Sign in to follow this  
sjm76

Do you prefer drafting before or after the preseason games start and why?

14 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:

I prefer to draft as late as possible that fits everyone's schedule. To me, that creates the most even playing field heading into the season. You don't want one team to be out of it before games even start just because of a few freak injuries to key players. I get argument saying that more sleepers can be acquired if the draft is earlier, but is that really what we want? If that's the case, why are we just drafting a few months in advance? Why not a year, two years, three years ahead? Also, what about the period between the draft and the start of the season. Are you going to have weekly waivers on until then? Is it first come first serve? Or can players not be added till the start of the season? And if you wait until the start of the season, that post-draft waiver stud just happens to go to the guy with the highest waiver priority? Is that fair?

In the end, I don't think it really matters that much as everyone's on a level playing field. I just think if we're drafting for the upcoming season that we might as well have all the information we can heading into the draft before the season starts.

When did fantasy football become a 'soccer trophy for all' hobby? The name of the game and the reason why we are all on these message boards and scouring the internet is to gain a competitive advantage.  If you want everyone to be on equal footing, why not print out a cheatsheet and hand it out at the draft and everybody drafts from the same one like we used to do back in the day with the ESPN standard cheatsheet?

The draft is one of the times when the smarter players can gain an advantage over the more casual owner.  (The other of course being in-season roster moves and working the wire.)  Once your draft is logged, then whatever platform you are on, the season starts and (at least on Yahoo), yes, you have weekly waivers if that's how your league is set-up.  (I doubt anybody does first come first serve anymore.)  It's not like we're doing this in June, so you're not going to have 10 weeks of waivers before the season.  Even if you drafted this weekend, you'll have about a month of waivers and that's it. 

To each their own, of course.  Ultimately I think most draft dates are decided upon by when everybody is available.  August is tough with summer vacations, kids going back to school, etc. I know for us, it's hard enough to get everyone available so we take whatever we can get.

I prefer to draft late, but that is just me.  I just feel like preseason can really work for or against you.  One player can have a great preseason, skyrocketing their ADP and losing value they could have had before.  On the other hand, some guys could have a less exciting preseason and drop their value just a bit.  Reports are always positive coming out of camp, everyone is in "the best shape they've ever been" and "looking great" etc. etc.  I prefer to have the most information at hand as possible - I would rather have to take a guy a few rounds earlier than I would have a month or two prior than just take some shots in the dark because of hype, speculation, etc.  I would be interested to see how many early draft "steals" or values result in league wins vs potentially getting the same guys at their ADPs later in the preseason or having to draft a little differently because you won't get that guy at the price you'd wanted.  Hill could potentially be a major steal this year from early drafts, but Bell was a potential steal last year.....end of story.

3 hours ago, CooL said:

Sure, obviously it makes sense to draft right before the season starts so you don't lose a player to injury in meaningless games or camp.

But as mentioned above, then you lose the advantage of all the research you've done throughout the offseason.  Everyone will know that sleeper RB currently third on the depth chart has seized control of the job and will be a fringe RB1.  Everyone will know that sleeper TE is going to be featured in the offense.  I remember Russel Wilson's first training camp, I was all over him and knew he'd be great.  He only had to beat out Matt Flynn (what a joke) and Tavaris Jackson.  He played in some of the early preseason games but didn't start until I believe the third game.  But my draft didn't happen until the last weekend.  By then, the cat was out of the bag.

And if the injury bug strikes, then that just sucks and it's completely bad luck.  But your guys could just as well get injured week 1 as well too and then you just have to deal with it.

Late drafting would help with these holdout situations however.  But if you know that Zeke and Gordon are back, then they're going to go in the first round where they should be going.  If you are bold in an early draft to take Gordon at a discount in the mid second and he ends up showing up, then you've struck gold.  If you were bold in some early drafts to take Tyreek Hill in the 4th round when there was talk of an 8 game suspension, you've just got a league winner.  (Which is why I'm not playing any of those large best ball tournaments on DRAFT, there are likely so many strong teams already in it because of drafting early and getting a guy like Tyreek Hill at a discount.)

