Jump to content
Rotoworld.com Forums

Derrick White 2019-2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His name is Dunn. Kris Dunn.

Keep your expectations low boys, Pop’s senile a** will start Eubanks at PG 

He hasn't been own city all season

4 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I drafted him in the 9th round and I’ll take a wait and see approach.

He’s the best two way combo guard on the roster. His outside shot is a lot better than people think, it’s just that Pops handicaps his team by still catering to an old school mid range game since he thinks chucking threes isn’t classy.

He’s high floor low ceiling in his current role, but the difference with White is that he could very quickly become high ceiling if Pops realizes he’s just a far better talent than Forbes/belli/mills. 

Lonnie is the only other guy on the roster with his two way upside (I don’t count Murray because he’s not a good enough shooter currently).

I had him projected for 12/4/4/1/1 and 1 three, which is what bbm has him at as well on solid percentages.

He went from a rookie playing 8 minutes to near 26 minutes in his sophomore campaign, it’s rare for Pops to trust young players like that. Pops also coached team USA at FIBA and made sure to get White on the roster, that’s a boost of confidence.

Don’t forget as a sophomore this guy had a game against the Nuggets where he put up 15/21 shooting, 36/5/5/3/1 and 1 3. He played really well the entire series. He’s a big defensive guard who’s a swiss army knife offensively, and is a solid athlete. There is no position battle as far as I’m concerned, it’s just that I’d rather he be the starter, and I predict eventually he will because Forbes is really small for a shooting guard.

 

Why do you think Popovich is limiting his offensive game though? Forbes and Mills are shooting as many threes as they want. White himself said he needs to work on his outside shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RipCity0 said:

 

Why do you think Popovich is limiting his offensive game though? Forbes and Mills are shooting as many threes as they want. White himself said he needs to work on his outside shot.

 

I'm not insinuating he doesn't need to improve his jumper, but his actual stroke looks really solid. The Spurs are regularly top 5 in 3 pt efficiency, but bottom 5 in attempts. Aldridge, DeMar, Gay, are the kings of long twos, Pops likes particular guys to shoot open threes within the system who are high efficiency 3 pt shooters, he even came out during the year and said he hates that the NBA is a 3 point shooting game now.. and it aligns with their actual stats as a team. 

Derrick's shooting percentages in college are 50%/39.9% 3 point FG/81% FT, these are the marks of a good shooter in all ranges.. you look at his stroke and it doesn't look like he needs a lot of work, just repetitions. 

Here's what he shoots on the season from different ranges:

46.8% on mid range pull ups

55.9% at less than 10 feet

33% on catch and shoot threes (measly 1.6 attempts)

36% on pull up threes (.5 attempts)

The percentage isn't egregious to the point that it highlights a player who shouldn't be shooting 3's, he needs more attempts simply put to see where the percentages land, but all of his percentages across college, and his shot form speak to someone who is very capable and should be given the green light.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You all forget about the fact that there is only 96 minutes for two guards positions and not more (only if overtime is played). And you forget that Patty Mills is also in team and DeMar DeRozan can also play some minutes at guard position if needed. And because DeRozan don't hit threes and Murray also not much, therefore they need minutes for Forbes and Mills. It is not possible for White to get more than 20 minutes, that is clear mathematics. I will not draft him for sure.

Edited by apatas
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also here information: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was asked if he'd start Forbes alongside Dejounte Murray on opening night, and he said he's "strongly leaning" in that direction. Forbes gives the team much-needed court spacing and he made 2.1 triples per game last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Belli is 33, Patty is 31, Forbes is a 6’3 no defense guard.

Talent wins out, other than Murray and Walker, white is 25 and close to 6’5.

The first three guys are one dimensional catch and shoot players, white is a multi dimensional scorer and ball handler who can play two positions.

I normally try to avoid timeshares and crowded situations, but I’ve also had it in the past where you took a backup and eventually he ceded the starter and dominated (draymond and David lee, Isaiah Thomas and Darren collision).

it also wouldn’t make sense that the minutes go from 8 to 26 and then to put him back down to 20 below three guys he’s younger and more talented than.

I’ll take a wait and see approach, but there isn’t a ton to lose at round 9 and beyond, there’s plenty of replacement level players available on the wire who’ll outplay their current rank, the first two months are full of them. 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

it also wouldn’t make sense that the minutes go from 8 to 26 and then to put him back down to 20.

But Dejounte Murray didn't play last season. Now he take most of PG minutes and as I said in SG position Popovich prefer three point shooters. Just no minutes for White.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apatas said:

But Dejounte Murray didn't play last season. Now he take most of PG minutes and as I said in SG position Popovich prefer three point shooters. Just no minutes for White.

Hot take.  I know message boards are made for hot sports opinions, but this is quite the knee-jerk reaction based on a couple preseason games, even by RW forum standards.  Let's see if "no minutes for White" after 10 regular season games or so.

