Sign in to follow this  
walker834

Mahomes at 4?

34 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

TBH, no one is really giving him advice though. Majority of what I've read in here is nonsense from people who just want to criticize and tear down a stranger on the internet from the safety of being behind their keyboard rather than actually offer constructive criticism that would help them.

And finally, a white knight has arrived. 

Like dmb said, plenty of people offered genuine advice and thoughts early in the thread, but OP predictably didn’t like what he was hearing and his subsequent responses ignited a change in tone. 

Bottom line, people shouldn’t be in here asking for feedback if they have thin skin. Owners blow their drafts sometimes and when that happens, folks on the forum are going to be honest with them  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

It’s either the first year playing FF or a troll post

That's the thing.  He said he's played before and always done well.   So I lean toward the latter.

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

There is lots of advice early in the thread. OP just doesnt want to hear it.

Kind of like the below?

On 7/19/2019 at 10:25 PM, K197040 said:

Sorry and no offense but this is an awful team in a 10 team league.  It’s not even a good 12 team team.  I hope you’re kidding.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:50 AM, dmb3684 said:

3.2/10

How constructive.

1 hour ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

Like dmb said, plenty of people offered genuine advice and thoughts early in the thread, but OP predictably didn’t like what he was hearing and his subsequent responses ignited a change in tone.

people shouldn’t be in here asking for feedback if they have thin skin

-Wrong. The comments I highlighted above were early on, with one being before the OP had a chance to respond so saying he had good genuine advice isn't accurate as he was already put on the defensive.

He likely didn't like what he was hearing because of so many internet warriors jumping down his throat and insulting him. I don't blame him. He came for constructive criticism. Instead, he got petty insulting with some constructive criticism sprinkled in later on after he was forced onto the defensive.

-Second bolded part. Haha what? Just because someone asks for advice or opinions but instead gets insults and gets defensive about it, does not mean that he/she has thin skin. I have thick skin, but if someone insulted me for no reason when I asked for constructive criticism, I'd tell them to f off.

It's like saying "Hey what do you think of my new car?" and someone answers with "I think it sucks and I think you're an idiot for buying it." Then defending your answer by saying "Hey, don't ask if you don't want the truth.".

Edited by ThreadKiller

31 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Kind of like the below?

How constructive.

I didn't take it to be a serious thread.   He said he'd played before.   Anyone who's played more than once knows some of the main things not to do.  And he pretty much did all of them.

It's a joke.

Edited by K197040
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I didn't take it to be a serious thread.   He said he'd played before.   Anyone who's played more than once knows some of the main things not to do.  And he pretty much did all of them.

It's a joke.

Come on now, you knew he was serious, man. You even backtracked to offer your 2 cents.

Edited by ThreadKiller

Just now, ThreadKiller said:

Come on now, you knew he was serious, man. You even backtracked to offer your 2 cents.

Well...I started to feel bad because maybe that's really his team.  So I did throw my comments in.

But I don't think he's serious. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, SenatorSpaceman said:

Top QB- ✔️

Top DST- ✔️

Top kicker- ✔️

Top TE- ✔️

Top RBs and WRs- ✔️

Smells like a championship to me. Idk why you're even bothering asking about anything. 

First Round QB - ✔️

Pair early round TE with early round QB - ✔️

Make sure you have zero depth at RB - ✔️

Don't forget to reach for your D - ✔️

And let's get a kicker early (even if it's Gostowski) - ✔️

Time to back up my QB in round 11 - ✔️

Oh...better get a 3rd QB - ✔️

Now to double up D - ✔️

Edited by K197040

23 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Kind of like the below?

How constructive.

Well you just picked out two non constructive answers. Keep reading I guess.

• Haha 1

My man, never ever ever take a QB in the first round!!! I can't stress this enough. RB's should always be your #1 priority and after that it's a S-tier WR like Hopkins, Julio, Tyreek, or Davante. 

PLEASE DON'T TAKE A QB IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!

4 minutes ago, Tierjerk said:

My man, never ever ever take a QB in the first round!!! I can't stress this enough. RB's should always be your #1 priority and after that it's a S-tier WR like Hopkins, Julio, Tyreek, or Davante. 

PLEASE DON'T TAKE A QB IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!

