The G Man

Devin Singletary 2019 Outlook

10 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

I know he doesn't choose to, but it's foolish not to. Why not make your job easier?

Yeah it would make sense. Maybe he does it sunday night since Pitt brings pressure? Idk I'm nervous because Allen is awful against pressure so can see alot of 3 and outs

25 minutes ago, savagenatn said:

Don’t recall saying the bengals would win the game. If I did please quote it. It’s close between white and singletary but playing at pitt I don’t have a good feeling about it. I may be terribly wrong and he puts up 30 points hell I don’t know 

You didn’t say the Bengals would win, but you said you “don’t have the stones to start” Singletary, and you’re going with James White instead.  

White has only been dependable in games the Patriots are trying to play catch-up. Three weeks ago against Dallas (their last win), he had 3 touches for -1 yard. The week before against Philly, he had 9 touches for 36 yards.

So, I’m wondering... if you think it takes more “stones” to start Singletary than White... why is that? You think the Patriots are going to be playing catch-up?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, savagenatn said:

hell I don’t know 

First decent take you've had in this thread

Singletary has gone double digits in my .5 PPR league 5 out of the last 7 weeks. One of those he was 8.6 so pretty close to being 6/7. Calling double digits a long shot even in a tough match-up tells me you haven't really been paying attention to what he's doing lately

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

You didn’t say the Bengals would win, but you said you “don’t have the stones to start” Singletary, and you’re going with James White instead.  

White has only been dependable in games the Patriots are trying to play catch-up. Three weeks ago against Dallas (their last win), he had 3 touches for -1 yard. The week before against Philly, he had 9 touches for 36 yards.

So, I’m wondering... if you think it takes more “stones” to start Singletary than White... why is that? You think the Patriots are going to be playing catch-up?

No and it’s not necessarily about the bengals-pats game, rather how tough Pittsburgh has been lately. Chubb, who most would agree is better than singletary, put up less than 10 both games against them. If White is involved at all he usually puts up 12-15. Im not trying to convince anyone about who to start, just saying what my intentions are. 

4 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Singletary has gone double digits in my .5 PPR league 5 out of the last 7 weeks. One of those he was 8.6 so pretty close to being 6/7. Calling double digits a long shot even in a tough match-up tells me you haven't really been paying attention to what he's doing lately

5 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Devin put up 8.0 against Cleveland and 8.9 against the monsters of the midway currently  known as the miami dolphins. Yeah I started him those weeks so it’s safe to say i WAS paying attention. So he goes into Pittsburgh who have held chubb to less than 10 not once but twice. By all means start him I don’t give a damn. And me may put up 30. 

10 minutes ago, savagenatn said:

Devin put up 8.0 against Cleveland and 8.9 against the monsters of the midway currently  known as the miami dolphins. Yeah I started him those weeks so it’s safe to say i WAS paying attention. So he goes into Pittsburgh who have held chubb to less than 10 not once but twice. By all means start him I don’t give a damn. And me may put up 30. 

I definitely think 30 is a longshot but I think double digits is more like 50/50. Sure, there are better options but there are also much worse(like James White IMO). I know he's not that exciting because he hasn't dropped many monster games but the guy has actually been amazingly consistent this year especially considering he was losing so many touches to Gore. It looks like they're finally realizing Gore is washed up and they're leaning on him more. 

8 minutes ago, savagenatn said:

No and it’s not necessarily about the bengals-pats game, rather how tough Pittsburgh has been lately. Chubb, who most would agree is better than singletary, put up less than 10 both games against them. If White is involved at all he usually puts up 12-15. Im not trying to convince anyone about who to start, just saying what my intentions are. 

Chubb is probably not a good comparison, considering both games against Pittsburgh have been since Hunt came back and took all the receiving work. Chubb has little to no upside in the passing game anymore (1 catch combined in 2 games with Pittsburgh).  I own Chubb as well, and starting him against the Steelers I was hoping for 80 on the ground and a TD.

Singletary at least has some receiving upside (at least 3 catches in 5 of the last 7 games), so if the running game isn’t working, I think they’ll scheme other ways to get the ball in his hands... he had 6 catches last week against the Ravens.

I know you’re getting defensive, but my intent is not to attack you, but rather show you the reasons why I think Devin is a safer play than you seem to give him credit for.

