Dirtbag

Gordon Hayward 2019-2020 Outlook

What’s the consensus on Gordon this year? I’m hoping he can play more then the 25 mpg he tallied last season. I’m hoping for a comeback after a whole season removed from injury. 

Who’s taking a gamble mid draft?

He was good for "mid draft" when he was the alpha dog in Utah. Now... well. I have some faith in him, but not bigger than 8-9 round :-)

• Like 1

If TOP100 is drafted then I start to consider about him. Last season drafted him as a 61st pick, was disappointed.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, apatas said:

If TOP100 is drafted then I start to consider about him. Last season drafted him as a 61st pick, was disappointed.

I also took him too early last year, that’s why I’m wondering for this season if anyone is rolling the dice on him. 

I took him in one of four leagues this year in the 8th. 

Kemba will be the Alpha, Jayson will be the Beta, Gordon at this point in his career is a 6th man. If Ainge tries to force feed him this season like he did last season it will be a crap show. I don’t expect much better than last season. 

The jitters from that horrible injury are long gone, he gets a pass for last season. Only way is up for ths guy still only 29, and no doubt hungry to bounceback. Could easily be on showcase for a trade at the deadline too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Auction>Snake said:

The jitters from that horrible injury are long gone, he gets a pass for last season. Only way is up for ths guy still only 29, and no doubt hungry to bounceback. Could easily be on showcase for a trade at the deadline too. 

Nah, he's a bust and completely lost it.  Never should have left Utah, I imagine he regrets the move to Boston   He should be looked at more like a Demarcus Cousins with less potential for stats.  I'm avoiding him unless he falls into the 10th round/under $8in auction

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 8:03 PM, Fantasyscrub said:

Nah, he's a bust and completely lost it.  Never should have left Utah, I imagine he regrets the move to Boston   He should be looked at more like a Demarcus Cousins with less potential for stats.  I'm avoiding him unless he falls into the 10th round/under $8in auction

I tend to agree. This proves that situation goes a long way to maximising a player's abilities. He was in a perfect situation in his prime in Utah, his game fit perfectly into their offense and was a major option (ball-handling and scoring), but it still didn't ask too much of him and his defense (which IMO has always been a bit over blown) was well covered by excellent defensive team mates (Gobert, Favors, Ingles, Hill, etc.). After breaking his leg he has lost a big chunk of his athleticism, which, at 29, I doubt is coming back. That makes him more of a weak link on defense and the lack of explosion on offense takes away a lot of what made him effective in Utah. And Boston still has up-and-coming scorers, but these are high-usage guys that need the ball in their hands (Tatum and Brown and Smart are all pretty iso-heavy/attack the paint types), whereas in Utah they ran a free-flowing offense around Hayward as a major pivot. He's a late round flyer at best for me, and I see others taking a chance on him before that due to name recognition. He shoulda stayed in Utah, but then we wouldn't have seen him be part of the great Celtics collapse...and that is always fun to watch!

• Like 4

Not only the obv physical hurdles to fully comeback from that gruesome injury but the phsychological aswell. It took well into about half the season to see him trust that ankle more and be more explosive when pushing off it. He showed glimpses every now and then of what he’s capable of but was still not 100% fully back wrt to both physically and mentally through the entire season. This will more than likely be his make or break year whether he can get back to where he was pre-injury.  However, he’s prob gonna be the 3rd option behind Kemba and Tatum which is different to his best days on Jazz where was the clear no.1 his last 2 years with the jazz.

No earlier than late 7th round for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

Not only the obv physical hurdles to fully comeback from that gruesome injury but the phsychological aswell. It took well into about half the season to see him trust that ankle more and be more explosive when pushing off it. He showed glimpses every now and then of what he’s capable of but was still not 100% fully back wrt to both physically and mentally through the entire season. This will more than likely be his make or break year whether he can get back to where he was pre-injury.  However, he’s prob gonna be the 3rd option behind Kemba and Tatum which is different to his best days on Jazz where was the clear no.1 his last 2 years with the jazz.

I was able to grab him in the 8th and 9th in a couple ESPN leagues. I know he will be fighting for touches with Kemba and Tatum, but I think he can be serviceable regardless. I wouldn't take him before round 8

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pirate said:

Honestly I would just avoid him, is there really a point in even having him on your team when there are potentially much better options?  He averaged 9.6 points on 41% fg in the playoffs on 30 minutes a game! 30!!

I don't foresee it getting any better.  Best case scenario is 12.5-4-4, 43% fg, 85% ft, 1.4 threes.  9th round or later for me, not taking him inside the top 90.  I'd rather take my chances on guys like Sexton, Terrence Ross, Osman, Nance, Kuzma, Smart

Edited by Fantasyscrub
  • Like 1

Chip on his shoulder. 29 with sport science today isn't old at all. Contract year next season will serve as motivation too. Kemba will bring cohesiveness unlike the black hole that was Kyrie. The injury, combined with the disarray on, and off the court made for a disaterous 2018/19 but now the only way is up for Hayward, Brad Stevens, and the Celtics in general. They didn't entertain any trade offers at all for Hayward, this solidifies his playing time perhaps in a showcase for trade at the deadline? Who knows.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

Taken at the end of the 6th round by Kyle who's on Josh Lloyd's podcast, and is a moderator on Basketball Monster. 

