The G Man

Devin Singletary 2019 Outlook

34 minutes ago, lla887 said:

I sort of agree but I think good manager pays attention to the matchup.  Heck, most of us here even check the weather forecasts Sunday morning.  

In any case it’s great to see Singletary start to take over this backfield and I hope he balls out ROS.  But with my luck Gore will out touch him this weekend.  

We pay attention as tie breakers, but not as definitive be-all-end-all prognostications. I do agree that matchups are wildly overblown in this forum as a whole. They are important to note when someone may have a tougher time hitting their average day, or vice versa, but there's no reason to be moving people 20-40 spots in the rankings based on matchups, which is what this forum would have you believe.

At the end of the day, it's just one more data point that should help inform likelihood of outcome. Most of the time, my expected outcome is still pretty similar, I just place a slightly lower probability of achieving said outcome against a tough matchup. At the end of the day, playing against [insert easy opponent here] does not make Cole Beasley capable of putting up 40 or 50 points just as playing against [insert tough opponent here] does not mean Saquan Barkley is incapable of such a ceiling game. It simply means they are more or less likely to achieve their norm.

Ultimately, it's a tie breaker, a minor adjustment, an extra data point. Nothing more.

Now, back to Singletary....

This kid has looked phenomenal this year and I'm a real believer. I am more than happy for Gore to come in and hammer the short-yardage situations. That keeps Singletary fresh to do damage in the open field. Gore will keep getting 8-10 touches a game, but half of those will be cleaning up a short-yardage late-down situation where Devin has just cleared 8-9 yards in 1-2 touches. Game on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheDude4bides said:

We pay attention as tie breakers, but not as definitive be-all-end-all prognostications. I do agree that matchups are wildly overblown in this forum as a whole. They are important to note when someone may have a tougher time hitting their average day, or vice versa, but there's no reason to be moving people 20-40 spots in the rankings based on matchups, which is what this forum would have you believe.

At the end of the day, it's just one more data point that should help inform likelihood of outcome. Most of the time, my expected outcome is still pretty similar, I just place a slightly lower probability of achieving said outcome against a tough matchup. At the end of the day, playing against [insert easy opponent here] does not make Cole Beasley capable of putting up 40 or 50 points just as playing against [insert tough opponent here] does not mean Saquan Barkley is incapable of such a ceiling game. It simply means they are more or less likely to achieve their norm.

Ultimately, it's a tie breaker, a minor adjustment, an extra data point. Nothing more.

Now, back to Singletary....

This kid has looked phenomenal this year and I'm a real believer. I am more than happy for Gore to come in and hammer the short-yardage situations. That keeps Singletary fresh to do damage in the open field. Gore will keep getting 8-10 touches a game, but half of those will be cleaning up a short-yardage late-down situation where Devin has just cleared 8-9 yards in 1-2 touches. Game on.

You don't think there's a chance they switch back to Gore next week? That's what I'm scared of.  If I play Singletary and he doesn't produce because of whatever reason that causes him to score low, I can live with that. But if I play him next week and Gore comes in and is the main back, I will just flip out.  I don't want to get David Johnson'd.

2 minutes ago, fullonchubb said:

You don't think there's a chance they switch back to Gore next week? That's what I'm scared of.  If I play Singletary and he doesn't produce because of whatever reason that causes him to score low, I can live with that. But if I play him next week and Gore comes in and is the main back, I will just flip out.  I don't want to get David Johnson'd.

Only if Bruce Arians was the coach. Is BA the coach?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Randy_Rancourtt said:

Let's get the hype train rolling. This year's Chubb!! 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29dea99f9e0c1a609d9e

35 minutes ago, Randy_Rancourtt said:

Let's get the hype train rolling. This year's Chubb!! 

Chubb????

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, fullonchubb said:

Singletary has had the snap majority in games he's played this year. The start is what flipped him from being a supporting-cast to "the guy" in my mind. Just watching the game, Gore really came in as the guy to nail down the 1-2 yard gain. Outside of that, he wasn't often in as "just a running back". I'm starting Singletary with confidence in my FLEX this weekend. I'll flip out with you if it "flips" back to Gore. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheDude4bides said:

Singletary has had the snap majority in games he's played this year. The start is what flipped him from being a supporting-cast to "the guy" in my mind. Just watching the game, Gore really came in as the guy to nail down the 1-2 yard gain. Outside of that, he wasn't often in as "just a running back". I'm starting Singletary with confidence in my FLEX this weekend. I'll flip out with you if it "flips" back to Gore. 

I'll be holding you to that lol

• Like 1

He's been impressive at times. Don't like the injuries but has looked good. Gore is an iconic NFL RB a bit past his prime and I salute him. But, Singletary now becomes a startable RB #1 ROS. Start with confidence, I am.

• Thanks 1

I want to start Singletary so bad, but I flipped a coin and going with Montgomery. I think both have a good day. But good luck to any of you starting Singletary. I think we may have a stud down the stretch run here.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gufomel said:

I want to start Singletary so bad, but I flipped a coin and going with Montgomery. I think both have a good day. But good luck to any of you starting Singletary. I think we may have a stud down the stretch run here.

Wrong choice. Your attached tweet even tells you so.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Dalton Gang said:

Wrong choice. Your attached tweet even tells you so.

We’ll see. I’m going to root for solid to great performances from both of them, and I’m expecting that’s what happens. 

Just not enough carries and the GL situation is a nightmare. The dumpoffs are nice, but it looks like Allen really needs to develop better touch on those. Throwing them about as hard as McNabb did. 

This team is a joke...literally no one is consistent besides maybe Allen and rushing yards and John brown. Can't start this a hole with confidence ever 

• Like 1

Hunt outperformed this bum on his first game after a year of not playing and as change of pace..... yeah Singletary is trash.

• Haha 2

Here's the deal- goal line has a high chance of being Allen or Gore substitution...and the bills don't score a lot... They are also never getting blown out... so... Singletary looks like a worse Matt Breida

Well, this was a massive let down lol... back to my bench for emergency only

2 hours ago, csv2209 said:

Well, this was a massive let down lol... back to my bench for emergency only

Bills lost because they went away from him...our only hope they turned it around. God and to think I kept this turd vs Ronald Jones and others.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:43 PM, lla887 said:

I played him this week but definitely might consider him next week against miami

• Like 1