In fact, IMHO it takes huge stones to start James White (or any Patriots RB for that matter) in the playoffs.  

For me, Singletary is the safe play... White would be the upside play.

Pittsburgh basically 20-22 half ppr points per game. Bills maybe average 16-18 a game, singletary taking 75-80% of it. Easy rb2 and if bills get the turnovers then goal line opps

26 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Pittsburgh basically 20-22 half ppr points per game. Bills maybe average 16-18 a game, singletary taking 75-80% of it. Easy rb2 and if bills get the turnovers then goal line opps

Thing is, Gore has been getting all the goal line runs and not converting. I don't know why they don't hand the ball to Singletary in the red zone. He had 32 rushing TD's in his second college season lol.

36 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Thing is, Gore has been getting all the goal line runs and not converting. I don't know why they don't hand the ball to Singletary in the red zone. He had 32 rushing TD's in his second college season lol.

Yeah its crazy.  Gore has 11 carries for 0 yds and 2tds while Singletary has 2 for 4 and 1 td.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:01 AM, sportsfreak2744 said:

Josh can't throw the ball 4 yards?

He's not the most accurate on those swing passes, from what I can see.

Last 3 games (BAL, DAL, DEN) all in the top 15 hardest for fantasy RB to go against.

Average 17.3 carries & 86 yards + 3.3 catches 

He has a PPR avg of 16.4 PPG and has only 1 TD in those 3 games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

Last 3 games (BAL, DAL, DEN) all in the top 15 hardest for fantasy RB to go against.

Average 17.3 carries & 86 yards + 3.3 catches 

He has a PPR avg of 16.4 PPG and has only 1 TD in those 3 games.

Good to know.  Ingram was in all the sit columns this week as well because of the matchup and I started him anyway (we all know how that turned out).  I am hoping it will be a close game even though Singletary is essentially game-script proof

• Like 1

Not a bad outing vs Pittsburgh besides the fumbles. New England is up next. Starting him with confidence. Old man Gore ran over this same defense for 100yds back in week 4. 

if he gets volume, he will produce. it's as simple as that.

41 minutes ago, HTXMade said:

Not a bad outing vs Pittsburgh besides the fumbles. New England is up next. Starting him with confidence. Old man Gore ran over this same defense for 100yds back in week 4. 

Definitely think he can output 12-14 half ppr points. Pats getting crushed in the run game last 4 weeks. Mixon is a great player, so that counts for something for last week. 

Great player but I'm concerned (in standard) as his only chance of a TD is breaking one from 15+ yards out 

Edited by vthokie3

38 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

Great player but I'm concerned (in standard) as his only chance of a TD is breaking one from 15+ yards out 

This is going to follow the CMC route where Cam was sniping until he wasn't. Wait till Allen gets hurt and then they'll reign it in.

But yes- his goal line chances are really slim. He's a high floor flex / RB2 - play him for safety

• Like 2

Was just about to say it reminded me of early Cam days where DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart would do the work and Cam would just take it in himself.

How are we feeling about Singletary tomorrow vs New England? I dont love it, I could see him posting 6-9 points in half-ppr scoring. We know we probably wont get a TD.

I think best case scenario is a line similar to what he got in the Baltimore game (17-89 rushing, 6-29 receiving) for 14.89 points in half-ppr). With a worse case obviously being something like 6 points. Seems like a low upside option this week, but the volume will probably be there. I wish he wasnt playing on a Saturday, as it gives your opponent the ability to react and set their lineup accordingly after his performance

7 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

How are we feeling about Singletary tomorrow vs New England? I dont love it, I could see him posting 6-9 points in half-ppr scoring. We know we probably wont get a TD.

I think best case scenario is a line similar to what he got in the Baltimore game (17-89 rushing, 6-29 receiving) for 14.89 points in half-ppr). With a worse case obviously being something like 6 points. Seems like a low upside option this week, but the volume will probably be there. I wish he wasnt playing on a Saturday, as it gives your opponent the ability to react and set their lineup accordingly after his performance

If you look at his game log he seems to be a "low-upside" option every week,  But through same log you see how consistent he is, particularly lately.

Bills have no choice but to use Devin tomorrow - and he will not lose your matchup of that I'm sure.

• Like 1