Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

11 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

Here’s my annual thank you to the people in this thread that help me land closers post draft year in and year out. I did not draft a single closer but quickly got Holland, Hendriks, and Robles. Since then I have dropped Holland but added Workman, Bradley, Leclerc, Bass, and Melancon. I went from 0 to 7 closers because of you guys!! Thanks! 

Are you down on owning Phelps?

18 minutes ago, Sergeant Arms said:

I am now convinced the closer role for the Braves is CURSED!

Maybe the Braves should have paid up to bring in an elite RP like Vazquez or Will Smith instead of throwing a band-aid over the problem by picking up a totally washed-up Mark Melancon and two career losers in Shane Greene and Chris Martin.  (I know Greene and Martin were having decent years, but that was a very limited numbers of innings, and their career numbers speak for themselves.)

It's a shame because Ronald Acuna and Freddie Freeman are both legitimate MVP-caliber hitters, and the Braves are wasting that with this bullpen.

8 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Chasing saves has not gone well.

Ian Kennedy and Liam Hendriks have been money for me off the waiver wire.  Looking at both pitchers' career numbers, I keep expecting both of them to turn back into pumpkins, like Shane Greene has with Atlanta.  Thankfully hasn't happened yet, knock on wood.

• Like 1

Just now, DarinB300 said:

Did the same. Smh!! 

23 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

I picked up Melancon this morning

Image result for i deserve this gif

Picked him up at 1:12 am this morning when we were down to 2 of us at a poker tourney...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Maybe the Braves should have paid up to bring in an elite RP like Vazquez or Will Smith instead of throwing a band-aid over the problem by picking up a totally washed-up Mark Melancon and two career losers in Shane Greene and Chris Martin.  (I know Greene and Martin were having decent years, but that was a very limited numbers of innings, and their career numbers speak for themselves.)

It's a shame because Ronald Acuna and Freddie Freeman are both legitimate MVP-caliber hitters, and the Braves are wasting that with this bullpen.

Green was pitching regularly and getting saves for Detroit, he was not getting limited innings.  He has been in 43 games and 41.1 IPs, which for a closer is probably just a bit under the avg at this point in the season.  He was having a decent year on an albeit bad team.  That he melted down under pressure in a less pitcher friendly environment and in a new league is another matter.  Really, the Braves pulled the plug on him after a 2-3 bad outings (only one of which was truly awful).  Not defending the guy, but Mark Melancon?  They panicked much too quickly imo and have just cratered Greene's confidence in all liklihood.  And if they think Melancon or going back to Jackson are the answer, well good luck with that.

Edited by secretagentman