Sign in to follow this  
tonycpsu

Trent Grisham (OF-MIL)

Formerly going by the name Trent Clark (and still listed under that name on Yahoo), Milwaukee's first round pick (15th overall) from the 2015 draft is finally paying dividends this season.  He didn't begin the year on many top prospect lists due to very poor numbers to start his career, and just barely made it on to MLB Pipeline's 2019 top 30 for the Brewers, but things definitely seem to be clicking for him in 2019.

Grisham began the season slashing a solid .254/.371/.504 with 13 HR in 283 PA at AA Biloxi, then went supernova at AAA San Antonio, with a .349/.425/.698 line and 10 bombs in 121 PA.  He isn't profiling as a major speed asset so far, going 22 for 30 across his ~1.5 seasons in the high minors, but looks like he could chip in some bags if given the opportunity.  I'm really encouraged by his steady improvement in K%, and he's not afraid to take his walks either.

Ryan Braun isn't getting any younger, and Lorenzo Cain has taken a step back this season as well, so the Brew Crew could be in need of OF reinforcements in the near future.  Neither Corey Ray nor Troy Stokes are lighting AAA on fire yet, and most of the other OF in their system look like they're several years away.  I see a lot of potential here with very few roadblocks if he can show that his AAA performance isn't a mirage.

Links:

FanGraphs

Prospects Live Mid-Season Update (#88)

Trent Grisham, OF (MIL) - One of 2019’s biggest popup prospects, Grisham is back on the prospect map after his tremendous success in Double-A and now Triple-A. The 22-year-old is hitting .259/.370/.517 on the year and if you remove a very slow April, he’s up to .271/.393/.568. Since May 1 he’s walked more than he’s struck out and has shown great power (.296 ISO and top 10% in AAA flyball distance). If you want to knock him it’s that he’s slightly pull heavy so he’ll have to fight against the shift. But we’re drooling about the thought of a power lefty bat in Miller Park. Go and grab him if he’s available.

The Dynasty Guru June Update

Trent Grisham, Milwaukee Brewers. The fifteenth overall pick in the 2015 draft, Grisham (formerly, Clark) was a well-regarded hitter, and he even enjoyed a strong debut (.309/.424/.430). Unfortunately, over the next three years, he failed to delivery on his promising bat, hitting just .228/.347/.344 over 1,236 plate appearances. During that time, he did continue to draw tons of walks (16%) and he remained above league-average each year. This year, Grisham has finally discovered his power stroke, launching 17 home runs, nearly eclipsing his career total (19). In June, he hit 10 of those home runs between Double-A and Triple-A (.286/.436/.702). Meanwhile, he is still walking up a storm (15.1%) with some speed (7 SB). Although it is difficult to read too much into this small sample of success, Grisham is looking more like a legit prospect with average tools across the board.

Razzball Minor League Update, July 10th

Trent Grisham, RF | MIL – Hitting .271 with five homers and two steals in 16 games with Triple-A San Antonio. That’s 18 homers on the year for Grisham between AA and AAA. I didn’t rank him coming into the season, mainly because of his struggles in AA last year, but he seems to have made some genuine improvements, raising his average over 40 points while keeping the power – as well as the walk and strikeout rates – steady. I’d say he’s definitely worth a sneaky look if he’s available in dynasty formats.

• Like 2

note that he had a relatively slow april in AA too, and then started hitting like crazy starting in may. so the explosion didn't really start in AAA, i grabbed him while he was still in AA because he had started going off there. in case anyone's worried that it's just the new improved AAA baseball helping him

• Like 1

It seemed like the Brewers got a steal with Clark after seeing his pro debut as he hit like a maniac after getting drafted in 2015. I definitely remember falling in love with Clark back then and it's great to see that's he back on the map. I feel like if there's one thing that you can't teach or obtain over time is elite bat speed and it's something (if I recall correctly) Clark has always been lauded for. Now that he's hitting again, my completely amateur scouting abilities do not see why he can't be a potential all star like had the projection to be in early 2016. A post-hype sleeper if there ever was one, although maybe not a sleeper anymore since he's (deservedly) getting a ton of mainstream hype. Can't think of a better under the radar impact bat than him for ROS and can't wait to see him in the show once he's called up.

• Like 1

Yeah development is seldom linear, and it is not always a bad thing when a prospect deals with some adversity. Lots can still go down (with trades, etc) but I think he has a chance to be the Crew's starting LF next season.

Posted (edited)

Brewers beat writer.. maybe a little more official? @tonycpsu

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1

@osb_tensor: eh, sorta. Passan's reliable, so that's not the issue -- It's the lack of any sort of timeline other than "soon".  We don't want the thread full of a bunch of speculation if it turns out they're not calling him up for a while, or if they change their mind and then we have to remove it and start over when he does get the call.

Funny that Passan's tweet referred to him as "arguably the Brewers' top prospect."  MLB Pipeline had him listed as their 30th best barely a month ago.  Exhibit #94,172 why you shouldn't put too much stock in rankings outside of the top 100 or so.

@Backdoor Slider made an excellent point in Grisham's (locked, for the time being) Baseball Talk thread, which is that there might actually be significant playing time available if the Brewers move Braun to 1B now that Aguilar's gone.  Funny to think so many were calling him a bust before the season, and now he could be in line for significant reps alongside Cain and Yelich.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

@osb_tensor: eh, sorta. Passan's reliable, so that's not the issue -- It's the lack of any sort of timeline other than "soon".  We don't want the thread full of a bunch of speculation if it turns out they're not calling him up for a while, or if they change their mind and then we have to remove it and start over when he does get the call.

Funny that Passan's tweet referred to him as "arguably the Brewers' top prospect."  MLB Pipeline had him listed as their 30th best barely a month ago.  Exhibit #94,172 why you shouldn't put too much stock in rankings outside of the top 100 or so.

@Backdoor Slider made an excellent point in Grisham's (locked, for the time being) Baseball Talk thread, which is that there might actually be significant playing time available if the Brewers move Braun to 1B now that Aguilar's gone.  Funny to think so many were calling him a bust before the season, and now he could be in line for significant reps alongside Cain and Yelich.

Such a weird career. Once was a low average guy with speed (.223/37 SB in 2017 A+) to now a .300 hitter with 26 HRs. He went from Jose Peraza to Nelson Cruz. Huh? 

I have no idea what to think about him. Maybe a Domingo Santana clone? Strange profile.

Yeah, and you can't even blame the happy fun ball, since he showed the power spike before he reached AAA.  Total wild card, but don't want to miss out if there's something here.

Posted (edited)

Is he on yahoo?

Edit. He is in Yahoo but his name is trent Clark for some reason 

Edited by Kramjam24

what are the chances of yahoo not knowing he change his name and they add a Trent Grisham and leaving a Trent Clark in the player poll?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

Is he on yahoo?

Edit. He is in Yahoo but his name is trent Clark for some reason 

He may have been in the past but he has been listed as Trent Grisham for the last 24 hours at least if not longer.  There is no Trent Clark listed at all on Yahoo.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I added him on Yahoo yesterday and he was still Clark.