Sign in to follow this  
bomont

Potential trade/cut candidates

Per Rosenthal anyway FWIW: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001036419/article/nfl-training-camp-notable-players-who-could-be-tradedreleased

The only 2 that really raised an eyebrow for me were PK Crosby and LB Ragland, but Ragland only because I remember him being such a highly touted draft pick not long ago, obviously he didn't live up to it. I wonder how many will go "Hyde? No way!" lol

I was wanting to take a flier on Duke Johnson in the hopes that he would get traded elsewhere before the season.  But the article does bring up a great point about how with Hunt out for 8 games, they'll need somebody to spell Chubb.  Don't know why I never thought of it that way.  If Duke does get traded, maybe it is later on in the season, which of course makes him less appealing to own.

Speaking of Hunt, I could see them trading him next season if Chubb continues to show well.  No point having two alpha backs on the roster, right?

Duke about to be the new RB in Tampa and Shady is going to go somewhere justtttt annoying enough to put you off on the other two backs. Somewhere like the Texans, where you’ll never feel comfortable playing Shady, Lamar, or Foreman. Or he’ll go somewhere like Seattle with Carson coming off surgery and Pete Carroll being a “man of the people,” and all the Penny hype will be squashed. Wherever he goes, it’s gonna suck for one of our sleeper picks.

These articles have to be written, i know, but who in their right mind is trading for LeSean McCoy with his current contract?    He still has the third highest cap hit of any running back in the league.    Even if he had a 2018 season that was in line with his Buffalo average, that's a tough sell, and he was far from that last year.     He might have juice left, but even if there's a team that just has to get another back, there's other options.   

Cutting him would absolutely make sense if Singletary looks ready for a week 1 role.   I still dont think it happens though, i feel like it was gonna be in spring, or never.    

7 hours ago, BrianM said:

"... Cutting him would absolutely make sense if Singletary looks ready for a week 1 role. I still dont think it happens though, I feel like it was gonna be in spring, or never."

McCoy's been on better teams, the confidence they say they have could be genuine. Oh god, they had him surrounded and he didn't find a way out of that? Guy is done! How many other NFL 'backs ever had that ability in the 1st place? He's one of those alpha types, if they decide their lead guy is someone else, better off letting him go. I happen to agree that if they put better personnel around & in front of him, he could certainly outperform his ADP. Given this team's outlook, what exactly are the ramifications for showing an old, overpaid RB the door? Nothing... plus, they've said he has to win the lead role. So if it's looking like him, I wouldn't lend much weight to the, can't trade him, can't cut him, that's why he's there type reasoning.

To me there were better lead-type 'backs still on the board when they selected Singletary. I think both Damien Harris & Alexander Mattison are much better suited. It seems if this offense struggles, the game script could favor Yeldon... A lot of undersized RBs in this class, of those the one I like is Trayveon Williams. Disproportionately low, thick, compact build. Quick & fast, SEC 'back. The 'tweener who I think has a chance is Jalin Moore, really like him too. But both these guys are buried, may as well be in Siberia. :)        

Edited by markrc99

Kenneth Dixon looks like the odd man out of the Ravens' rb's and could become fantasy relevant if he is traded to a team that is weak at rb.

Several guys who are way above replacement level talent but stuck in bad situation, buried on the depth chart behind sunk cost/high salary starters, or poor scheme fits but would be instant fantasy starters if liberated (cut/signed or traded to another team).  Matt Breida, Gus Edwards,  John Ross, Willie Snead, Dallas Goedert, Cameron Brate, Ian Thomas, Jacoby Brissett, Nick Mullens, etc. 

1 hour ago, jumper said:

Several guys who are way above replacement level talent but stuck in bad situation, buried on the depth chart behind sunk cost/high salary starters, or poor scheme fits but would be instant fantasy starters if liberated (cut/signed or traded to another team).  Matt Breida, Gus Edwards,  John Ross, Willie Snead, Dallas Goedert, Cameron Brate, Ian Thomas, Jacoby Brissett, Nick Mullens, etc. 

You must be in a really big league.

2 minutes ago, bomont said:

You must be in a really big league.

Ooh, great comeback. Yes, some of us are in 14, 16 or even 20 team leagues. And?

It wasn't a "comeback" it was an observation. Most if not all of the players above would only be considered instant fantasy starters in larger leagues even if traded. I'd go slower but I don't think that's possible for such a simple statement. Not sure why you can't grasp it but whatever.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Ooh, great comeback. Yes, some of us are in 14, 16 or even 20 team leagues. And? 

And some of us play mostly best ball, so most of those guys you listed would be fantasy relevant. And some people play in leagues with bigger rosters, so you actually have to draft real sleepers rather than just sit back and pick them up on the waiver wire.

4 hours ago, bomont said:

It wasn't a "comeback" it was an observation. Most if not all of the players above would only be considered instant fantasy starters in larger leagues even if traded. I'd go slower but I don't think that's possible for such a simple statement. Not sure why you can't grasp it but whatever.

All those players are relevant in my 12 team league and currently being rostered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bomont said:

8 hours ago, jumper said:

- Matt Breida, RB22 in 2018 over the period where he was a starter, now buried behind Coleman and McKinnon. In a 12 team league with 2 RBs, that's a starter; if you have a flex, that's an asset.

- Gus Edwards, RB18 in standard over the period where he was a starter, now the #2 behind Ingram. Ship him to Tampa, ride him hard and this is a starter.

- John Ross, started several games in 2018, mostly week 10-17. WR49 during that period is not great, but that's behind Boyd and Green. Why not ship him to the Pats where N'Keal Harry is drafted as a rookie, basically because they have no-one?

- Willie Snead, yeah, nothing to see here, carry on. This is for the fans only.