This thread existed last year and very similar things were said, but realistically I think it's all a product of draft date. 

If your league has a Sept 1st draft date there's a good chance that majority will start researching in August when games are happening. The few junkies that love the game will know about the sleepers and the who to watch for before the games begin because they've been researching, but us junkies always gonna do that cause we love this. 

If your league has a July 1st start date then by nature of that draft date your whole league will also start researching in June and quickly find out most of what you've already found out. It's just the actual draft date that determines when people begin their prep and research. 

If you had an early draft you also probably would have never thought Melvin Gordon would hold out and likely dropped a top 7 pick on him. Same for Zeke. 

Just draft later. There's still a lot of early info that can be exploited on those overnight crammers. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, steevio_uk said:

Redraft is last weekend in August for us. Gets most of the headache of contracts, injuries, depth charts/questions out of the way for a cleaner draft.

Our yearly rookie draft for Dynasty league however, is a 5 round draft which usually takes place a couple of weeks after the real NFL draft, so around early to mid May.
We feel it keeps it as authentic as possible and are not afforded the luxury of training camps nor pre-season games to make decisions on rookies; everything is done purely on research, gut feeling on players and situations coming straight out of college and into landing spots.

Both very deep leagues. Our Dynasty league has roster sizes of 30. Probably sounds crazy, but our group like the thought that your roster and players are all pretty precious commodities to develop and hold on to; long term projects you're desperately willing to come good, rather than cutting and adding players all over the place which would really remove a sense of personal feel for our league.

We up our roster sizes temporarily to 35 between May-August to accommodate the 5 drafted players, then we'll have a league wide 5 man cutdown back down to 35 just prior to NFL Gameweek 1.

We're all West Ham fans and so all come from a soccer background. I don't know if any of you guys ever heard of or played the old Championship Manager games on the PC in the 90s and turn of the century. I think that's kinda what's helped shape our outlook somewhat and it isn't always a case of win first (of course we all do want to win the league, but if you find yourself the 12th best team in the league, it's every bit as fun embarking on a Browns-like period of rebuild as it is chasing the title), but we put a hell of a lot into our franchise identification. We have badges, helmets, stadia, logos, uniforms, the lot!

Probably sounds a bit mental to most on here! :D 

Doesn't sound mental to me. 

Sounds bad-A

6 hours ago, CooL said:

When did fantasy football become a 'soccer trophy for all' hobby? The name of the game and the reason why we are all on these message boards and scouring the internet is to gain a competitive advantage.  If you want everyone to be on equal footing, why not print out a cheatsheet and hand it out at the draft and everybody drafts from the same one like we used to do back in the day with the ESPN standard cheatsheet?

The draft is one of the times when the smarter players can gain an advantage over the more casual owner.  (The other of course being in-season roster moves and working the wire.)  Once your draft is logged, then whatever platform you are on, the season starts and (at least on Yahoo), yes, you have weekly waivers if that's how your league is set-up.  (I doubt anybody does first come first serve anymore.)  It's not like we're doing this in June, so you're not going to have 10 weeks of waivers before the season.  Even if you drafted this weekend, you'll have about a month of waivers and that's it. 

To each their own, of course.  Ultimately I think most draft dates are decided upon by when everybody is available.  August is tough with summer vacations, kids going back to school, etc. I know for us, it's hard enough to get everyone available so we take whatever we can get.

Whether the draft is in early August or right before the season starts, you still need to do your research, have a draft strategy, use your intuition, etc. to draft the right players and gain a competitive advantage. So I'm not sure the point you're trying to make is valid here. What I meant by levelling out the playing field is decreasing the inherent risk (i.e. the risk they get hurt, suspended, go to jail, etc.) associated with holding players for a longer period of time. This is the risk that has less to do with strategy and more to do with luck. So by levelling out this aspect, it increases the importance of having a strong strategy so it's your strategy that wins/losses your league, not a fluke.