Edited by Auction>Snake
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Auction>Snake said:

spacer.png

Taken at the end of the 6th round by Kyle who's on Josh Lloyd's podcast, and is a moderator on Basketball Monster. 

Sorry but that draft looks like trash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Sorry but that draft looks like trash.

It’s a points league mock draft so that changes things for one, and two BBM guys know their stuff.

I don’t understand the extreme Hayward hate, unless you drafted him last year and got burned. The facts are he had a big injury and has now had one full season to recover, and has been an above average to elite player for years. If you can’t see the bounce back potential I don’t know what to tell you.

In my experience guys that only prescribe to the “what have you done for me lately?” mentality don’t typically do well in fantasy 

• Like 2

What’s interesting is that his rebounds and assist numbers mirrored his Utah days despite playing 8min less per game. What dipped was his usage obviously. If his confidence can return then I think his usage goes up as well. As people mentioned earlier his ppg likely won’t return because he’s likely the 3rd option offensively. I don’t think it’s out of the question for his minutes to be over 30 again and to average about 16ppg with decent % and around 4-5 assists and rebounds. Not sure what ranking that would be but where he’ll go in most drafts he would be a value pick

They’re not gonna let this guy just coast with the contract that he has (+ he’s Brad’s guy), but I do agree that his numbers won’t be great / likely wont live up to the $$.

IMO he should hit 15ppg, 2 3PM, 4 rpg, 4 apg, 1 spg, 0.3 bpg and 2.5 TO. Their 2 main ball handlers are gone (Ky, Horf) and only him and Kemba (Smart to an extent) have experience running an offense. Kemba and Tatum will likely lead the team in scoring, but Hayward will very much be involved.

His fantasy “upside” will be determined by whether or not he can get to the line, which will also he an indicator of him being over his injury.

Decent pick in the 80s

• Like 2

Would like to see his quickness pre season if possible. He never really got it going even late last year. Had a few bursts here and there. I'd go 9/10th, he just didn't look the same even in his good games. 

yall tripping, no way he averages 15-16 ppg.  His prime was 19-19-22 as the number 1 option on a utah team with very little offensive punch.

Now he's 4th option at best, 3 years older, and coming off a career altering injury.  Best case scenario is 14 ppg for him going forward.  Kemba, Jaylen, and Tatum are ahead of him.  Even Smart will take away from his stats.  To be honest, I'd rather have Smart on my team.  Consistent 9-4-5, 2 threes, 2 steals from Smart instead of games of 1-8 shooting from Gordon

20 minutes ago, Fantasyscrub said:

yall tripping, no way he averages 15-16 ppg.  His prime was 19-19-22 as the number 1 option on a utah team with very little offensive punch.

Now he's 4th option at best, 3 years older, and coming off a career altering injury.  Best case scenario is 14 ppg for him going forward.  Kemba, Jaylen, and Tatum are ahead of him.  Even Smart will take away from his stats.  To be honest, I'd rather have Smart on my team.  Consistent 9-4-5, 2 threes, 2 steals from Smart instead of games of 1-8 shooting from Gordon

You do you man and we’ll see who’s closer to being right soon enough.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:29 AM, Auction>Snake said:

spacer.png

Can you send me the full link to the mock? 

On 8/4/2019 at 11:18 AM, Slickthenick said:

It’s a points league mock draft so that changes things for one, and two BBM guys know their stuff.

I don’t understand the extreme Hayward hate, unless you drafted him last year and got burned. The facts are he had a big injury and has now had one full season to recover, and has been an above average to elite player for years. If you can’t see the bounce back potential I don’t know what to tell you.

In my experience guys that only prescribe to the “what have you done for me lately?” mentality don’t typically do well in fantasy 

These BBM DO NOT know their stuff hhahahhaha. That's complete bs. They make tons of shock predictions so the next year they can say they "called the sleepers". Gallagher doesnt know s---, or he withholds his real information. These podcasters get views by making shock predictions they are extremely far from a reliable source of info. I can pick 10 sleepers and then brag about the 1 or 2 that played out too. They want views and nothing else. There's people on these forums that know way more than any fantasy professional represented by the media or trying to profit from fantasy. It hilarious how people give credit to people just because they took the time to write and article or have a podcast... slackers talking about taking adebayo early rounds paying for players ceilings leaving no room for bargains. They really don't know what they're talking about. 

^^ its become more clear after every post I've read of his this guy is clueless😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

These BBM DO NOT know their stuff hhahahhaha. That's complete bs. They make tons of shock predictions so the next year they can say they "called the sleepers". Gallagher doesnt know s---, or he withholds his real information. These podcasters get views by making shock predictions they are extremely far from a reliable source of info. I can pick 10 sleepers and then brag about the 1 or 2 that played out too. They want views and nothing else. There's people on these forums that know way more than any fantasy professional represented by the media or trying to profit from fantasy. It hilarious how people give credit to people just because they took the time to write and article or have a podcast... slackers talking about taking adebayo early rounds paying for players ceilings leaving no room for bargains. They really don't know what they're talking about. 

I mean Josh Lloyd has helped me win my dynasty league 4/7 years but you’re probably right. I can’t wait for your podcast to come out! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1