Dallas Goedert: mega talented, 350 yards as a TE2 behind Ertz, which made him the 3rd rookie in 2018; and that's behind Mark Andrews and Chris Herndon (who started part of the season). Obviously they are not going to trade him, but just imagine this kid on the Raiders, the Rams or again, on the Pats.

- Cameron Brate: had 2 600-yard seasons, only 28, but now clearly the #2 behind OJ Howard. Any team need a decent TE? Oh, hey, it's the Pats again, is it? 

- Nick Mullens had 2200 yard and 13 TDs in the first 8 games of his NFL career (no game less than 220 yards, 2 of them over 300). Trade him to a decent team and in the 12 team he ends up on a bench, but in a a 14-16 team league you have a starter.

It's a pity you felt the need to include an insult, when I don't think that was needed. I think that even in a 12 team, at least half these guys are starters on the right team, in larger leagues definitely more.

Agree?

Edited by Boudewijn

NTM the topic at hand here.  Are we really going to find a stud fantasy player that's traded in July or August?  This clearly has to focus on guys that are somewhat marginal on their current team.    

I suppose we could at least look at some of the holdouts- its pretty rare they get moved but you never know, i guess.  I'll do another post talking about some of those fellas

So MG3 hasn't come up yet.    His situation is probably the most worthy of following given this topic.  If he's traded, he's one of the biggest late summer trades in recent years.   If he holds firm, LA becomes a prime candidate to deal for a useful fantasy back.    My logical self says there's low odds a team wants to give up picks and an extension for him, but i'll play my own devil's advocate with a sample of who should consider it

The Texans have a weak RB depth chart.  They have nearly 41 million in cap space.   They're a team in a tight division, with a lot of offensive talent, but a mediocre at best run game being part of their inability to progress past round one.    Want to mitigate the cost?  Cut Lamar Miller, save over 6 mil in cap this year.   Give Gordon a huge option bonus (dont tell me McNair can't afford it) now in lieu of a signing bonus, give yourself an out later on if he needs to get cut.   

• Like 1

Another team i'm checking out is the Jags.   That team finishing anywhere from 1st to 4th wouldn't surprise me.  Talented enough to dominate, if BD Nick can rally them and get them all confident.   Also capable of implosion as we saw last season.   I still think Marrone should've gotten canned.  If they win early, they'll be fine, but if they start slow, suffer some injuries, etc, i'm not sure Doug has what it takes to get the guys to persevere.   

Jalen Ramsey's already calling this the year he gets that money, yet there are no extension talks.  Ngakoue is one of the league's most underpaid guys and is holding out.   I imagine they'll get a few calls on both players.   Likely?  Of course not.  Impactful if it does somehow happen?  You bet.  

5 hours ago, sneakerfreak said:

All those players are relevant in my 12 team league and currently being rostered.

Jacoby Brissett being rostered or being an "instant starter" are two VERY different things. I'm with @bomont here. For Brissett to be an "instant starter", you'd have to be in like a 20+ team league which would back up his comment that "you must be in a really big league." It's super weird that that comment caused so many to get their panties in a wad. It's fact. For JACOBY BRISSETT to be an "instant starter", the league would have to be huge.

3 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

It's a pity you felt the need to include an insult, when I don't think that was needed. I think that even in a 12 team, at least half these guys are starters on the right team, in larger leagues definitely more.

Agree?

How is what he said: "you must play in a really big league" an insult? Am I missing something here?

Also, Nick Mullens is an "instant starter" in 14 team leagues? Interesting... Potential starter, sure? But "instant starter"? Ha no.

Edited by ThreadKiller

5 hours ago, sneakerfreak said:

I think you may be mildly missing my point. My post wasn’t to suggest guys who are not even typically drafted or at ADP 300+. As you point out quite a few of these guys probably are going to be rostered in most leagues (well at least the RBs will, unsure about the other positions like QB or TE unless you’re in a very deep or two QB league). 

Rather my point was if you are drafting early AND were thinking to pick one of these guys for a bench spot, make them one of your first bench choices. That way if the stars align you’ll have an instant starter at the cost of one bench spot. If you’re drafting now or in early August, don’t waste one of your bent spots on someone who is strictly a depth pick like Jamison Crowder or Chris Thompson. Pick some home run opportunity guy line these instead and hope you strike gold. 

Yeah it’s a longhot, but if at the start of week one they’re still buried on the depth chart and show no signs of escaping, then cut them and pick up the new flavor of the week on the waiver wire.

Edited by jumper
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

How is what he said: "you must play in a really big league" an insult? Am I missing something here?

Also, Nick Mullens is an "instant starter" in 14 team leagues? Interesting... Potential starter, sure? But "instant starter"? Ha no.

What's confusing @Boudewijn?

1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

What's confusing @Boudewijn?

- you cherry pick the names and ignore the bigger picture, for which I think I gave sufficient arguments

- you ask me about a Bomont quote which was irrelevant and ignore the part that I bolded in my reply.

I thought both were quite confusing.

15 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

- you cherry pick the names and ignore the bigger picture, for which I think I gave sufficient arguments

- you ask me about a Bomont quote which was irrelevant and ignore the part that I bolded in my reply.

I thought both were quite confusing.

-Cherry picked? It was mentioned Nick Mullens and Jacoby Brissett were instant starters outside of large leagues. I disagree.

The point is, listing all these players and then mentioning they are all instant starters deserved a response of "sure if you're in a really big league." The fact that some of you took such odd offense to that is weird and to be frank, this is the only thing that's confusing here.

-It wasn't "irrelevant". You claimed he was insulting... I asked how is he being insulting? All he said was "you must be in a really big league." and YOU strangely said "ooooh great comeback." What was said after that by bomont was strictly because YOU put him on the defensive by being confrontational.

Edited by ThreadKiller