Or 3 in a 10 team, 1 QB league.

Same goes for D/K

I went back and looked at my draft and really who i was taking at that time and what I needed considering who was there made good sense.  There are players I missed if I had drafted differently but I decided to go big with Mahomes as my first pick.   Trying to get him and where he is going to go is easier said than done.  Sure if you can sit back and wait until the 5th round but it was how I building my team.  I could use another running back.   I am strong at QB, TE, K, D.   And my running backs and receivers are really good too.  It's easier to say what was I thinking when you don't know what I was thinking and who was there. there are lots of good players though.  This team will be good barring any catastrophes at running back.  I'm thinking of offering up Godwin and Roethlisberger for Drake.  Maybe a stretch but this team will be fine.

Edited by walker834

23 minutes ago, walker834 said:

I went back and looked at my draft and really who i was taking at that time and what I needed considering who was there made good sense.  There are players I missed if I had drafted differently but I decided to go big with Mahomes as my first pick.   Trying to get him and where he is going to go is easier said than done.  Sure if you can sit back and wait until the 5th round but it was how I building my team.  I could use another running back.   I am strong at QB, TE, K, D.   And my running backs and receivers are really good too.  It's easier to say what was I thinking when you don't know what I was thinking and who was there. there are lots of good players though.  This team will be good barring any catastrophes at running back.  I'm thinking of offering up Godwin and Roethlisberger for Drake.  Maybe a stretch but this team will be fine.

How many years have you been playing FF?

I've been playing for a long time.  Since high school I think so like 20 years.  I also win a lot.  Not  much has changed how I draft either.  I try different things.  But usually have a set way I'm going to draft when I do and some base plan. This stuff isn't rocket science but just how I see it.  I take good players.  It's pretty easy.  

Edited by walker834
  • Haha 2

On 7/22/2019 at 1:47 PM, SenatorSpaceman said:

And finally, a white knight has arrived. 

Bottom line, people shouldn’t be in here asking for feedback if they have thin skin. Owners blow their drafts sometimes and when that happens, folks on the forum are going to be honest with them  

Just from my own observations over the years, I do feel that more times than naught people will dump on teams if they aren't exactly looking like a team they'd draft. 

For me personally I wouldn't take Mahomes that early, but considering he did i don't think the team is a loss or anything and the reason I say this is because all it takes is 1 or 2 good ww pickups to completely alter a team,especially when there are strong foundation players. 

Mahomes we know will roll hard. Conner is a foundation rb to build a team off of, kittle from what we know should be top tight end again unless he totally falls off the wagon, Michel can be solid if his knee is fine, green is a bit of a question mark injury wise but if he is back to normal that's decent, Godwin is set to breakout hopefully with desean gone...

Mainly he just needs a good ww pickup or two. 

Here's my gist mainly, on paper before seasons start we have ideas of what makes for a great looking team.. But the reality is once the season kicks in everything changes, players get hurt and waiver pickups can carry teams to victory. I've seen the ugliest teams scratch and claw their ways to victory, and while this isn't a team I'd probably draft it's not a team I'd see just instantly losing week in and out. 

Edited by Savatage79
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 8:42 PM, walker834 said:

QB-Mahomes

WR-AJ Green

WR-Godwin

RB-James Conner

RB-Sony Michel

TE-Kittle

K-Gostkowski

Flex-Jarvis Landry

D-Chicago

B-Guice

B-Brady

B-Sutton

B-Gallup

B-Roethlisberger

B-Dallas

To answer the initial question, yes, I believe taking Mahomes at #4 was probably a bit early. I'd have a really hard time passing on the likes of Nuk, Le'Veon, Julio, Gurley, etc. for a QB, especially when there's a decent chance the player will be available later on in the draft. That being said, if you really want a guy and don't want to take the chance that you could lose out on him, then you've got to pull the trigger and take them early. Kind of like when Cleveland took Baker #1 overall when they could have taken a chance and picked Sa'quon at #1 and likely got Baker at #4. I think they should have went with the ladder, but they didn't want to risk losing out on the QB they believed in. I'm a believer that there is a gap between Mahomes and the next best QB for fantasy reasons, which is why I'm seriously considering keeping Mahomes in my own 10 team league with 3 keepers. But keeping him effectively is the same thing as drafting him in the 3rd round, so still quite a bit later in the draft.

