thebadferret

Terry McLaurin 2019 Outlook

For the immediate future, I think you have to start him no matter what, especially with Case at QB.  The matchups don't look good but, until he falters multiple weeks, you gotta play him.

He's currently the #8 point getter at WR, and he played 1 less game than most WR's.  If you go by average points per game (standard), he's the #2 overall WR.  This is not someone you take out of the lineup right now.

If he has 2 bad games and I have a strong guy on my bench, I might start considering playing matchups.  The fact that McLaurin is on your team means that you probably don't have a ton of great options at WR.  Most of us got him on the waiver wire because we were in bad shape there.

15 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

He's the number 6 WR in the league in terms of fantasy points per game. He's a WR1 until further notice. He lit up the Bears and put up over 50 yards against the Pats. I think he's a locked in starter every week until further notice. 

The 1st WR to go over 50 yards against the Patriots and that was with a QB (McCoy) that doesn't have much chemistry with.  Keenum is much better for him.  Tate also did that last week, but on the virtue of one long TD that the corner almost knocked away.

Edited by rocket

29 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

For the immediate future, I think you have to start him no matter what, especially with Case at QB.  The matchups don't look good but, until he falters multiple weeks, you gotta play him.

He's currently the #8 point getter at WR, and he played 1 less game than most WR's.  If you go by average points per game (standard), he's the #2 overall WR.  This is not someone you take out of the lineup right now.

If he has 2 bad games and I have a strong guy on my bench, I might start considering playing matchups.  The fact that McLaurin is on your team means that you probably don't have a ton of great options at WR.  Most of us got him on the waiver wire because we were in bad shape there.

Yep, he's essentially replaced Antonio Brown for me.

13 minutes ago, rocket said:

The 1st WR to go over 50 yards against the Patriots and that was with a QB (McCoy) that doesn't have much chemistry with.  Keenum is much better for him.  Tate also did that last week, but on the virtue of one long TD that the corner almost knocked away.

In fairness, the Pats have not played any team with any sort of a passing attack aside from week 1 (Pitt with Big Ben).  Their schedule has been Pitt, Miami, Jets (without Darnold), Buffalo, Wash, and the Giants.  These are all teams that either emphasize the run (Bills) or have bad or inexperienced QBs.  The Pats do have a great defense, but it hasn't really been tested either.  Maybe Darnold will test them next week...he looked good yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

In fairness, the Pats have not played any team with any sort of a passing attack aside from week 1 (Pitt with Big Ben).  Their schedule has been Pitt, Miami, Jets (without Darnold), Buffalo, Wash, and the Giants.  These are all teams that either emphasize the run (Bills) or have bad or inexperienced QBs.  The Pats do have a great defense, but it hasn't really been tested either.  Maybe Darnold will test them next week...he looked good yesterday.

Pitt was with a healthy Rothlisberger and John Brown on Buffalo has been able to get production against other teams -- and 50 yards isn't exactly a high bar.

Edited by rocket

9 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Gilmore might be the best corner in the league. Not many #1 receivers on any team will have a great game against him.

Edited by ponchsox

2 minutes ago, rocket said:

Pitt was with a healthy Rothlisberger and John Brown on Buffalo has been able to get production against other teams -- and 50 yards isn't exactly a high bar.

I already said "aside from week 1" and nobody is afraid of Buffalo's passing attack.  But regardless, there's no argument here that the Pats haven't really faced anyone.  I mean, who are the top receivers they had go cover?  Aside from Juju, who are the premier WRs that they had to shut down? 

I'm in the boat that McLaurin is a stud too, btw.  I'm just saying that McLaurin is likely the 2nd best WR that they faced all year, next to Juju, so it's not that great an argument.  If the Pats shut down Michael Thomas or Deandre or something, and McLaurin had a good game against them, then sure.

1 minute ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

From week 11 on, the track looks clear with few twists and turns!!!!! 

The end of season schedule is great, but I wouldn't bank on it.  There's a decent chance that Wash decides to give Haskins some real game experience, and he could be awful to the point McLaurin is not a good option.  That's really the biggest risk here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I got him while everyone chased after Hollywood. I was last pick but didn't need to put in a claim for him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

The end of season schedule is great, but I wouldn't bank on it.  There's a decent chance that Wash decides to give Haskins some real game experience, and he could be awful to the point McLaurin is not a good option.  That's really the biggest risk here.

