thebadferret

Terry McLaurin 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

15 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

One person and a like. Big deal. Just remember “take what you need and leave the rest“ or “Winners do what they have to do and losers do what they want to do”. If you take into any stock from guys here you would have started Osbisi Johnson last night. I read he was a plug and play guy. Also he was taking Adam Theilan spot so he was raised into WR2 territory 

Before last nights game McLaurin was a top 17 WR in 1/2 ppr. do you recommend dropping a top 17 receiver?

Huh?  All I was responding to was your comment that nobody was suggesting to drop Terry.  There was chatter.  I will add that my response does sound a little rude...apologies if it came across that way.

Also, I'm not sure why you are asking me if I recommend dropping Terry.  I said that is crazy.

• Like 2

McLaurin is incredibly polished for a rookie and was open many times yesterday. The issue is having a coach stuck in the old days of football and choosing to run 65% of the time. If Keenum stays the starter, McLaurin will be fine. If Haskins starts the rest of the year, big trouble ahead. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, HeHateMe23 said:

Good WR in one of the worst situations you can imagine.  I wouldn't feel comfortable at all throwing him out there again.

I don't know that I'll start him again for a while.

But I think he could still put up decent fantasy numbers on volume alone.  CB's have to honor his speed so it looks like he could get as many short passes as the coaches want. 

Man, between OC and QB, yeeeeesh.

Feel like I dodged a bullet keeping him on the bench, but now the big question is how comfortable I'll be rolling him out there anytime soon.....

Pretty straightforward for me. 

He sits the next 2 weeks, regardless of who the QB is.  Bills are too tough and then the bye.  Afterward, I start him if Case is playing, sit if it's Haskins or Colt.

• Like 3

Callahan has already said once Keenum is healthy, he’ll be the starter. I don’t think most of us were planning on starting him against Buffalo. So couple that with the bye and it gives Keenum ample time to get past the concussion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xfactor3 said:

McLaurin is incredibly polished for a rookie and was open many times yesterday. The issue is having a coach stuck in the old days of football and choosing to run 65% of the time. If Keenum stays the starter, McLaurin will be fine. If Haskins starts the rest of the year, big trouble ahead. 

This isn't an "old vs new" days of football argument, this is an argument about coaches learning that there's no "one size fits all" but should instead be playing to their strengths in any given year. It's how the Patriots earn a collective groan outside of Boston. They keep ignoring protocol and playing to their strengths.

Washington has a strength in McLaurin and should be playing mismatches there wherever possible. Nothing else matters, but it just speaks to the maturity of the organization that they can't get past "Football 101".

Football 101: Old-school philosophy
Football 201: There are other valid philosophies out there
Football 301: Each philosophy has it's place, tailor your strategy to your strength
Football 401: Each philosophy has it's place, tailor your strategy to your strength AND your opponent's weakness

Only the Patriots can claim to have taken and passed F401. Still not convinced Washington has even audited F101.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Xfactor3 said:

Theres no way Haskins starts after the bye. If he does somehow, then I'd be ok with dropping Mclaurin in redraft.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TheDude4bides said:

This isn't an "old vs new" days of football argument, this is an argument about coaches learning that there's no "one size fits all" but should instead be playing to their strengths in any given year. It's how the Patriots earn a collective groan outside of Boston. They keep ignoring protocol and playing to their strengths.

Washington has a strength in McLaurin and should be playing mismatches there wherever possible. Nothing else matters, but it just speaks to the maturity of the organization that they can't get past "Football 101".

Football 301: Each philosophy has it's place, tailor your strategy to your strength
Football 401: Each philosophy has it's place, tailor your strategy to your strength AND your opponent's weakness

Only the Patriots can claim to have taken and passed F401. Still not convinced Washington has even audited F101.

I would venture the Colts are heading in that direction as well under Reich

3 hours ago, dsrich said:

Was well on his way to a solid game

Monster game. Rhodes couldnt cover him. Fantasy can be cruel sometimes 

• Like 1

Not sure who said they're dropping - maybe in 10-teamers I guess. I didn't take the time to figure it out - have only seen reactions to such a ridiculous notion.

He's bench material for the next two weeks for sure - but he's not a drop.

Redskins have more reason than anyone else to "Rosen" their rook QB - Haskins needs some XFL/CFL seasoning. Preferably he plays in both leagues because improvement is sorely needed.

10 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Pretty straightforward for me. 

He sits the next 2 weeks, regardless of who the QB is.  Bills are too tough and then the bye.  Afterward, I start him if Case is playing, sit if it's Haskins or Colt.

