Sign in to follow this  
herschel

Joe Ross 2019 Outlook

Anything to see here?  He had a fantasy moment a year or two ago....

Joe Ross shut out the Giants for six innings in the Nationals' 4-1 victory.

Ross's track record should have gotten him more respect from the Nationals heading into the year, but he found himself out of rotation consideration after the Jeremy Hellickson signing and then he was thrown into the bullpen and jerked around for three months. Finally back in the rotation, he's been effective in all three of his starts for the club. It doesn't make him a mixed-league guy right now, but he should be watched closely; the Nationals hit a pretty weak stretch in their schedule in a couple of weeks.

Looks like he is lining up for 2 home starts vs Cinci and Milwaukee next week.  Worth an add in a roto deep league?

Anyone seen him pitch?  What does his stuff look like?

I have always had an affinity for him, and it seems his stuff has largely (and finally) returned:

SI- the sinker sat 94 MPH and gets plenty of downward movement, he threw 51--33 strikes with 23 cuts and 9 whiffs

FA- actually appears to get even more vertical action than the sinker, threw 19--7 strikes with 7 swings and 2 whiffs, sat 94+ and topped at 96+

CU- big shape and solid sweep to it, like it at 81 MPH, spun up 14--11 strikes with 10 hacks and 3 whiffs

SL- fairly firm at 88 MPH with good actions/spin on it, threw 8--4 strikes with 3 swings and 1 whiff

CH- plenty of arm side fade, sits 87 MPH, tossed 7--4 strikes and 3 swings

Zone plots were pretty solid, as you'd expect with a sinker ball guy, he works the lower quadrant well, really stayed outta the heart too. I can identify at least 6 pitches right on the black that were strikes and called balls, so his command is pretty strong right now. Could do worse in deeper/points leagues if you have a free space.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Anyone rolling him out there tomorrow vs pirates?

ya i grabbed him in 1 league

Yup, picked him up off the waiver wire for a two start week, @Pirates and @Cubs. If he craps the bed tomorrow, I'd probably bench him for the second start.

Edited by OaksterDan
I did not lick Joe Ross
  • Haha 1

Is anyone concerned with his walk rate? He has a 4.18 bb/9 since his return to the rotation. 5 in one start back on August 2nd and 2 in each of his other 4 starts. K/9 is just 7.71 in that span too. His ERA looks great but is this just smoke and mirrors? SSS but in those 5 starts his xFIP is 4.60. 

Im just a little weary adding him, especially being in the payoffs already in my league. Not running to add either with the Cubs up next week.

9 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Did he get hurt tonight?

Apparently got hit in leg with a comebacker from Bell.  Was probably pulled as a precaution.  But he was cruising up 11-0!   I’m sure his owners needed that win.