Looking at the rest on your roster, I really don't understand why you're carrying 3 QB, especially with someone like Mahomes on your team. I just think the odds of a #4 RB cracking your roster with 3 available spots (2 RB + 1 Flex) is greater than the #3 QB getting into your starting roster. Especially when you consider bye weeks and the injury risk at that position. But to each their own.

Overall, your roster still looks pretty good. You've got a top guy at each position and some good players to round out your roster, which is really what you want. I still look at that roster and think I'd prefer having Nuk over Godwin at the risk of having a different QB, but still should be a competitive roster.

5 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Just from my own observations over the years, I do feel that more times than naught people will dump on teams if they aren't exactly looking like a team they'd draft. 

For me personally I wouldn't take Mahomes that early, but considering he did i don't think the team is a loss or anything and the reason I say this is because all it takes is 1 or 2 good ww pickups to completely alter a team,especially when there are strong foundation players. 

Mahomes we know will roll hard. Conner is a foundation rb to build a team off of, kittle from what we know should be top tight end again unless he totally falls off the wagon, Michel can be solid if his knee is fine, green is a bit of a question mark injury wise but if he is back to normal that's decent, Godwin is set to breakout hopefully with desean gone...

Mainly he just needs a good ww pickup or two. 

Here's my gist mainly, on paper before seasons start we have ideas of what makes for a great looking team.. But the reality is once the season kicks in everything changes, players get hurt and waiver pickups can carry teams to victory. I've seen the ugliest teams scratch and claw their ways to victory, and while this isn't a team I'd probably draft it's not a team I'd see just instantly losing week in and out. 

I think more people are puzzled by the D, K, and extra QB selections. The starting roster looks OK for a 10 teamer. Not my flavor or starters tho

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

For me personally I wouldn't take Mahomes that early, but considering he did i don't think the team is a loss or anything......... 

I don’t think the forum’s reaction is based solely on the Mahomes blunder. He also drafted the same number of QBs (3) as he did RBs. He took a DST in round 6. A kicker in round 10, and so on....

The reason that this doesn’t look like a team any of us would draft is because it broke every rule of logic that is remedial to fantasy owners and could potentially spell disaster. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, walker834 said:

I've been playing for a long time.  Since high school I think so like 20 years.  I also win a lot.  Not  much has changed how I draft either.  I try different things.  But usually have a set way I'm going to draft when I do and some base plan. This stuff isn't rocket science but just how I see it.  I take good players.  It's pretty easy.  

Good luck then.  You’ll certainly need it.  And maybe they’ll decide not to have bye weeks this year.  Although I guess you’re set at QB and D.

In any event, if I think I have crappy drafts, I’ll be able to revisit this thread and remind myself that it could have been worse.

I have to know...you pretended to take Gostkowski in the 11th.  Does this mean that you’re pretending other teams took Zeurline and Tucker even earlier?  Or are you just pretending to like Gostkowski better?

6 hours ago, walker834 said:

Dude I dont get it.  You ask for thoughts then get pissed when people don't agree with your strategy.  All leagues are different and as you said you have had good luck in this league.  So why care what anybody says.  Honestly an any very competitive league taking a QB at 4 in a ppr is partial suicide.  If Mahomes can produce same numbers as last year then its a solid pick.  But that has never happened before.

1 hour ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

I don’t think the forum’s reaction is based solely on the Mahomes blunder. He also drafted the same number of QBs (3) as he did RBs. He took a DST in round 6. A kicker in round 10, and so on....

The reason that this doesn’t look like a team any of us would draft is because it broke every rule of logic that is remedial to fantasy owners and could potentially spell disaster. 

I actually was to lazy to reload another page and look at the team again lol but yea I meant to mention the 3 QB picks are pretty atrocious, no 10 man team needs that. 

I was more or less simply referring to his main lineup will contend, but yea for the rest of the picks and depth he's definitely going to struggle and needs to big time work the wire or make a trade or two. 

