Sign in to follow this  
sjm76

Do you prefer drafting before or after the preseason games start and why?

I figured that I would start this topic.

This year I decided to join a couple of pay leagues that drafted before the preseason games start.  It's a big risk because a lot can happen between now and when the season starts but I like to take risks.  Just wondering how other people feel about drafting before the preseason games start in early August vs. late August.

1 minute ago, sjm76 said:

I figured that I would start this topic.

This year I decided to join a couple of pay leagues that drafted before the preseason games start.  It's a big risk because a lot can happen between now and when the season starts but I like to take risks.  Just wondering how other people feel about drafting before the preseason games start in early August vs. late August.

Current draft date is with 2 weeks left in the preseason and I’m not much of a fan due to the injuries/setbacks and uncertainty of certain players, but anybody can get injured at any time. The only thing is if I had to choose I’d choose after the preseason. 

I wish on one hand we could draft earlier just because it would give more time to talk trades or make FA moves earlier when things happen in training camp (plus I hate how it signals the end of the summer), but because of the injury thing, the later the better. I would probably never join a league that drafted earlier than mid-Aug.

I like drafting prior to the preseason games because from past experience, I've found that there are a lot of good values since the ADPs are pretty skewed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

I like drafting prior to the preseason games because from past experience, I've found that there are a lot of good values since the ADPs are pretty skewed.

Surprised by the amount of responses that went the other way. Completely agree with this - The market tends to get more efficient the closer we get to the season. A lot of the value plays you can get now will not exist come late August/early September.

• Like 3

I rather draft after the last preseason game, saying that I have a money 💴 offline draft this Saturday night.

My other offline money 💴 draft is September 1st. 

I prefer drafting as early as possible.  Much easier to get values and I believe I have a leg up on the average user.  Rationally one would think only degenerates like me are drafting so early... but seems to be a lot of casual players drafting during such times.  I think the reward is more than worth the risk.  IMO

For me, my dynasty and bestballs are early and my smaller keeper and redrafts the week before the season starts.

After. Because I have no life and watch as much games...preseason...as possible and sometimes able to grab what I consider a sleeper or two. 

I tend to prefer before but I usually do two in early-mid Aug and two in late Aug/early Sept. Sometimes I have a feeling about a few players and drafting early can get them at a great value. Once everybody sees them play every advantage I had from being ahead of the curve is gone. However, the last few years I have moved into higher stakes leagues and I've found less advantage to drafting early. Most people that are putting down decent money to draft early have some good values in mind and a lot of time they are the same ones as their opponents.

If you draft early you could lose players to injury but so can everybody else. You could be behind the eightball to start but it's still an even playing field. You yourself are at no disadvantage in the league that drafts early. Everybody has the same knowledge of news, injuries, etc on draft night. It's just that there is more time for good or bad luck to play out before the season starts.

It really is dependent on the year for me.  If I feel confident in my draft plan and I have a good grasp on who I want to target in the late rounds in June then let's draft in June.  When I am less sure of what I am doing then I obviously want the draft as late as possible.  

I feel like most of us who frequent these forums would consider themselves more informed and more engaged than the rest of their league.  Some of us nuts have been researching, listening to podcasts, reading whatever we can get our hands on since the Super Bowl.  So we've all got in our heads our list of sleepers, value plays, etc.  So I think that favors an early draft, since as the season gets nearer, all of those hidden gems will be exposed and everyone will know everything.  The problem is that even with all the research we've been doing for months, you really don't know until the preseason games start to be played.  How will you know how the Denver and Tampa backfields will shake out?  Who is going to be the Pittsburgh #2 behind Juju?  We're all just guessing right now.  I still do prefer an earlier draft because even if we're in the dark about some things, then I feel like everybody is in the dark but I know I've done more research than the rest of my league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CooL said:

I feel like most of us who frequent these forums would consider themselves more informed and more engaged than the rest of their league.  Some of us nuts have been researching, listening to podcasts, reading whatever we can get our hands on since the Super Bowl.  So we've all got in our heads our list of sleepers, value plays, etc.  So I think that favors an early draft, since as the season gets nearer, all of those hidden gems will be exposed and everyone will know everything.  The problem is that even with all the research we've been doing for months, you really don't know until the preseason games start to be played.  How will you know how the Denver and Tampa backfields will shake out?  Who is going to be the Pittsburgh #2 behind Juju?  We're all just guessing right now.  I still do prefer an earlier draft because even if we're in the dark about some things, then I feel like everybody is in the dark but I know I've done more research than the rest of my league.

^^ Pretty much nailed it.

I prefer an earlier draft to take advantage of the bargains and values coming out of the draft as well as training camp. I think engaged and savvy owners who stay on top of news, signings, practices, etc in the offseason should be rewarded.

However, from a league competitive standpoint, training camp and preseason injuries can absolutely destroy a fantasy team before they officially post a valid roster in week 1. IMO, that's not fun, nor fair. Especially if owners are investing a couple of hundred bucks into the league. One of my main leagues had some preliminary discussions about compensation for scenarios like that, but never came close to anything.

