Sign in to follow this  
ST. STEVEN

Patrick Sandoval 2019 Outlook

A sort of unheralded guy (though always pitched well), originally from the HOU farm system, that a few of us have followed in the "deep sleepers" MILB forum...he made his big league debut tonight for the Angels as the bulk man and def caught my eye (5IP 3H 2ER 2BB 8K). Showed a legit 4 pitch mix from the left side. He has always missed bats in the minors too. Chart tonight:

FA- averaged 94 and hit 97, both horizontal and esp vertical action on it, threw 42--26 strikes with 18 swings and 2 whiffs

CH- main secondary, great double dive and dart movements to it at 83 MPH, tossed up 34--23 strikes with 19 swings and 11 whiffs!

SL- fairly firm at 87+ MPH, decent vert/spin action to it, threw 11--7 strikes with 4 swings and 2 whiffs

CU- nice spot on the velo spectrum at 76 MPH and big loopy shape to it, spun up 9--4 strikes with 3 hacks and 2 whiffs

*Should note that I really liked his zone plots, buried his off-speed stuff just below the lowest quadrant and mixed in some upper level fastballs, but really stayed outta the heart and was working the edges very well, lots of very close pitches called balls, at least 6 I count that were in the zone and called balls and many barely off the black. Might be a little something here? Angels could use some good fortune with their staff!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sandoval is listed as the starter for Sunday's game in Boston, Jeff Fletcher of The Orange County Register reports.

He followed an opener (Taylor Cole) in his MLB debut Monday, and the Angels could still tweak things and have him follow an opener Sunday based on who is available, but for now he is listed as a traditional starter. Sandoval's high-effort delivery is not necessarily geared for the rotation, but it worked for him over five innings in Cincinnati, as he surrendered two earned runs on three hits and two walks while striking out eight

19 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Sandoval is listed as the starter for Sunday's game in Boston, Jeff Fletcher of The Orange County Register reports.

He followed an opener (Taylor Cole) in his MLB debut Monday, and the Angels could still tweak things and have him follow an opener Sunday based on who is available, but for now he is listed as a traditional starter. Sandoval's high-effort delivery is not necessarily geared for the rotation, but it worked for him over five innings in Cincinnati, as he surrendered two earned runs on three hits and two walks while striking out eight

Is he a good stash/sit vs BOS to see how he does?

15 minutes ago, DarinB300 said:

Is he a good stash/sit vs BOS to see how he does?

As always, format dependent...but I think he is def worth a stash in deeper leagues and esp 12 team points leagues. The stuff looked awfully good to me, way better than I expected.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

As always, format dependent...but I think he is def worth a stash in deeper leagues and esp 12 team points leagues. The stuff looked awfully good to me, way better than I expected.

In a 12team pts league & have a free slot, so may stash him then. Thanks!!

Good start for the kid last night, he has the stuff to be quite useful imo...ERA is kinda bloated but 27K/10BB in 22 innings on the season, last night:

FA- sat 93+mph, topped at 96+ with great double plus movements on it, threw 42--27 strikes with 19 swings and 5 whiffs on the offering

CH- main secondary, sat 84 MPH with awesome dive/dart actions to it, tossed 26--14 strikes with 13 swings and 10 whiffers!

CU- killer spin/shape to it, great compliment on velo spectrum at 78 MPH, spun 10--7 strikes with 4 swings and 2 whiffs

SL- love it at a fairly firm 88 MPH, good spin, tossed in only 6--4 strikes with 3 hacks and 3 whiffs on it

Zone plots were pretty sweet, I see good use of the upper quadrant and great work burying the off-speed stuff, I spot 5 missed calls on pitches in the zone. Would appear he has a solid 4 pitch mix he can go to and miss bats with all his offerings, this is plus stuff from the left side with a good home park and great defense behind him. Arrow ^^^

7 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Good start for the kid last night, he has the stuff to be quite useful imo...ERA is kinda bloated but 27K/10BB in 22 innings on the season, last night:

FA- sat 93+mph, topped at 96+ with great double plus movements on it, threw 42--27 strikes with 19 swings and 5 whiffs on the offering

CH- main secondary, sat 84 MPH with awesome dive/dart actions to it, tossed 26--14 strikes with 13 swings and 10 whiffers!

CU- killer spin/shape to it, great compliment on velo spectrum at 78 MPH, spun 10--7 strikes with 4 swings and 2 whiffs

SL- love it at a fairly firm 88 MPH, good spin, tossed in only 6--4 strikes with 3 hacks and 3 whiffs on it

Zone plots were pretty sweet, I see good use of the upper quadrant and great work burying the off-speed stuff, I spot 5 missed calls on pitches in the zone. Would appear he has a solid 4 pitch mix he can go to and miss bats with all his offerings, this is plus stuff from the left side with a good home park and great defense behind him. Arrow ^^^

I have a hunch you really like this kid