the difference between getting Mahomes and COnner and Michel or Mcaffrey.  Or even AJ Green vs some of the hyped receivers this year.  All i did was basically pass on Mcaffrey and got Mahomes and then drafted Conner.  And really Conner might be better anyways.

Edited by walker834

8 minutes ago, walker834 said:

Thing is Deshaun Watson went 8 once I took Mahomes at 4.  The guy who took watson at 8 also has the best winning percentage that's nto me.   Thing is before the draft I had Mahomes or Luck as the QB I wanted this year and maybe Watson.  I'm nto really overthinking it.  I do well in these things like i said.  Sometimes looking good and being good are two differnet things  because if you look at the strength of my team i have a top qb, top d, and kicker and tight end which gives me an advantage.  I also have top running backs and receivers.  If i can get Elliott or Barkley obviously i take hose guys but after that it's really taking who i like.  ANd really Conner could be just as good as wasting a pick on Mcaffrey or a receiver that might not end up the top guy.  WIth Mahomes i know i have a top QB.  And like I said h ad i passed on Mahomes you think he'd be there 2nd round.  I think I was smart taking him there.  Watson went 8 overall once I took Mahomes. Every year someone does that and takes a QB in the first round.  Sometimes they aren't good but usually I am if I do that.

It was either Mahomes or wait on LUck for me like I said.  I'm not that high on too many other QB's this year.  A lot of people just take whoever and really it doesn't really work out for them.  They end up with mediocre teams. Unless you have a great running backs and receivers.  And most people aren't that good.

You are correct. Everyone else is wrong. 

All id id was get Mahomes instead of taking Mcaffrey I got Conner who might be better anyways who knows.  I don't know how it will work out but we'll see.  I'm going to do another draft after preseason and I might go running back heavy in that one.  But I basically just took who i felt was the best player regardless of position.

Edited by walker834

18 minutes ago, walker834 said:

All id id was get Mahomes instead of taking Mcaffrey I got Conner who might be better anyways who knows.  I don't know how it will work out but we'll see.  I'm going to do another draft after preseason and I might go running back heavy in that one.  But I basically just took who i felt was the best player regardless of position.

You have to be trolling.

If you think the only possible mistake was taking Mahomes over McCaffrey, then you need to do more research than just asking questions on here.  

My apologies if you’re being sincere but I can’t imagine anyone who admittedly has played more than one season could end up with that team in a 10 team league.  

47 minutes ago, walker834 said:

i have a top qb, top d, and kicker and tight end which gives me an advantage.  I also have top running backs and receivers. 

Top QB- ✔️

Top DST- ✔️

Top kicker- ✔️

Top TE- ✔️

Top RBs and WRs- ✔️

Smells like a championship to me. Idk why you're even bothering asking about anything. 

• Haha 1

And by the way...you said you took 2 QB.  Was that a mistake or do you expect anyone believe you took Tyre Brady with your 11th pick?

5 minutes ago, K197040 said:

And by the way...you said you took 2 QB.  Was that a mistake or do you expect anyone believe you took Tyre Brady with your 11th pick?

He also said he doesn't like many QBs this year....and then proceeded to draft three of them. in a 10 team league. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, walker834 said:

My teams usually do well and people think they are terrible.  I don't know.  It's definately early. But how exactly are the players I took bad players?

Good draft strategy is not just about taking good players; it's also very much about taking good players at the right time.

Taking good players will get you 80%, and in a home league should be fine, or in a free Yahoo league where half the people have logged out by mid-season.

We're giving you advise to maximise your strategy, getting that 80% to 100%. In order to do that, it's essential to realise that K and D are not difference makers in a 10-team league, nor are QBs. On the other hand, RB and WR are.

So when you spend draft capital on the wrong position, you may be getting a good player, but you still leave value on the table. 

Getting 2 backup QBs in a 10-teamer leaves a LOT of value on the table. That can't be countered by "well I always do well". 

Still, good luck. Think about the points here, don't dismiss them, do your own research and see if it makes sense.

