Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

1 minute ago, Trilogy25 said:

Just came on here to say I was seeing the rumors flying on Twitter about Kimbrel....I'd guess Cishek would get the majority of the opps but he was gone in my main league (and a history of bad splits) so I added Kintzler (good numbers, closer experience). Strop just started throwing off a mound again, BTW.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

Wait I'm confused is kimbrel hurt?

That's the rumor going around. I was going to ignore it since Twitter was telling me he strained his groin "wrestling feral hogs", apparently one of the newest memes for the cool kids on the internet, but the Jesse Rogers response gives it some credence. (The hurt part, not the feral hogs part)

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Haha 1

What a loser Kimbrel is.  Just one...big...loser.

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

Back to Cishek I suppose, even if Maddon says it's a committee....

Yeah that's what he said when Strop went down earlier this year and it was all Cishek.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Yeah that's what he said when Strop went down earlier this year and it was all Cishek.

Works for me since he's been good when given the chance, and obviously all season no matter what the role is.

37 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Diaz coming in with a 4 run lead 👀

LOL and vote of confidence right after one day so a 180 from yesterday's comments

METS!

5 hours ago, 80version said:

When asked Sunday whether Edwin Diaz was still his closer, Mets manager Mickey Callaway said that "we have to be open-minded" and "can’t lock ourselves in to one thing."

It's a departure from how Callaway has commented publicly on his closer situation, as he's previously always backed Diaz. While it's not exactly announcing a change in the ninth inning, it does sound like Seth Lugo might be in the mix for some saves. Diaz allowed two runs on Saturday and has been scored upon in four straight appearances. Meanwhile, Lugo is unscored upon since the beginning of July and hasn't allowed a hit in his last seven appearances.

RELATED: 

I've been holding onto Lugo for the ratio help in a few leagues.  This could be a huge boon to his value.  
Aug 4, 2019, 12:12 PM ET

And this was followed today by:

Mets manager Mickey Callaway said after Monday's game that Edwin Diaz is the team's closer "and is going to be our closer."

Callaway left the door open for a possible change in the ninth inning when asked on Sunday, but he forcefully backed Diaz on Monday even after Diaz was shaky in a non-save situation. Seth Lugo has been the Mets' best reliever lately and will be on standby, but the club is sticking with their big offseason acquisition for now.

Source: Anthony DiComo on Twitter                                          Aug 5, 2019, 7:20 PM ET

• Haha 2

Just now, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Leclerc about to blow minors dominant performance

He's just totally incapable of handling the pressure of the 9th inning.  I know that the Rangers don't really have any other great options with Martin traded and Kelley on IL, but I think it's only a matter of time until Chavez becomes closer

1 minute ago, murraygd13 said:

Derek Law worth a pickup?

Doubt it. Giles pitched yesterday so I'm guessing that they didn't want to push him with a back-to-back right away. It does look like this might give him a leg up on Shafer if Giles elbow explodes, though, which is certainly not out of the question.

Watching the Marlins game, it certainly looks like it’ll be Stanek’s job to lose.

2 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Watching the Marlins game, it certainly looks like it’ll be Stanek’s job to lose.

?

3 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

?

Jarlin Garcia coming in in the 7th with the team down 5-4.

5 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Jarlin Garcia coming in in the 7th with the team down 5-4.

Jarlin Garcia's K rate is unacceptable for a major league reliever let alone a closer.