For that reason, I prefer a draft sometime after week 3 of the preseason. It's just fair and common sense for everyone.

As close to the season as possible. Last thing I want is to have money on the line and for a player to get injured. As for the there’s more value now. Sure. However, most of the value differences are because of injuries. If a guy having a few good pointless games causes his value to rocket up than people are being quite dumb. If D. Williams goes down and you got Hyde you aren’t better than everyone else. You got flat out lucky.

• Like 2

For 16 years we have drafted the night before opening kickoff but I just don't get the risk of drafting before preseason is over.

I usually do 2 cheap leagues before preseason to kind of test the waters.

1 hour ago, Mr.Joshua said:

For 16 years we have drafted the night before opening kickoff but I just don't get the risk of drafting before preseason is over.

It's a two way street, if you draft early, you can get ahead of your league mates and find value before injuries or training camp/preseason injuries etc, but that can also go against you.  Here are a couple notable names I recall from an early draft of mine, and where they went at after preseason

Jerrick McKinnon:  early, about 3rd round.  Late, undrafted

Chris Carson:  early, about 8th/9th round.  Late:  5th

I only play in high stakes expert leagues that draft in June before the consensus catches on to what I've known the whole time. 

Jk... Draft labor day weekend when games are over. It's completely ridiculous to start a league when you lose key players before the season even begins to something completely unforeseeable. 

• Haha 1

Sure, obviously it makes sense to draft right before the season starts so you don't lose a player to injury in meaningless games or camp.

But as mentioned above, then you lose the advantage of all the research you've done throughout the offseason.  Everyone will know that sleeper RB currently third on the depth chart has seized control of the job and will be a fringe RB1.  Everyone will know that sleeper TE is going to be featured in the offense.  I remember Russel Wilson's first training camp, I was all over him and knew he'd be great.  He only had to beat out Matt Flynn (what a joke) and Tavaris Jackson.  He played in some of the early preseason games but didn't start until I believe the third game.  But my draft didn't happen until the last weekend.  By then, the cat was out of the bag.

And if the injury bug strikes, then that just sucks and it's completely bad luck.  But your guys could just as well get injured week 1 as well too and then you just have to deal with it.

Late drafting would help with these holdout situations however.  But if you know that Zeke and Gordon are back, then they're going to go in the first round where they should be going.  If you are bold in an early draft to take Gordon at a discount in the mid second and he ends up showing up, then you've struck gold.  If you were bold in some early drafts to take Tyreek Hill in the 4th round when there was talk of an 8 game suspension, you've just got a league winner.  (Which is why I'm not playing any of those large best ball tournaments on DRAFT, there are likely so many strong teams already in it because of drafting early and getting a guy like Tyreek Hill at a discount.)

I prefer to draft as late as possible that fits everyone's schedule. To me, that creates the most even playing field heading into the season. You don't want one team to be out of it before games even start just because of a few freak injuries to key players. I get argument saying that more sleepers can be acquired if the draft is earlier, but is that really what we want? If that's the case, why are we just drafting a few months in advance? Why not a year, two years, three years ahead? Also, what about the period between the draft and the start of the season. Are you going to have weekly waivers on until then? Is it first come first serve? Or can players not be added till the start of the season? And if you wait until the start of the season, that post-draft waiver stud just happens to go to the guy with the highest waiver priority? Is that fair?

In the end, I don't think it really matters that much as everyone's on a level playing field. I just think if we're drafting for the upcoming season that we might as well have all the information we can heading into the draft before the season starts.

Edited by Idoolittle

Redraft is last weekend in August for us. Gets most of the headache of contracts, injuries, depth charts/questions out of the way for a cleaner draft.

Our yearly rookie draft for Dynasty league however, is a 5 round draft which usually takes place a couple of weeks after the real NFL draft, so around early to mid May.
We feel it keeps it as authentic as possible and are not afforded the luxury of training camps nor pre-season games to make decisions on rookies; everything is done purely on research, gut feeling on players and situations coming straight out of college and into landing spots.

Both very deep leagues. Our Dynasty league has roster sizes of 30. Probably sounds crazy, but our group like the thought that your roster and players are all pretty precious commodities to develop and hold on to; long term projects you're desperately willing to come good, rather than cutting and adding players all over the place which would really remove a sense of personal feel for our league.

We up our roster sizes temporarily to 35 between May-August to accommodate the 5 drafted players, then we'll have a league wide 5 man cutdown back down to 35 just prior to NFL Gameweek 1.

We're all West Ham fans and so all come from a soccer background. I don't know if any of you guys ever heard of or played the old Championship Manager games on the PC in the 90s and turn of the century. I think that's kinda what's helped shape our outlook somewhat and it isn't always a case of win first (of course we all do want to win the league, but if you find yourself the 12th best team in the league, it's every bit as fun embarking on a Browns-like period of rebuild as it is chasing the title), but we put a hell of a lot into our franchise identification. We have badges, helmets, stadia, logos, uniforms, the lot!

Probably sounds a bit mental to most on here! :D 

• Like 1