Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

Estevez had 11 saves with Colorado in 2016, I think that gives him the slight edge up on Diaz for now.

2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Estevez had 11 saves with Colorado in 2016, I think that gives him the slight edge up on Diaz for now.

i don't think those saves in '16 are relevant now but here's hoping.  

39 minutes ago, bluejays95 said:

Bass in the 8th and he looks like absolute trash. 

Magill looked strong in the 9th. Got Meadows to ground out and caught Pham looking at a 95mph FB on the outside corner. Choi hit a deep fly ball to end the game. Looked very in control.

44 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

Magill looked strong in the 9th. Got Meadows to ground out and caught Pham looking at a 95mph FB on the outside corner. Choi hit a deep fly ball to end the game. Looked very in control.

You aren't the only one that noticed.  Rotoworld Blurb Guy did too.  Unless you ARE Rotoworld Blurb Guy, haha.

Matt Magill pitched a perfect ninth inning Tuesday against the Rays, earning his second save of the season.

After getting the call to close out a win over the Blue Jays over the weekend, Magill was summoned for the very next save chance as well. He answered the bell by running through the top of the Rays order, retiring Austin Meadows, Tommy Pham and Ji-Man Choi to preserve the one-run win. We weren't making much of Magill's save against the Jays, but two saves in a row -- and in convincing fashion; for his warts, the 29-year-old does have 50 strikeouts in 39 2/3 innings this year -- is a trend worth noting. If you're scraping for saves in your league, Magill requires your attention.

Aug 20, 2019, 11:28 PM ET

Im trying to think of another way to butcher the name of Carlos Estevez. But I think every possibility has already been exhausted in this month’s thread. 

42 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Im trying to think of another way to butcher the name of Carlos Estevez. But I think every possibility has already been exhausted in this month’s thread. 

The Wild Thing, Rick Vaughn.

Edited by Gryfter
  • Like 1

LeClerc has looked good for the last few weeks up until today. Nothing actionable, but if he blows another my spec add would be Emmanuel Clase.

Magill just blew the game in spectacular fashion for the M's.  Maybe he doesn't want the closer role after all.   Leadoff HR, then two straight hard hit balls that dropped for hits, then an intentional walk and a wild pitch walk off to lose.    Masks the bad blown save by Pagan in the top of the inning.  

Edited by swingbatter

3 minutes ago, jeffcarroll23 said:

Is Pagen still safe as the closer for Tampa?

It's Tampa. Nothing is anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Brad Hand has been GARBAGE for weeks.

His 4 seam velo is down 1 mph from last season.  The good news is it is actually up 1 mph from early this season when he was lights out.

• Like 1

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

Jansen blows it 

He blows alright.

At what point do the Dodgers give in and take him out of the ninth and put Kelly there? Watching him float 91mph cutters up there is pretty sad.

Having picked up Magill a few hours earlier to join Hand and Pagan as my closers, it turned out to be quite a day for my ERA and ratio.

• Like 1

Highly recommend adding Joe Kelly now. Father Time is undefeated and he seems to be having his way with Kenley Jansen. He’s now blown 6 saves and has become very hittable. I think it’ll be just a matter of days before Kelly is closing rest of season and through the playoffs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Yankees have had 70 save chances and have 48 saves.

The Red Sox have had 46 Save chances and have only 24 saves

Baltimore 41 save chances and have 24 saves

Miami 35 save chances and 21 saves

Just thought it was interesting the Yankees ad double the SVO and the Red Sox yet the Red Sox only had 11 move then the Marlins and 5 move than Baltimore.

Sorry I am a little bored

3 hours ago, meh2 said:

Highly recommend adding Joe Kelly now. Father Time is undefeated and he seems to be having his way with Kenley Jansen. He’s now blown 6 saves and has become very hittable. I think it’ll be just a matter of days before Kelly is closing rest of season and through the playoffs.

Baez would also possibly be in this save mix, he has set up kenley for a few years now

when does Sam Tuivailala get a chance to close for Seattle. he has been great in August.. 7 IP, 1 H, 0 ER.

The only thing about Jansen last night is he made 1 mistake pitch to Tellez, had he hit his target on the pitch it's probably game over with a save. Tellez crushes those inside pitches. It's not like Jansen looks terrible and blew up in ugly fashion.

Anyway, he still sucks!