The G Man

Devin Singletary 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, jeremyt7 said:

Is he going to be active this week."?

With the bye next week I saw odds of him being active are 1%

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

With the bye next week I saw odds of him being active are 1%

I’d put them a little higher than that but I imagine if he does play his snaps will be limited.  Gore has been doing alright.  Even if he’s in you’d need to be pretty desperate to start him

On 10/2/2019 at 11:23 AM, oban14 said:

Singletary is averaging what - 12.5 YPC?   Gore is a legend but he's old and Singletary is the best RB they have when healthy.

No he's not. 

You are looking at YPC of a small sample for a change of pace back that gets used on off tackle, sweep, and mis-direction plays a few times a game... Compared to a guy pounding between the tackles. They bring two completely different sets of skills and Singletary isn't a feature back that can run between the tackles effectively like Gore can. Gore was kept and Shady was jettisoned because of Gores between the tackle running ability. 

Singletary, when he returns, will likely return to his change of pace and pass catching role ala James White or Gio Bernard. He would need an injury to Gore to get his crack at full share.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

No he's not. 

You are looking at YPC of a small sample for a change of pace back that gets used on off tackle, sweep, and mis-direction plays a few times a game... Compared to a guy pounding between the tackles. They bring two completely different sets of skills and Singletary isn't a feature back that can run between the tackles effectively like Gore can. Gore was kept and Shady was jettisoned because of Gores between the tackle running ability. 

Singletary, when he returns, will likely return to his change of pace and pass catching role ala James White or Gio Bernard. He would need an injury to Gore to get his crack at full share.

By week 8 Singletary owns this backfield.  Gore is a dinosaur.  Torch will be passed when Singletary is ready 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, lla887 said:

By week 8 Singletary owns this backfield.  Gore is a dinosaur.  Torch will be passed when Singletary is ready 

That’s right - he’s a frickin’ T-Rex who’s about to bite your head off!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

No he's not. 

I actually think this is spot on. It’s easy to fall into the trap of being enamored by a rookie RB who flashes early. But the sample size is incredibly small, and likely not indicative at all of what to expect going forward. Probably a great sell high point for Singletary while many are viewing him as a workhorse-in-waiting. It’s more likely that he and Gore compliment each other all season and possibly next season too. If not Gore in 2020 Singletary will likely be sharing with someone else. I could see Derrick Henry in Buffalo.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I actually think this is spot on. It’s easy to fall into the trap of being enamored by a rookie RB who flashes early. But the sample size is incredibly small, and likely not indicative at all of what to expect going forward. Probably a great sell high point for Singletary while many are viewing him as a workhorse-in-waiting. It’s more likely that he and Gore compliment each other all season and possibly next season too. If not Gore in 2020 Singletary will likely be sharing with someone else. I could see Derrick Henry in Buffalo.

Thanks... And just to expand further on this, the offensive coordinator of the Bills is former Patriots assistant Brian Daboll who has installed the same type of Erhardt Perkins offense and the Bills are all in on it with acquiring the right personel -- this offseason adding a couple young pass catching tight ends, Cole Beasley to run that slot role Welker/Edelman have for so long and Singletary to fit that change of pace and pass catcher role like James White or Kevin Faulk back in the day.... Look at how the Patriots have used their running backs and I would expect something similar.

6 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Just a reminder that Singletary has never NOT shown flashes at any point during his life, and his Sophomore year scored 33 touchdowns in 14 games.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Just a reminder that Singletary has never NOT shown flashes at any point during his life, and his Sophomore year scored 33 touchdowns in 14 games.

You could say the bolded about every RB in the NFL. You could probably find crazy college stats about most of them too. Duke Johnson comes to mind. (DJ 5’ 9”/210, DS 5’ 7”/203)

Duke Johnson on the cusp of owning every major Miami Hurricanes rushing record

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2014/11/19/duke-johnson-miami-hurricanes-records-all-time-career-single-season/

Nobody is saying Singletary isn’t a very good RB, just that he’s probably not going to be the bell cow fantasy RB we want him to be. Not because he isn’t capable, just because timeshares make too much sense in the NFL, and he’s sharing the backfield with a proven, trusted, veteran who refuses to go away. 

My guess is Singletary will continue flashing on a weekly basis which will make the timeshare with Gore perpetually frustrating for fantasy owners. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford

100% agree with that assessment but I would love to see what this guy could do with more carries if Gore got banged up. Maybe he comes back to earth but if not look out

I think they're gonna sit him one more week and bring him back after the bye. That was probably the plan all along. Just giving the Patriots something else to think about. 

After the bye, I think we'll probably see another game where he's the change-of-pace RB. But it is against Miami, so he could get a lot of work in the 2nd half. He'll take over as the workhorse soon after.

4 minutes ago, Jubanton said:

Will he ever shake Frank Gore? Not that confident that the timeshare ever goes easy...

Imo, as long as BUF keeps winning, I think they keep a time share of Gore/Singletary.

3 hours ago, potatoetree said:

Given his good rest of season schedule, how would you guys compare him to other RB's in RBBC, eg Eagles, Bronco's, Falcons RBs?

I rather have him than any of the broncos RBs and any of the eagles. Prob take Freeman over him

On 10/9/2019 at 9:23 PM, PlayTheWaivers said:

All healed up and ready to rock.

Do you know this or just hope it?