This is what should be done...Way to talented to drop...yet

I got him in dynasty so I'm keeping anyway!

9 hours ago, TheDude4bides said:

Sean McVay is in final exams of Football 301. Good post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Not sure who said they're dropping - maybe in 10-teamers I guess. I didn't take the time to figure it out - have only seen reactions to such a ridiculous notion.

He's bench material for the next two weeks for sure - but he's not a drop.

48 minutes ago, hockeyfan77 said:

This is what should be done...Way to talented to drop...yet

I get this viewpoint, but the "yet" is the key here. If you wait 3-4 weeks and Haskins takes over and McLaurin isn't the same you've now wasted nearly two months with him. That could be a very valuable roster spot. 

Obviously in 12+ teamers with deep benches he's a clear hold, but a 10-teamer where guys like Corey Davis, Metcalf, AJ Brown, etc. were on waivers to start the week, and potentially having 2-4 guys on a bye, it's getting very tough to justify the hold. 

If you're in a tough bind with byes, and in certain league sizes, I can see some merit to dropping him.  Personally though, I'm going to hold him until they completely commit to Haskins at QB, and even then I'll hold to see if Haskins shocks the world.  WRs with extremely high snap count % and target share %s do not grow on trees, never mind the fact that Terry is incredibly good at football and has a great chemistry with Keenum who has been declared the starter when healthy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I get this viewpoint, but the "yet" is the key here. If you wait 3-4 weeks and Haskins takes over and McLaurin isn't the same you've now wasted nearly two months with him. That could be a very valuable roster spot. 

You can't drop McLaurin BEFORE Haskins takes over...you wait until he takes over and then drop McLaurin.  He may never take over. 

We've all seen how atrocious he is and the HC said basically immediately after the last game that Case keeps his job if he is healthy.  That's not a vote of confidence for Haskins...quite the opposite.  There's no indication anywhere that Haskins is getting the job soon.

If/when Haskins takes over, McLaurin immediately goes to the bench, and if 1, maaaybe 2, weeks of horrible stats happens, he's a drop.

The redskins are still in the business of selling tickets and making some money.   There is absolutely no way they can roll with Haskins.   The game is unwatchable with him behind the center.   If he was named the starter i would clear a roster spot and drop Terry.... with Case this guy is one of the top receivers in the NFL,     Good god Haskins needs to give the redskins their money back. 

9 minutes ago, smash10033 said:

The redskins are still in the business of selling tickets and making some money.   There is absolutely no way they can roll with Haskins.   The game is unwatchable with him behind the center.   If he was named the starter i would clear a roster spot and drop Terry.... with Case this guy is one of the top receivers in the NFL,     Good god Haskins needs to give the redskins their money back. 

Haskins is a project and needs time to develop.  As bad as he is, he's a rookie playing the toughest position in the NFL.

Hes not ready to play but let's be reasonable here.  

Haskins has all the experience of one year in college and a handful of snaps in the NFL in real game situations (beyond High School). He's going to take some time. Talent is there, but it will take a while. I'm not really big on him as a prospect, but he's not relevant (or shouldn't be) until at least next year. 

So uh Haskins is basically an arm without an even moderately developed football brain?

I'm dropping Terry if they ever come out and say "Haskins is the guy for the rest of the season, period."  Every team wants to follow the Mahomes model of a redshirt rookie year, but you can only get away with that if the team is winning and if the veteran can stay healthy.

Haskins is looking like he might be more on the Deshone Kizer model, where they don't really want to start him, but they have to because the other guys keep getting injured and/or sucking. The way this season is going, I can see Haskins getting starts because Keenum and/or McCoy is injured, but then also being benched (maybe multiple times) after embarrassing himself. That'll be a real rollercoaster for Terry's fantasy value, but you can still start him whenever Keenum is healthy, so I'm holding.

3 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

I'm dropping Terry if they ever come out and say "Haskins is the guy for the rest of the season, period."  Every team wants to follow the Mahomes model of a redshirt rookie year, but you can only get away with that if the team is winning and if the veteran can stay healthy.

Haskins is looking like he might be more on the Deshone Kizer model, where they don't really want to start him, but they have to because the other guys keep getting injured and/or sucking. The way this season is going, I can see Haskins getting starts because Keenum and/or McCoy is injured, but then also being benched (maybe multiple times) after embarrassing himself. That'll be a real rollercoaster for Terry's fantasy value, but you can still start him whenever Keenum is healthy, so I'm holding.

Agreed. I love F1 but if Haskins is his QB he will become unplayable. Maybe hey connect on a big play here or there but there will be zero consistency.