• Like 1

I'm not dismissing them.  I'm reading them.  Wasn't trolling either.  I posted this because I was genuinally curious what people think of this strategy.  I don't usually take QB's in the first round and not what I was saying.  Last year I did and finished 2nd place.  This year I tried to do better.  My other team won where I loaded up on running backs.  Also just saying most leagues people don't pay that much attention and they end up dismissing certain things themselves.  It's usually the other way around.  I'm paying attention.

As far as QB's there are a lot of them that can be good but this was just an early draft where I was trying to get the best one.  And Mahomes and Luck were the two guys I was targeting in particular.  There are other QB's I like but as far as being #1 overall.  Luck was more someone I would have targetted later if I had gone running back. 

I also think you can really overthink this stuff where going with my gut usually serves me well. I really wasn't overthinking it too much.  I just had a feeling when I was drafting that had I passed on Mahomes he wouldn't be there and there was a better chance of a running back sliding.  Sometimes it just works better that way when you really don't overthink it.

Edited by walker834

You should have taken Cmac in the first round.

I think you’ll still do fine though as long as Mahomes has another monster season. If he has a good season, you may be in trouble.

I will say though some people have “unorthodox” drafting methods but still do well each year. I just wouldn’t have drafted like this. 

3 QBs, 2 defense and an early kicker. You broke every rule in the book lol. I hope you win though. Good luck!

Over the weekend, I did a couple of 10 team mock drafts taking Mahomes at 4 and not drafting an early TE.   And even not making the other mistakes (early D, kicker, and 2 more QB),  I still couldn't come up with a team I felt good about in a 10 team league.   Then I tried taking Mahomes and letting Fantasy Pros autodraft and it still rarely graded above a C.

The reality is that you put yourself behind the 8 ball with that pick.   Going TE in the 3rd probably sealed the deal.  Any outside chance you had was ruined by taking 2 D's (one at 6), and 2 more QB.  And an early kicker.   As opposed to taking shots at potental high upside players.

For God's sake, you only have 3 RB (2 with injury concerns).

I still think that you might just be joking with this whole thing. 

On 7/20/2019 at 9:33 PM, Boudewijn said:

Good draft strategy is not just about taking good players; it's also very much about taking good players at the right time.

Taking good players will get you 80%, and in a home league should be fine, or in a free Yahoo league where half the people have logged out by mid-season.

We're giving you advise to maximise your strategy, getting that 80% to 100%. In order to do that, it's essential to realise that K and D are not difference makers in a 10-team league, nor are QBs. On the other hand, RB and WR are.

So when you spend draft capital on the wrong position, you may be getting a good player, but you still leave value on the table. 

Getting 2 backup QBs in a 10-teamer leaves a LOT of value on the table. That can't be countered by "well I always do well". 

Still, good luck. Think about the points here, don't dismiss them, do your own research and see if it makes sense.

TBH, no one is really giving him advice though. Majority of what I've read in here is nonsense from people who just want to criticize and tear down a stranger on the internet from the safety of being behind their keyboard rather than actually offer constructive criticism that would help them.

@walker834, don't listen to some of the peeps on here, just do you man. I'm obsessed with Mahomes too. That said, I think you may have reached for him a bit, but hey, if he gets close to what he did last year and you're a fan, you'll be pleased. Along with that, if reaching for the top QB, I don't think I would have gotten (2) backup QBs since they are mostly going to be on the bench. You maybe could have possibly added some depth with those picks. Anyway, hope it works out for you. If it doesn't, those will likely be the (2) biggest reasons. Definitely some upside here though.

Edited by ThreadKiller

31 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

TBH, no one is really giving him advice though. Majority of what I've read in here is nonsense from people who just want to criticize and tear down a stranger on the internet from the safety of being behind their keyboard rather than actually offer constructive criticism that would help them.

@walker834, don't listen to some of the peeps on here, just do you man. I'm obsessed with Mahomes too. That said, I think you may have reached for him a bit, but hey, if he gets close to what he did last year and you're a fan, you'll be pleased. Along with that, if reaching for the top QB, I don't think I would have gotten (2) backup QBs since they are mostly going to be on the bench. You maybe could have possibly added some depth with those picks. Anyway, hope it works out for you. If it doesn't, those will likely be the (2) biggest reasons. Definitely some upside here though.

There is lots of advice early in the thread. OP just doesnt want to hear it.

40 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

It’s either the first year playing FF or a troll post