Backdoor Slider

Dustin May 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Ok, saw a post I wasn’t sure was definitive enough to post, so I put in MiLB thread. But I think this looks certain. Up Friday. A top pitching prospect. 

• Like 3

Opening, bulking, starting, just a bullpen arm? I want to add speculatively but I wish there was more info

• Like 1

Guessing as a reliever.  They are desperate for good arms in the pen.

Edited by B&F

4 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Opening, bulking, starting, just a bullpen arm? I want to add speculatively but I wish there was more info

Same here, he's just sitting there but moves are limited. Does anyone know if he's starting?

Just grab him and let the details sort themselves out when everyone else is pissed you did before they could. 

Edited by bcobb311

Just now, B&F said:

Guessing as a reliever.  Thet are dessparate for good arms in the pen.

Could also be he's the 5th starter and Urias is moving (staying?) in the pen and Stripling will come back to a relief role.

He’s done nothing but start in the minors. I can’t imagine they’d call him up and say “Welcome to the majors. Here, try being a reliever.”

• Like 1

Only speculating, but Buehler is slated for Friday currently. If May was coming up in the bullpen, I’d think it would say “is being recalled Friday” because they have no idea if he’d be needed. Because it says “will make his major league debut,” I gotta think he’s starting and they’re pushing everyone else back. My $0.02.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, octapuss said:

Is he a must add? 

I would say so.

Their best writer Jorge Castillo tweeted he is being called up to start 

48 minutes ago, octapuss said:

Is he a must add? 

Yup. Like all rookie arms he carries plenty of risk but he is a top 30ish prospect and has very much earned his pedigree with a fastball that can touch 97 with movement, plus Curve/plus Cutter, and very high spin rates on all of em. He's a worthy lottery ticket. 

EDIT: my "analysis" above was real similar to the Rotoworld blurb that popped up on the main page. I feel dirty.

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 1

Dodgers RHP prospect Dustin May will make his MLB debut on Friday when he starts against the Padres.

May is one of the top pitching prospects in baseball, and the Dodgers have been hesitant to give up the 21-year-old in trade talks, for good reason. He possesses a fastball that can get into the mid-to-high 90 mph range, and he has two more plus pitches in a cutter/slider and curve, with the ability to command those offerings and a solid change. There's always risk with rookie hurlers, but May has the stuff to be successful right now.

• Like 2

He’s starting. Urias going back to the pen and I imagine Stripling as well when he’s reinstated off the IL. If he performs as expected he should be in the rotation until at least Hill comes back. 

All we are is Dustin the Win...

May I please have some more...

Lets gooooooo...he's armed and ready for the Show...I say he sticks...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zig Zag said:

I would say so.

Nah. Let someone else pick him up while you're busy asking about him.

As someone who covers the Dodgers think just below the ceiling of Walker Buehler type upside. 

If Buehler is Degrom, he’s Thor. Does that make sense? 

3 hours ago, mevins31 said:

As someone who covers the Dodgers think just below the ceiling of Walker Buehler type upside. 

If Buehler is Degrom, he’s Thor. Does that make sense? 

Whoaaa that’s a pretty bold comparison!

3 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Whoaaa that’s a pretty bold comparison!

We were talking about it as a staff and that’s the analogy they liked 

9 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

Anybody know how deep he’s been going into his minor league games recently, pitch count wise? 

Since June 12 here are his innings and pitch count

6/12 - 6.2 and 96 

6/17 -  7 and 97

6/22 - 7 and 103

6/30 - 5  and 91

7/11 - 5 and 85

7/17 - 5.1 and 95

7/23 - 6 and 97

7/28 - 6 and 77

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

11 hours ago, cs3 said:

Nah. Let someone else pick him up while you're busy asking about him.

Thank you for your thoughtful insight. 

[Guys, this is not the mevins31 2019 Outlook thread.  If you have questions about someone's professional qualifications or blogging/reporting they do elsewhere, you can send them a PM.]