Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

3 hours ago, Palmetto08 said:

St. Louis just purchased the contract of RHP Junior Fernandez from AAA Memphis.  2 saves, 3 earned runs and 23 strikeouts in 20 innings with the Redbirds

Anything to see here?

If they were looking to try somebody new in the closers role, sure, but Carlos Martinez seems to have a pretty firm grasp on in despite being a bit shaky here and there.  Also, Fernandez is another recently called up reliever with control issues (29 Walks in just over 60 IP across three levels this season), so I'll pass.

It’s probably never worth it to try and figure out the Rays. However, over the last week, they seem to have settled on Nick Anderson in the 8th inning and Emilio Pagan in the 9th inning.

Joe Jimenez came in for a non save situation and he looked pretty good. I know he let up a run and a couple of hits but he got squeezed a few times too. 

He was hitting the corners nicely and throwing 95-96. Eloy had a broken bat single over the shortstops head. James McCann came up with 2 outs and was behind 0-2/1-2 and there was a pitch that I thought was a strike but got called a ball. That extended the AB and McCann hit a ground rule double. 

He threw a lot of pitches but there were a lot that the White Sox kept fouling off. 

Edited by Under500Forever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looked good in a non-save situation against the White Sox.  What an endorsement. 🤣

Edited by Lebanasty
A word

10 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Ok. Saw this. Original report from guy from the Atlantic. 

Words like "believed" and "plans to keep" and "for now" does not a ringing endorsement for all time make.

57 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Words like "believed" and "plans to keep" and "for now" does not a ringing endorsement for all time make.

What it says to me is if Leclerc performs he'll remain the closer. If he falters they likely go back to Kelley.

Hendriks seemed to be in danger a week ago but since then has notched 2 perfect saves while Treinen has gotten knocked around in his 2 most recent outings. Hendriks is probably safe for now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

What it says to me is if Leclerc performs he'll remain the closer. If he falters they likely go back to Kelley.

Doubleheader today. Let's hope Leclerc gets destroyed...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHLm_dEMAR2pmv843mdfU

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lebanasty said:

Looked good in a non-save situation against the White Sox.  What an endorsement. 🤣

I posted that for the people that looked at the box score but didn’t watch him pitch. He looked pretty good even though it was a non save situation against the White Sox. 

2 hours ago, JCD said:

Doubleheader today. Let's hope Leclerc gets destroyed...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHLm_dEMAR2pmv843mdfU

Have you no compassion for the LeClerc owners who have been getting destroyed all year long? Haven’t they (me) endured enough?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

how has Leclerc earn to be closer again. back to back good games, hooray. before that he had back to back games with 2 ER allowed.

5 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

how has Leclerc earn to be closer again. back to back good games, hooray. before that he had back to back games with 2 ER allowed.

He hasn't. They signed LeClerc to an extension in the offseason and they want to give him every opportunity to find is lost mojo. IMO this is more about the Rangers trying to save face than LeClerc earning the job back. That and there really aren't any good options in that bullpen.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

It wouldn't shock me if Kelley got the role back at some point

For all those Luke Jackson fans still out there, here he is in the sixth inning of a 7-1 game...

EDIT: And he is getting lit

Edited by JameisofThrones

8 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

For all those Luke Jackson fans still out there, here he is in the sixth inning of a 7-1 game... EDIT: And he is getting lit

Zero earned runs for Jackson 😉

• Haha 1

Based on recent usage of Martin (the supposed main set up) it seems Melancon might be next in line if/when Greene continues to pitch like we originally expected him to.

Andrew Miller is in for the save opp. I’m guessing its because there are 3 lefties in a row. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Based on recent usage of Martin (the supposed main set up) it seems Melancon might be next in line if/when Greene continues to pitch like we originally expected him to.

Some thought in the early going that there might be a chance Melancon would take over for Smith if he was traded. How funny would it be if Melancon takes over in Atlanta after being traded and Smith staying put. Lol. 

Remember when Eovaldi was a sure thing to be closer in BOS and Workman had no chance according to some in here?

That was fun.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Is it safe to assume that Bass is now the clear closer in Seattle with Elias and Strickland out of town now?

Maybe Austin Adams will take his spot when he return ? He was pitching realllly good before going on the IL

On Tuesday, August 06, 2019 at 4:33 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

Ok. Saw this. Original report from guy from the Atlantic

The Atlantic is usually pretty reliable on sports :-)

18 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

Remember when Eovaldi was a sure thing to be closer in BOS and Workman had no chance according to some in here?

That was fun.

Yeah that was funny just people with desperate closer situations I guess Eovaldi has always been mediocre at best.

• Like 1