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter that much, because the inherent risk is still there when the season starts. The difference in the inherent risk in a 16 week season vs a 21 week season isn't that significant, especially if they're not playing real games during those extra weeks. So as you mentioned, just draft when everyone is available to draft. But if I had the option between drafting early and drafting late, I'd rather draft as late as possible (without going into the actual season itself).

Edited by Idoolittle

9 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

If your league has a Sept 1st draft date there's a good chance that majority will start researching in August when games are happening. The few junkies that love the game will know about the sleepers and the who to watch for before the games begin because they've been researching, but us junkies always gonna do that cause we love this. 

If your league has a July 1st start date then by nature of that draft date your whole league will also start researching in June and quickly find out most of what you've already found out. It's just the actual draft date that determines when people begin their prep and research. 

There is a huge difference between research done in June as opposed to August.   In June without the benefit of training camp and preseason you have to rely on your projections.  In August any idiot can turn on the 3rd preseason game and see that the "2nd" RB on the depth chart is actually the one dominating the carries.  

As mentioned before in this thread ADP is much more fluid in July than August.  Middle round guys regularly go one to two rounds earlier or later than their ADP at the time.  At the end of August ADP is much more settled so it is rare for that much variation.  A lot more opportunities for value when you draft early.

Everyone takes the injury/holdout/suspension risk so you shouldn't worry about that.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

^^ Pretty much nailed it.

I prefer an earlier draft to take advantage of the bargains and values coming out of the draft as well as training camp. I think engaged and savvy owners who stay on top of news, signings, practices, etc in the offseason should be rewarded.

However, from a league competitive standpoint, training camp and preseason injuries can absolutely destroy a fantasy team before they officially post a valid roster in week 1. IMO, that's not fun, nor fair. Especially if owners are investing a couple of hundred bucks into the league. One of my main leagues had some preliminary discussions about compensation for scenarios like that, but never came close to anything.

For that reason, I prefer a draft sometime after week 3 of the preseason. It's just fair and common sense for everyone.

Our $200 entry league has to draft this Friday(earliest it's ever been) so we added 3 free roster moves that can only be used to replace an injured player and must be used before start of the regular season.I like your take on the advantages and have been cramming as much info as I can because when I first heard we were drafting this early I was not happy.

Final weekend on a Sunday before the start of the season. It's tradition.

We also have Labor Day off so we can party hard. I love having all teams know who is hurt and who is not. No surprises like my other league when I drafted McKinnon and he got injured that very week. You still need to do your research and know your sleepers, know your handcuffs, and keep up with the offseason and preseason. Fantasy cheatsheets will always be available, even right after the draft. Sure they won't be as accurate as they are in late August, which means you have to do your homework a bit more, but info is everywhere anyway. If you want to, you can find all of that now.

So it's best just to have it in late August/1st week of September IMO..

• Like 1

Never understood the people who want early drafts.

Yes, sleepers have lower ADPs before preseason but you're risking having your drafted players injured in meaningless (games that dont count for fantasy) games before the season even starts.

• Like 3

People who like super early drafts are the same people keeping the hardcore S&M market alive.

a little csb but shows the positive in drafting early and exploiting rankings/prices if you put in the work/research and getting lucky. also feel like less inj in preseason because no one plays.

this is one team draft before preseason. got shady ($2), singletary ($1), josh Gordon ($1), montogomery ($21- $300 budget), lamar Jackson $9  added brisett for free (2 qb league)

Aside from the injury argument against early drafts, I think yesterday’s cut-day events illustrate why it’s best to hold the draft after the teams are down to a 53-man roster. Lots of big names get cut and moved for salary cap reasons, and that has huge ripple effects. In-season trades are rare in the NFL. But there was no way to price in something crazy like Shady getting cut from Buffalo and being signed in KC within hours.

When my league drafts Tuesday night, all of that information will be baked in, and the unknown is only what happens during the actual season.

I pretty much always draft early, I get better value. As far as injuries I've had players injured before week 1 and players injured on week 1. Preseason injuries don't screw me over nearly as much as early regular season. I would rather deal with injuries early so i have time to make moves set up trades, etc.