Sign in to follow this  
dudewithabadcat

Rex Burkhead 2019 Outlook

No one can be sure what exactly is happening in Patriot's Land right now.  We have news of Sony Michel opening up preseason on the PUP.  We have a new 3rd Round RB draft pick in Harris.  Then, we still have the ever-so-awesome Mr. White.  So what dude?  Ok, here are my thoughts:

1. Sony, by all means, is still worthy of a 4th Round selection.  Whenever he gets back, he is going to dominate touches and the field.  

2. Patriots first 5 or 6 games are totally delicious match ups for the running game. 

3. If Sony is to miss or be in Patriots' Purgatory with being injured and not fully healthy - touches are going to go elsewhere

4. Burkhead is not dead folks!!!  He is still a talent.  The Patriots still brought him back.  They included him in the gameplans throughout the end of last year.

5. Oh, this team is going to run the damn ball

6. Stay tuned....something might be brewing in Foxboro that you can pick up in the last round of your draft (or not). 

Sexy Rexy... had only 2 100 yard games in his entire career. How completely Belichick would that be to suddenly make him into the Pats star of 2019?

I ain't buying though, mister. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Sexy Rexy... had only 2 100 yard games in his entire career. How completely Belichick would that be to suddenly make him into the Pats star of 2019?

I ain't buying though, mister. Sorry.

I'm playing 3D chess while you are playing checkers bro. 

Didn't say he was going to be a star. Oh no no no.  These first five games are going to be cakewalks and we might see the Patriots take their time with Sony.  Depending on how quickly Mr. Harris gets onboarded, I think you might see some serious value with Sexy Rexy and possibly turn that into a nice trade opportunity Week 3-4.  

Edited by dudewithabadcat
  • Like 2

BB loves his Sexy Rexy... Got to admit... Didn't see this cat coming out party in week 1

33 minutes ago, CoffToff10 said:

Anyone streaming him this week against Miami?

Tempting. Especially if A. Brown is out.

For me it's M. Sanders or Burkhead.

I would have to bench Golladay at Flex and I just don't trust BB to give #SexyRexy the touches. This week it could be James White who leads Pat RBs in production. Or Sony could...you just never know with BB so until I see a set pattern over a couple-three weeks, he's probably going to go to waste on my bench unfortunately.

Edited by wayzupusc

I just can't see this Miami offense getting anything done this week. Figure Pats have a lot of TOP, doesn't make sense for them to run Michel into the ground. It's a risky move but feels right this week.

20 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

I would have to bench Golladay at Flex and I just don't trust BB to give #SexyRexy the touches. This week it could be James White who leads Pat RBs in production. Or Sony could...you just never know with BB so until I see a set pattern over a couple-three weeks, he's probably going to go to waste on my bench unfortunately.

Starting Golladay over him is the right move for sure. 

It was encouraging to see how much he was used in the passing game, in a PPR I think he'll produce a solid floor, nothing sexy but certainly productive.

Starting to really like Rex's stash appeal. I wouldn't trust him as my Flex right now, but if Michel or White were to go down Rex's value would skyrocket. He can get it done in all phases. 

• Like 1

I think (aka hope) he has a big game when they go up big on Miami and rest Michel/White.  Miami won't put up much of a fight.  Also, I'm not sure I have a choice but to start him since I have Mixon and Carson as my starters and Guice, Mattison, and now Burkhead (WW pickup) on my bench.  If Mixon can't go, I have to roll with Burkhead and hope for the best (I may do that anyway). 

Think Rex is a cheap way to get a piece of this offense.

He's healthy and he definitely has a role. White is the pure receiving back and S. Michel is only a two down back. What makes Burkhead appealing to Bill is that when he is in the game, he is not tipping whether it is a run or pass, because when healthy, he can do both.

And we know Michel can get dinged. And oh by the way, there's no gronk.

And their schedule is an absolute cakewalk.

Worth a flyer for sure.

7 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Think Rex is a cheap way to get a piece of this offense.

He's healthy and he definitely has a role. White is the pure receiving back and S. Michel is only a two down back. What makes Burkhead appealing to Bill is that when he is in the game, he is not tipping whether it is a run or pass, because when healthy, he can do both.

These are some good points. 

9 hours ago, CoffToff10 said:

doesn't make sense for them to run Michel into the ground. It's a risky move but feels right this week.

I don't think that this part of the BB consideration per say if there is a RBBC where he feels comfortable with all options.  Frankly Burkhead looked better between the tackles than Michel last week.  Michel might have been a first round pick but Burkhead might have as much value in BB's eyes. 

4 minutes ago, Cord said:

Do folks consider him a sort of handcuff to Michel?

He is like half handcuff, half stand alone value.  I don't think the situation changes drastically if Michel is injured.  I see Damien Harris getting more snaps.  

4 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

He is like half handcuff, half stand alone value.  I don't think the situation changes drastically if Michel is injured.  I see Damien Harris getting more snaps.  

I agree! I'm still holding Harris because of this. 

Burkhead is a guy you can plug in as a flex or on bye weeks and feel ok about it.

Seems to me his volume was mainly dependent on game script. But then again it seems the Patriots will be in a lot of games like that this year.

Lots of talk about how the Pats will often be playing with a lead, and that Rex is most suited to be the closer and get a significant snap share like he did last week.

DON'T FALL FOR IT!  The Hoodie will F with your mind.  He knows what all the fantasy experts are saying, and then he'll do completely the opposite.  this week it will probably be Harris.

Was harris active game one? I would say if harris is active and brown plays avoid at all costs. If harris is inactive he may be a decent flex play for those without a lot of options.

Dude clearly looked like the Pats best RB and getting no love!  You think BB cares where you drafted Michel or White?  :)

1 hour ago, Texansfan said:

Dude clearly looked like the Pats best RB and getting no love!  You think BB cares where you drafted Michel or White?  :)

Pump the brakes - it has been one week.  Plus, when has Burkhead been able to stay healthy? Never...

hes the double handcuff, if White gets hurt hes gold, if Michel gets hurt hes gold, and hes going to have some value some weeks regardless

5 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

hes the double handcuff, if White gets hurt hes gold, if Michel gets hurt hes gold, and hes going to have some value some weeks regardless

Yea, I'm coming around to this. Damien Harris does not seem to pose a threat to Burkhead's value just yet.