Glad I'm a risk taker then.

28 minutes ago, rocket said:

Was Big Ben healthy in Week 1? He was complaining of elbow pain during practice before Week 2, but was kept off the injury report. It’s possible the issue had been bothering him for longer than has been reported, which would explain a lot about that Pats game.

If that’s the case, maybe the NE defense can give up points vs. a good offense, and we just haven’t seen it. I have a feeling that at some point in the back half of the season, when the Pats play a few legit teams, fantasy owners are going to overthink it and sit studs based on how their defense performed against the Dolphins and the Falk-led Jets.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rocket said:

Pitt was with a healthy Rothlisberger

We don't know that.  Someone said that Roethlisberger's elbow was sore before the start of Game 2.  It's quite possible his elbow was sore against the Patriots.

Wouldn't Richard Sherman cover him next week?   The 49ers D seems solid.  Not sure what to think this week?  

I did start him yesterday.  Pretty much anytime you play against Miami, you start...

20 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Was Big Ben healthy in Week 1? He was complaining of elbow pain during practice before Week 2, but was kept off the injury report. It’s possible the issue had been bothering him for longer than has been reported, which would explain a lot about that Pats game.

If that’s the case, maybe the NE defense can give up points vs. a good offense, and we just haven’t seen it. I have a feeling that at some point in the back half of the season, when the Pats play a few legit teams, fantasy owners are going to overthink it and sit studs based on how their defense performed against the Dolphins and the Falk-led Jets.

The news came out that Rothlisberger was playing with elbow pain for years.  That's why he had been sitting out Wed. practice as part of his normal routine.  I doubt the elbow issue was something they were concerned about before game one, otherwise, they wouldn't use spread sets and try to throw the ball all game.  That's not the way to manage someone with elbow pain.  I'm not ready to annoint the Pat's Defense as the best all time.  All I know is that they usually try to take away what you do best -- and for the Redskins Scarry Terry is their #1 option on offense.

The Redskins played against the Pats without their best offensive lineman, the whole right side of the line and with a backup QB - McCoy that was coming of major injury and hadn't really practiced except to split reps for a week and half.  It's the worst possible situation to be in against the Pat's passing defense and in that context, McLaurin's performance in that context was really good.  

Edited by rocket

10 minutes ago, indyrckstar said:

Wouldn't Richard Sherman cover him next week?   The 49ers D seems solid.  Not sure what to think this week?  

I did start him yesterday.  Pretty much anytime you play against Miami, you start...

I'm not exactly sure on this but I believe Sherman just plays one side versus traditional shadow. Shadows also normally don't move to the slot (which Terry scored out of this week). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

I'm not exactly sure on this but I believe Sherman just plays one side versus traditional shadow. Shadows also normally don't move to the slot (which Terry scored out of this week). 

Moseley is a stud too.  They don't have too many holes.

4 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

Yes this is accurate and has been this way for years.

The larger issue is if Keenum can just get the time for Terry to get open, but I would not be sitting Terry based on the matchup or prob any matchup at this point.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

The larger issue is if Keenum can just get the time for Terry to get open, but I would not be sitting Terry based on the matchup or prob any matchup at this point.

Agree.  You cannot sit him right now.  Only Chris Godwin has a higher per-game point average than Terry, and Terry has had some tough matchups (Cowboys, Bears, Pats).  As I've said before, it would take something like a QB change or multiple bad performances to start reconsidering that.

I don't think McLaurin or Chark are studs you start no matter what for the entire course of the season, like Deandre or Davante or Michael Thomas, but they have earned enough credit to be every week starters until they start showing that they shouldn't be.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Don't see why this game won't play out much differently than week 2 when SF traveled to Cincy. Boyd and Ross combined for 234 yards and a td and it was pretty much all in garbage time with the game in hand. You can bet that Bosa and Ford being dinged up won't see any snaps once the game is in hand.

25 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

SCORIN' McLAURIN!

He's from Indianapolis too. Maybe we can incorporate some type of Indy 500 in here, idk. "Mclaurin Indycar"

Edited by Corey In Da House

this the video that made me snag him 

Edited by Thrill22
embedded incorrectly

I sat JuJu with Hodges going and played this guy yesterday.  I might have to start him RoS.  At some point you have to figure the production is no fluke.