Sign in to follow this  
dudewithabadcat

Rex Burkhead 2019 Outlook

10 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

Does anybody have insight as to whether Burkhead or Harris is the Michel handcuff?

Think it was stated above that Harris has been a healthy inactive so far this season. Way I look at it, Burkhead is the handcuff for both Michel AND White.

He has some standalone value but I would think most would have better options week-to-week depending on the league. If Michel or White go down, then he'd be hard not to start.

• Like 1

I'm actually beginning to think about throwing him on the end of my bench in some spots. I think he has some upside this weekend as well. From a receiving role, he only has one less target than White (10 to White's 11). The Miami game was obviously going to focus on Michel's usage so it's hard to point to them wanting to lean on him all of the time. Their O-line is also pretty banged up so the short passing game will be one way to try and control the pass rush. 

This guy was a difference maker in fantasy towards the end of the 2017 season, and that was with Lewis grinding away in the role Michel is in now. Definitely paying close attention to Burkhead moving forward. I like him over some of these other spec adds like Darwin Thompson and Ty Johnson.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kidsgotsoul said:

I'm actually beginning to think about throwing him on the end of my bench in some spots. I think he has some upside this weekend as well. From a receiving role, he only has one less target than White (10 to White's 11). The Miami game was obviously going to focus on Michel's usage so it's hard to point to them wanting to lean on him all of the time. Their O-line is also pretty banged up so the short passing game will be one way to try and control the pass rush. 

This guy was a difference maker in fantasy towards the end of the 2017 season, and that was with Lewis grinding away in the role Michel is in now. Definitely paying close attention to Burkhead moving forward. I like him over some of these other spec adds like Darwin Thompson and Ty Johnson.  

Thanks. I do like the fact that with Burkhead you are looking at a weekly floor of 6-7 points and the ceiling of 25ish. He is involved every week, the staff loves him, and Brady loves him. He seems to be getting his groove back too. 

All too often we shoot for the moon only to not even get off the ground. That’s what scares me about Darwin and Ty. I actually see Ty potentially being a weekly flex option. Darwin is an enigma of sorts right now. 

Burkhead is a super solid option to add depth to your bench. I think Mostert brings that same value to your bench. 

• Like 1

1.) Rex was drafted around 5th-6th rd, where Sony is drafted now.

2.) Sony was around 8th-10th rd, White was later...

3.) Rex goes to special teams, gets blasted with an injury and concussion

4.) The herd gets thinned to two RBs.

5.) Everyone cashed out happy.

Repeat, rinse...

11 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

Does anybody have insight as to whether Burkhead or Harris is the Michel handcuff?

This is why the situation in NE is as murky as ever. Burkhead is a jack of all trades. He can work early downs, He can be your GL back, He is great at catching the ball out of the backfield, you can line him up outside and he can work in the hurry-up offense. Essentially, he can do everything that White AND Michel can do. I don't think that there is a obvious "handcuff" for Michel. I think Burkhead would get slightly more reps, without over-working him, while Harris will also see time as well.

If 2017, is any indication of what to expect, as long as Burkhead is healthy, you'll want him. Long term leagues like keepers, you'll want Harris.

1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

This is why the situation in NE is as murky as ever. Burkhead is a jack of all trades. He can work early downs, He can be your GL back, He is great at catching the ball out of the backfield, you can line him up outside and he can work in the hurry-up offense. Essentially, he can do everything that White AND Michel can do. I don't think that there is a obvious "handcuff" for Michel. I think Burkhead would get slightly more reps, without over-working him, while Harris will also see time as well.

If 2017, is any indication of what to expect, as long as Burkhead is healthy, you'll want him. Long term leagues like keepers, you'll want Harris.

I see Damien Harris as a straight up handcuff to Burkhead.  Which, of course, would make Harris a handcuff for White and Michel.  

One other thing that boggles my mind - Michel caught a lot of passes in college.  I feel like the Patriots are just holding out on having Michel catch the ball out of the backfield until they are 3rd and 6 in the AFC championship and need a play.  This seems very BB like. 

I also think he may be the biggest beneficiary. Brown ran shorter routes and Burkhead also catches a lot of those targets. 

James Develin being out: https://www.patriots.com/news/week-3-patriots-jets-injury-report

Much of Sony's success is running with the "I-Formation" or the "12-personnel"...

While Burkhead did run well without a Fullback, and an extra TE...

Call me a speculator if you're in a pinch during week 3

Edited by Szer0
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Szer0 said:

James Develin being out: https://www.patriots.com/news/week-3-patriots-jets-injury-report

Much of Sony's success is running with the "I-Formation" or the "12-personnel"...

While Burkhead did run well without a Fullback, and an extra TE...

Call me a speculator if you're in a pinch during week 3

Could be a big James White day too.  

Seems like a perfect flex play today , good solid RB2 floor and potential for TD(s) upside. Almost no-brainer FLEX in PPR.

Edited by screaming_vultures

This has to be a nice day for sexy Rexy right? He's going to be the only true "pass catching" back that they use today, and has already been getting involved in the run game prior to this week. Hopefully Bill doesn't throw a curveball and use a ton of Damien Harris instead, although he's been a healthy scratch the last two weeks so I just don't see that happening all of a sudden.

Let's f***inggggg goooooo Rex

Pass catching back and could surprise with some GL work. Fire up sexy Rexy (pause)...lol

White out.. playing the JV Jets...no more AB mess...

on paper it looks like a big Rexy game

7 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Nice game for Sexy Rex. Michel isn’t getting it done. Rex is a HODL.

I am interested to see what happens when James White comes back...

It was 40:30:30 ish split favoring Michel/White/Rexy prior to this week...

This week it went 70:20:10 favoring Rexy/ BOLDEN / Sony...Does that mean Rexy taking the Dion Lewis (1st/2nd down back role)???

Pumped to get more data next week.

This is the 3rd year in a row this has happened and it’s going to be the 3rd year in a row he disappoints people. You shouldn’t ever feel comfortable starting Burkhead. 

10 minutes ago, sSektor said:

This is the 3rd year in a row this has happened and it’s going to be the 3rd year in a row he disappoints people. You shouldn’t ever feel comfortable starting Burkhead. 

Felt comfortable starting him yesterday with White out and he delivered.

• Like 2