The G Man

Devin Singletary 2019 Outlook

Hopefully he can keep up this pace for ROS.

But that playoff schedule does look brutal. Maybe sell high??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Next week should be a good game as well

46 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Sell for who? He's a fine hold 

Watching Frank Gore get a bunch of goal line carries this week and just run into the back of his oline and fall was hard to watch but It also likely strengthened Singletary's role in this offense. Gore is nothing more than a placeholder. The better Singletary gets the less we will see Gore going forward. 

• Like 2

In 2015-2016 Gore had absolutely no competition on the Colts. In 2017, he was competing with a rookie in Mack who struggled to stay healthy and the Colts were awful. In 2018, the Dolphins kept feeding him over Drake - we’ve seen what an incompetent organization they’ve been.

Perhaps (no guarantee, but perhaps) the impression that a 36 year old Gore will never go away is not true. Singletary is clearly their best back, and the Bills are 6-2 with a great chance at only their 2nd playoff appearance since 1999. Singletary may be about to take over the workhorse role in this backfield. Goal line touches will certainly be important to watch. 

• Like 1

This guy has Lamar Jackson type jukes. So few people can stop on a dime and make people miss in such close quarters. No disrespect to Lamar Jackson, he's a freak and a generational quarterback.

6 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Sell for who? He's a fine hold 

Yeah I don't think he has the name value or consistent production to get back what you'd need to warrant selling. Probably better off holding and hoping this is the breakout and not just an outlier. I think it's the former. Health and inexperience were the main things holding him back and he will take control of this backfield since he's clearly far more talented and effective than his AARP backfield mate

I would consider playing at least as a flex play especially if he takes over Gore as the lead back. He has a hard playoff schedule but it is a cakewalk until then.

Why does everyone keep saying the playoff schedule so scary?

Week 14 vs Cleveland : Philip Lindsey just went 9-92 against them

Week 15 vs Pitt : Mack just went 21-89 against them

Week 16 vs NE : Gore ran for over 100 yards the first time they played

A lot of Singletary's damage comes via the passing game as well. Also Cle and Pitt may be seriously checked out by the end of the season and NE may have already clinched home field advantage. 

Edit: disregard week 14, looking at the wrong week. Baltimore that week. Still I think he could easily put up a nice line there too

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, owenmills said:

A lot of Singletary's damage comes via the passing game as well. Also Cle and Pitt may be seriously checked out by the end of the season and NE may have already clinched home field advantage. 

Exactly, also time and time again we've seen people seriously overestimate a matchup vs defense when it comes to fantasy... 

Edited by HeHateMe23
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeHateMe23 said:

Exactly, also time and time again we've seen people seriously overestimate a matchup vs defense when it comes to fantasy... 

Like what damien just did to the "impenetrable" Vikings defense.

6 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

Like what damien just did to the "impenetrable" Vikings defense.

And Drake to the 49ers, Latavius Murray to the Bears

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gufomel said:

And Drake to the 49ers, Latavius Murray to the Bears

Tbf the bears run defense has fallen apart due to losing akem hicks. Agree with the point though, people tend to put too much weight behind  matchups

5 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

Tbf the bears run defense has fallen apart due to losing akem hicks. Agree with the point though, people tend to put too much weight behind  matchups

And losing Kwon is a huge hit for the Niners.

IDK what the heck the Vikings were doing.  Playing pass I guess.

• Like 1

I was impressed enough with his play this week that I'm tempted to play him instead of Gurley (in spite of what the "experts" recommend).

His build and running style reminds me a bit of Maurice Jones Drew. 

Funny enough, their height and weight are nearly identical.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

His build and running style reminds me a bit of Maurice Jones Drew. 

Funny enough, their height and weight are nearly identical.

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, owenmills said:

Edit: disregard week 14, looking at the wrong week. Baltimore that week. Still I think he could easily put up a nice line there too

You’re cherry picking a couple decent performances to make this point.  Bal, Pit, and NE Ds are all no joke.  And Bal and Pit could be fighting for AFC north title at seasons end not checked out.  I like Singletary too but the playoff schedule is tough.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lla887 said:

You’re cherry picking a couple decent performances to make this point.  Bal, Pit, and NE Ds are all no joke.  And Bal and Pit could be fighting for AFC north title at seasons end not checked out.  I like Singletary too but the playoff schedule is tough.  

Cherry picking is sifting through a bunch of data and picking the best stuff that makes your point. I literally spent like 30 seconds and just looked at this past week, except for NE since they played the Bills previously so that was the most relevant data point. I've seen so many guys with cake matchups that produce squat and vice versa. It's not worth worrying about. The touches are all that matters. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, owenmills said:

The touches are all that matters. 

I sort of agree but I think good manager pays attention to the matchup.  Heck, most of us here even check the weather forecasts Sunday morning.  

In any case it’s great to see Singletary start to take over this backfield and I hope he balls out ROS.  But with my luck Gore will out touch him this weekend.