Edited by Savatage79

The reason I took Roethlisberger was because he was the best player on the board.  I did this last year too where it actually worked out for me because people were saying why would you take 3 QB's.  There is a method to my madness.  I can read situations well.  Last year for example I took Michel and White and people were criticizing me for taking 2 patriot running backs.  Thing is I had Elliott and Henry and Michel and White.  People were talling me to drop white and Chicago's D and a QB.  The year before I took the best defnese that was not rated that yet.  ANd I even said I'm good at this and Chicago will have the best D but people laughed at me and guess what they did.  I also knew Michel would be slow going at first because of camp issues and White would be valuable. Peopel were telling me to drop both.  I also took 3 qb's.  I'm tryiing to ensure I have a top 5 QB.  Most years I don't do this but I sensed a drop off with BRady last year so I took Luck later and Garropollo.  Garoppolo ended up getting hurt and Brady was not as good as past years and I ended up with Luck, Chicago's D, Elliott, Henry, Michel and White as my running backs.

That said I agree I need a 4th running back on this team possibly.  But the reason I took Roethlisberger is because it was the 13th round and there were no rb's I wanted and he was the best player on the board in case something happens to Mahomes.   I can also package him in a deal plus Godwin for a running back.   I was taking best player.  I took Brady as a back up this year.  It was him or Trubisky or someone like that.  I ended up taking Roethlisberger because it was the 13th round or 14th round and he was the best player there.  I did forget he lost Antonio Brown.  I could have taken someone else but there was really no one there.  

Other than that what does this team really need.  You say I'm going to struggle on bye weeks but I can drop players.  I'm not going to struggle on bye weeks because I just pick up the best player for that week vs drafting someone mediocre.

All I need covered on bye weeks are tight end and kicker and i just pick up the best player for that week and drop dallas for that week or something.  Or a QB.  Or one of my receivers.  I actually ensure I have the choice of pick up in those spots vs carryiing another tight end or kicker all year for what.  Everything else is covered.

I"m drafting for upside with my bench. Not for bye weeks.  If Maholmes goes down too.  I have options.  He is who I'm building my team around.  I would have preferred someone like Trubisky over Roethlisberger on second thought but whatever.  I think that was the only thing I screwed up and not getting a 4th running back.

I'll get a 2nd team which i usually do.  I do 2 teams and I'll go more running back heavy and draft bpa. Or try something else.

Edited by walker834

Point is drafting Roethlisberger in the 13th or 14th round is not going to affect my team at all except maybe if Mahomes gets hurt.   Or if I trade him.  E ven if he's total junk who cares.  I just drop him when a better player comes along.

Edited by walker834

Roth at 13 is fine if that's all you did but with Mahomes it wasn't really needed even at 13, but Chicago D at 6 and Brady at 11 are both bad for what you already had. With Mahomes you barely need a backup, and then Chicago D at 6 is just weird because that's nowhere near the time to break out Ds. 

Your starters will work but you wasted a handful of picks that could be more valuable than a D and backup QBs. If this was a 2 qb start league then I could see but I'm guessing it isn't 

Edited by Savatage79

I think McCoy was the best running back left when I drafted Roethlisberger.  I didn't want McCoy. If he does well sure but he's waiver bait and I'll find someone better if need be.

Chicago's D I took as the first defnese this year.  I'm that high on them or Baltimore I like.  I will draft other ways.   The Rams went right after i took the bears though 7th round the run on defenses happened.  And like I said the guy with the best winning percentage who is not me took Watson first round and the Rams after I took Mahomes  and the Bears.  And when I took them there weren't players I was dying to have.   I would have taken McCaffrey first round if it wasn't mahomes then taken Luck in the 5th or s omething.  And missed out of Michel and Drake anyways because they went 5th round.  Or waited even more and loaded up on running backs.  If I had taken McCaffrey I wouldn't have Mahomes though.  I'd have McCaffrey, Still could have drafted Conner and Michel or Drake. Then waited on a QB.  I looked at it.  Tight ends too.  Once Kittle off the board .   OJ HOward was going etc, etc.  So I couldn't have them all.  I took Michel 5th round and AJ green 4th.  I could have taken Drake and Howard with those picks.

I looked back at it had I gone another route I could have gone 1. McCaffrey 2. Antonio Brown 3. Henry 4. Howard 5. Drake.  That's probably the best I could have done then gone QB later.  I'll do something more like that my 2nd draft.

Edited by walker834