Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

On 8/11/2019 at 9:57 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

I usually have a pretty good read on the Braves and I have no idea what they’ll do in the pen next.  I’d guess melancon, but any one of 4 guys wouldn’t be a surprise 

Same and I'm clueless.  I almost feel like they are gonna go back to Jackson with Melancon a close second, but a single outing can and will change things.  The only thing I'm reasonably sure about is it won't be Greene.  I think Martin is ahead of Greene right now.

Can they paint the mound rubber brown?  They can go back to Melancon after they do that....

Personally I hope they mix and match and play matchups but...Snitker.

Edited by LJJr

Sean Doolittle acknowledged during an appearance on 106.7 The Fan on Tuesday that his workload has contributed to his recent struggles.

Advice: Doolittle scuffled again while converting a save Monday against the Reds and has now allowed six runs in his last three appearances. "I haven't really amassed this kind of bulk in several years," said Doolittle. "There's nights like last night where you feel a little bit out of wack, a little bit sluggish. It catches up to you after a while." Doolittle has amassed 50 2/3 innings with a 3.73 ERA this season. He has a lengthy injury history, so he hasn't topped 51 1/3 innings since 2014. He threw 69 innings in 2013 and is currently on pace for a similar workload this year. It's a situation to monitor as the Nationals try to hold down a Wild Card spot.

is there someone specifically to be used when Doolittle is not closing?

Rodney? Strickland? Hudson? other?

It looks like Eovaldi is going to used as an opener tomorrow, and I would think this is Stage 1 of stretching him back out as a starter with Casher demoted and Price on the IL. That would mean that the Eovaldi closer hype train, barreling along not that long ago (with me unfortunately aboard) has now officially derailed, much like the Red Sox season,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember when a certain poster here was ADAMENT that eovaldi was the closer and that was the end of discussion. Shot people down left right and centre when they provided reason. shame on you to that poster lol. I won't name and shame but you know who u are

• Like 2

Sean Kelley came into the 7th inning and served up b2b homers to Teoscar and McKinney. Leclerc’s leash grows longer

Daniel Hudson trying to close it out with Doolittle resting, thought it might be Strickland.

7 hours ago, LJJr said:

Same and I'm clueless.  I almost feel like they are gonna go back to Jackson with Melancon a close second, but a single outing can and will change things.  The only thing I'm reasonably sure about is it won't be Greene.  I think Martin is ahead of Greene right now.

Can they paint the mound rubber brown?  They can go back to Melancon after they do that....

Personally I hope they mix and match and play matchups but...Snitker.

Luke Jackson pitching 7th inning 

6 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

It looks like Eovaldi is going to used as an opener tomorrow, and I would think this is Stage 1 of stretching him back out as a starter with Casher demoted and Price on the IL. That would mean that the Eovaldi closer hype train, barreling along not that long ago (with me unfortunately aboard) has now officially derailed, much like the Red Sox season,

Eovaldi coming in with one out in the eighth of a 6-5 game. Unbelievable. I guess it doesn't preclude him from still opening tomorrow, but they certainly won't get any length out of him if that is this case. This soap opera just doesn't seem to want to end.

UDPATE: Only took him six pitches escape....

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Melancon locks down the save for Atlanta.  

Yep. Clean with 2 K. Mets couldn’t lay off the breaking stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Workman blew the save. 

I felt they should have walked Lindor and went after Mercado since they had 1st base open. Instead they pitched to lindor and gave up the game tying double. Doesn’t matter though, just thought it was odd given how good Lindor is and has been as well as how bad Mercado has been recently. 

11 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I felt they should have walked Lindor and went after Mercado since they had 1st base open. Instead they pitched to lindor and gave up the game tying double. Doesn’t matter though, just thought it was odd given how good Lindor is and has been as well as how bad Mercado has been recently. 

Walking Lindor would have put the winning run on base with one out and almost guaranteed that Santana was going to get to the plate, who is white hot at the moment

10 minutes ago, PittsburghSports said:

What happened to Shane Green? Dominant all year, gets traded and looks to be a huge upgrade, then implodes.

He was getting lucky all year. His luck ran out and his true talent reappeared. 

11 minutes ago, PittsburghSports said:

What happened to Shane Green? Lucky all year, gets traded and looks to be a huge upgrade, then implodes.

Fixed

Romo, not Rodgers, in to close it out for Min tonight 👎

33 minutes ago, fatbob166 said:

Romo, not Rodgers, in to close it out for Min tonight 👎

He pitched the last 2 games, I'm thinking it's just rest.