Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

41 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Jackson next? Greene? Martin? Newcombe?

A real who’s who of junk. Can’t believe the Braves thought they’d solved this problem. It will be a revolving door the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

Green was pitching regularly and getting saves for Detroit, he was not getting limited innings.  He has been in 43 games and 41.1 IPs, which for a closer is probably just a bit under the avg at this point in the season.  He was having a decent year on an albeit bad team.  That he melted down under pressure in a less pitcher friendly environment and in a new league is another matter.  Really, the Braves pulled the plug on him after a 2-3 bad outings (only one of which was truly awful).  Not defending the guy, but Mark Melancon?  They panicked much too quickly imo and have just cratered Greene's confidence in all liklihood.  And if they think Melancon or going back to Jackson are the answer, well good luck with that.

Greene owns a career 4.60 ERA over 395 innings.  To me, that large sample size is much more meaningful than his ERA over 40 innings with Detroit this year.  No doubt Greene's 1.18 ERA with the Tigers was impressive, but his FIP with the Tigers was a full 2.5 runs higher (3.69), so his 1.18 ERA was likely an outlier in my opinion.  Greene wouldn't be the first bad pitcher to get lucky over a 40 inning sample size and surely he wouldn't be the last either.

I still can't believe that the Braves did this with their bullpen this year instead of picking up a decent closer, when they have not one, but two, legitimate MVP caliber hitters in Ronald Acuna and Freedie Freeman.  Talk about wasting a golden opportunity.

Edited by FootballFan101

11 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Greene owns a career 4.60 ERA over 395 innings.  To me, that large sample size is much more meaningful than his ERA over 40 innings with Detroit this year.  No doubt Greene's 1.18 ERA with the Tigers was impressive, but his FIP with the Tigers was a full 2.5 runs higher (3.69), so his 1.18 ERA was likely an outlier in my opinion.  Greene wouldn't be the first bad pitcher to get lucky over a 40 inning sample size and surely he wouldn't be the last either.

I still can't believe that the Braves have Ronald Acuna and Freedie Freeman and they did this with their bullpen this year instead of picking up a legitimate closer.  Talk about wasting a golden opportunity.

They have been cheap wrt the bullpen historically even having to use their HOF SP Smoltz as a closer for a number of years (talk about a waste) because they had the likes of Rocker, Wohlers, etc. and could not get a someone else\refused to pay for a closer.

And no one called Greene the next coming of Rivera.  He was having a good year and has been serviceable throughout his career as a closer.  The 4.6 lifetime ERA should have told the Braves that they needed to stick with him and let the bad outtings play out imo and he would probably settled down to what he is\give them some serviceable production.  They panicked and now probably cratered Greene's confidence to the point where it may be very difficult for him to right the ship quickly.

Edited by secretagentman

The Braves will probably put out an ad in the newspapers tomorrow morning for an open tryout to be their next closer.

Unbelievable how nobody they have can do the job, although that's going to happen when you have a bunch of guys that could implode at any moment.  It's basically a rock bottom embarrassment when basically your whole bullpen implodes like that against the Marlins.

Edited by KilloWertz

I picked up Albers in my NL only league about a week ago simply for help with my ratios and this guy has netted me 2 saves. 

I thought Hader had this job locked down. What's going on in Brew Town?

The Braves situation is particularly bad, but overall whole NL East is an absolute trainwreck when it comes to the pen. Seriously you've got Doolittle, Neris, Lugo...Martin? That's about it as far as halfway decent arms in the whole damn division right now.  

Have a feeling Jackson comes back in the picture for the Braves.  

4 hours ago, secretagentman said:

They have been cheap wrt the bullpen historically even having to use their HOF SP Smoltz as a closer for a number of years (talk about a waste) because they had the likes of Rocker, Wohlers, etc. and could not get a someone else\refused to pay for a closer.

And no one called Greene the next coming of Rivera.  He was having a good year and has been serviceable throughout his career as a closer.  The 4.6 lifetime ERA should have told the Braves that they needed to stick with him and let the bad outtings play out imo and he would probably settled down to what he is\give them some serviceable production.  They panicked and now probably cratered Greene's confidence to the point where it may be very difficult for him to right the ship quickly.

Not this again. You were acting like the Braves lost multiple championships 25 years ago by not blowing a bunch of money on their bullpen. Rocker was a lights out closer for a couple of years. Wohlers had a 2.09 ERA the year the Braves won the World Series (because they had great pitching), then was an All-Star the next year. Smoltz had Tommy John and couldn't pitch starter innings effectively anymore. He proceeded to get 45+ saves 3 years in a row, starting with leading the league with 55. 

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
Removed vituperation.
  • Like 2

The thing that bothered me the most last night about Melancon was his antics on the mound.  He was continually covering the rubber with dirt and staring into the Marlins dugout.  The home plate ump came out before first batter and cleared the rubber then Melancon put dirt back on it.  Boos from the crowd and yells from Marlins dugout.  Then a batter later the first base umpire came out to talk to him to cut it out.  It was strange and unnecessary behavior especially in such an important part of the game.   Prefer he focus on getting batters out than putting on a show on the mound.  Coaches and players can’t be happy about this.  

At least Jackson and Greene took the beating seriously.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, secretagentman said:

Smoltz was used as a Rp because he was coming back from surgery 

• Like 1

BABIP w/ Braves

Greene- .636
Melancon- .500
Martin- .400

I think they’ll settle down, but the entire pen is non-elite arms with a manger who struggles to deploy them correctly

• Like 4

Lost in all of this Melancon talk is how bad Stanek stank last night. Wtf was that? .2 ip, 4bb, 1 hr, and 3er. I was hoping to sneak a few saves out of him, instead he blows up my ratios.

• Like 1

If only the Braves had the option to sign a hall of fame closer maybe they would be in position to win the WS

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Denbo32 said:

If only the Braves had the option to sign a hall of fame closer maybe they would be in position to win the WS

They do have that option, Trevor Hoffman can be signed

Raisel Iglesias-RP

Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:28:00 PM

Raisel Iglesias is dealing with biceps tightness. 
src: C. Trent Rosecrans

1 hour ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Complete spit ball idea here, would love to see Folty get a shot at closing for the Braves. 

He’d fit right in with those losers 

2 hours ago, Denbo32 said:

I’m really not sure who you’re talking about, but I do hope I’m drawing a complete blank and you’re not referring to Kimbrel as a “hall of fame closer.”

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m really not sure who you’re talking about, but I do hope I’m drawing a complete blank and you’re not referring to Kimbrel as a “hall of fame closer.”

I think he's being sarcastic, point being that the Braves went out and tried to improve their bullpen and secretagentman's post is nonsensical for several reasons. 

• Like 1