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

Hot take.  I know message boards are made for hot sports opinions, but this is quite the knee-jerk reaction based on a couple preseason games, even by RW forum standards.  Let's see if "no minutes for White" after 10 regular season games or so.

OK, I wanted to say no more minutes - in earlier post I predicted 20 minutes. That is my guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, apatas said:

OK, I wanted to say no more minutes - in earlier post I predicted 20 minutes. That is my guess.

You have to think Murray will be limited to the 26-28 minute range at least initially, and I think may load-manage him also ( at least initially).  So your prediction of 20 minutes for White presupposes that White will only be a backup PG behind Murray and they will never play any minutes together.  I disagree.  Although I do agree, reading the preseason rotations it does look like Forbes will start halves but I think it's so they can stagger Dejounte/White's minutes, and allow them to sprinkle in Mills later in halves when one of either Murray/Dejounte are on the floor.  I think on average the White/Dejounte pairing end up playing at least 8-10 minutes at the same time and therefore White ends up averaging @ 28 minutes per game.  As for the other guys, Mills is an 8 to 10 minute guy at this point, Forbes is a 12-15 minute guy whose role is to start halves allowing them to stagger White/Murray, Belli in the 20-22 minute range playing SG in some lineups but mainly backing up deRozan at SF.  Just spit-balling, we'll see more clearly after 10 games or so.

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

You have to think Murray will be limited to the 26-28 minute range at least initially, and I think may load-manage him also ( at least initially).  So your prediction of 20 minutes for White presupposes that White will only be a backup PG behind Murray and they will never play any minutes together.  I disagree.  Although I do agree, reading the preseason rotations it does look like Forbes will start halves but I think it's so they can stagger Dejounte/White's minutes, and allow them to sprinkle in Mills later in halves when one of either Murray/Dejounte are on the floor.  I think on average the White/Dejounte pairing end up playing at least 8-10 minutes at the same time and therefore White ends up averaging @ 28 minutes per game.  As for the other guys, Mills is an 8 to 10 minute guy at this point, Forbes is a 12-15 minute guy whose role is to start halves allowing them to stagger White/Murray, Belli in the 20-22 minute range playing SG in some lineups but mainly backing up deRozan at SF.  Just spit-balling, we'll see more clearly after 10 games or so.

I don't believe Pop plays Forbes+Mills only 25 minutes (15 + 10). Absolutely not! My prediction is 25 to Forbes and 17-18 for Mills. Every season Mills have played the same amount of minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, apatas said:

I don't believe Pop plays Forbes+Mills only 25 minutes (15 + 10). Absolutely not! My prediction is 25 to Forbes and 17-18 for Mills. Every season Mills have played the same amount of minutes.

We can agree to disagree then.  I think Pop is too smart to pigeonhole White as only a Dejounte backup.  White is a combo guard and is much more versatile especially defensively relative to a one-dimensional player like Forbes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

We can agree to disagree then.  I think Pop is too smart to pigeonhole White as only a Dejounte backup.  White is a combo guard and is much more versatile especially defensively relative to a one-dimensional player like Forbes.

I agree that it is completely irrelevant what I said now, because anyway everything will be clear when season starts. After 5-10 games we can see how many minutes somebody get.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He shot 10 fgs and only one of them was a 3 and he missed it. Sorry I don't think it's Pop's fault. If he doesn't get better and more confident at shooting the ball he is just a similar version of Dejounte. So one of them on the floor is enough if you think of the overall fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 5:25 PM, Gile Pile said:

How about defense?  Somebody has to defend guards positions. Murray and White are best defenders, they will be fine. I expect one of them to be on the floor all the time

 

This doesn't really mean they will be fine. Of course one of them will be on the floor all the time, but this doesn't mean the problem is solved. They need to play together for us to say they will be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

 

This doesn't really mean they will be fine. Of course one of them will be on the floor all the time, but this doesn't mean the problem is solved. They need to play together for us to say they will be fine.

I think they will be staggered but still they will play around 8-10 minutes together.  That's enough for each of them to clear 30 minutes, maybe not every game because Pop likes to play matchups, but on average.   Ya'll are making them sound like they are Rajon Rondo from outside the arc which isn't true.  Neither are great 3 pt. shooters, but both are competent.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, El_Chingon said:

I think they will be staggered but still they will play around 8-10 minutes together.  That's enough for each of them to clear 30 minutes, maybe not every game because Pop likes to play matchups, but on average.   Ya'll are making them sound like they are Rajon Rondo from outside the arc which isn't true.  Neither are great 3 pt. shooters, but both are competent.  

 

I wish they had Rondo's confidence, because White can certainly do it. Somehow he is still afraid of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

I think they will be staggered but still they will play around 8-10 minutes together.  That's enough for each of them to clear 30 minutes, maybe not every game because Pop likes to play matchups, but on average.   Ya'll are making them sound like they are Rajon Rondo from outside the arc which isn't true.  Neither are great 3 pt. shooters, but both are competent.  


Rondo has actually become a pretty decent three point shooter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Derrick White 2019-2020 Outlook

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...