Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

I was mocked the other day when asking if Twins we're heading Romo over Rodgers, but I'm thinking about making the switch now...I feel that the twins never really wanted a lefty closing to begin with, but nobody besides Rodgers could get it done....Enter Romo 😢

48 minutes ago, fatbob166 said:

I was mocked the other day when asking if Twins we're heading Romo over Rodgers, but I'm thinking about making the switch now...I feel that the twins never really wanted a lefty closing to begin with, but nobody besides Rodgers could get it done....Enter Romo 😢

I can see them thinking that way but would Romo stick? Romo's FIP is 4.18,  xFIP 5.24, SIERA 4.37. Those marks for Rogers are 2.98, 3.09, and 2.83 respectively. (All numbers heading into tonight.) 

2 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

I can see them thinking that way but would Romo stick? Romo's FIP is 4.18,  xFIP 5.24, SIERA 4.37. Those marks for Rogers are 2.98, 3.09, and 2.83 respectively. (All numbers heading into tonight.) 

To me, it just seemed that even though Rodgers stats (and underlying numbers) were very good earlier in the season, the Twins we're trying to force the closer role on anyone except him. Due to injuries, and everybody else being terrible, they finally stuck with Rodgers for a while. I can still see him getting some saves sprinkled in when the matchups are right, but it feels like one of those situations where the team would rather lean on the more experienced closer...even if he's not necessarily the best arm in the pen. Then again maybe I'm just bitter because somebody beat me to Romo 🙄

• Like 1

I really hope they don't move Rogers to the 8th. He is far away the best reliever on that team and it would be an injustice if he is not their closer ROS.

Who's the closer for Seattle now?  Bass pitching in the 7th inning (not to mention allowing a HR) indicates pretty clearly that he's lost the job.

27 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Who's the closer for Seattle now?  Bass pitching in the 7th inning (not to mention allowing a HR) indicates pretty clearly that he's lost the job.

Yeah, no idea now..literally every site has him as the closer..lol

41 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Today it appears to be Matt Magill (scoreless ninth for the save in a one-run game). Tuivailala clearly has the best numbers. My guess is there probably won't be a clear cut guy the rest of the way and they'll go matchups/committee, unless the decide to ride with a guy like Austin Adams when he comes back.

Just now, JameisofThrones said:

Today it appears to be Matt Magill (scoreless ninth for the save in a one-run game). Tuivailala clearly has the best numbers. My guess is there probably won't be a clear cut guy the rest of the way and they'll go matchups/committee, unless they decide to ride with a guy like Austin Adams when he comes back.

Just now, JameisofThrones said:

Today it appears to be Matt Magill (scoreless ninth for the save in a one-run game). Tuivailala clearly has the best numbers. My guess is there probably won't be a clear cut guy the rest of the way and they'll go matchups/committee, unless the decide to ride with a guy like Austin Adams when he comes back.

Probably so, magill has been very solid over last 7 innings, just dropped bass for him and hoping for the best..lol

32 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Yeah, no idea now..literally every site has him as the closer..lol

Nice that Bass got the win today at least but his usage was beyond concerning.  He's an easy drop in my book.

On 8/15/2019 at 2:38 PM, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

i will lay you 2-1 that he does pitch again in the 9th this year in a save situation...friendly c-note?

On 8/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, Dr. Whom said:

Lugo is out forever after last nights gutless performance...if Diaz struggles again ( he has all season), then Wilson is the logical choice.

Only took you 2 days to be wrong..you can owe me, I’m sure you are good for it

😉

Doolittle blowup

3 Hrs in top of ninth at home😮

Edited by pbjfb

1 minute ago, supac720 said:

Feel bad for Doolittle owners.

He told the media he was being overworked and they're still overworking him, idgi

Pitched a clean inning Sunday, gave up a run when they used him Monday

Pitched a clean inning yesterday, gave up 4 runs today

Edited by miasma16
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Hader is done. Who’s next in line

Sorry not sorry that you don't own him