Sign in to follow this  
Cesare13

Johnny Cueto 2019 Outlook

Absolutely buried and forgotten about, but was a low end sp1/ sp2 for about 7 years before the injury.  He’s 34, but has a big money contract and pitches in San Fran.  Targeted as a return in September, https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/10/giants-encouraged-by-johnny-cuetos-latest-rehab-start/ more of a 2020 guy, but could help anyone in a deep,deep league-playoff run.  Anything at all to see here from a keeper point of view?  Thinking this guy will be a worse Madison bumgarner sp3 type myself, but anyone out there with any insight thinking he can return to being anything close to an ace?

• Like 1

I have no insight, but I'd be shocked if he's keeper worthy in 2020, unless it's a pretty big keeper list. In my two keepers leagues, we keep 7 and 8. He wouldn't even be a consideration for any team in those leagues. We just won't see enough in September to make him worthy of hanging onto. Imho.

• Thanks 1

I'm stashing in preparation for the playoffs (starting week of Sept. 9th). Hoping he can be a solid SP3 type rest of season, although not the best schedule in mid September (v PIT, v. MIA, @ BOS, @ ATL, v. COL, v. LAD)

Back Tuesday and possible 2 start week.  Worth a pickup?  I know he threw 6 shutout in his last AAA start.  

Anyone know anything about his stuff?

Should be semi-finals this coming week for most leagues.

Would you really trust him?

• Like 1

2 start vs Pitt and Miami.

Wow I've been holding all year in Dynasty and was annoyed he'd lose IR status for the playoffs but now I might actually start him

• Thanks 1

He's 34 and was injured for a while but before that, he has always been very solid. The Pirates and the Marlins aren't the most dangerous offences to face. And I think the Pirates must have lost Starling Marte tonight. I would start Cueto although it's a bit risky.

With how bad mid level pitching is now, don't see much of a problem throwing him out his week. There's risk with everyone who isn't an obvious start.

• Like 3

Throwing him out there with the favorable matchup, and it being early in the week. Also his rehab numbers were pretty good (allowed only 1 BB in 21.1 IP) so that was very encouraging. Usually after TJ surgery, control is the last thing to come back. 

• Like 1

I'm on the fence about his first start back and first round of playoffs. PIT could give him some trouble but who knows, least it's a home start.

Marte might not play as he's been D2D last couple days. So I guess that's a big plus for Cueto if Starling isn't in the lineup.

Great return. Thought they’d let him pitch deeper though. Left at 69 pitches and I read his last rehab start he threw 75. Would have been nice to get a QS. 

It’s now showing he’s scheduled to start next Tuesday at the Red Sox. I was hoping to get that start vs Miami but since my leagues championship ends this Sunday, looks like this lone start is all I’ll get. 

30 minutes ago, Deke said:

Great return. Thought they’d let him pitch deeper though. Left at 69 pitches and I read his last rehab start he threw 75. Would have been nice to get a QS. 

It’s now showing he’s scheduled to start next Tuesday at the Red Sox. I was hoping to get that start vs Miami but since my leagues championship ends this Sunday, looks like this lone start is all I’ll get. 

Rotoworld blurb says Tuesday at Boston, but Yahoo still has the green checkmark next to his name on Sunday vs Miami.  

6 minutes ago, StarlinCastro said:

Rotoworld blurb says Tuesday at Boston, but Yahoo still has the green checkmark next to his name on Sunday vs Miami.  

This confused me as well, so we don't really know for sure as of now? 

It's the Red Sox next week because we are in front of a six-man rotation with Logan Webb maintained in the rotation. Long story short, Cueto was planned to start yesterday and Sunday vs the Marlins, but the six-man rotation changed the situation. He's a drop candidate right now in my opinion. I wouldn't start him against the Red Sox next week at Boston, nor I think it's valuable to keep him on the roster for the next outing again one week later against the Rockies.

6 hours ago, professorbaseball said:

Starting tomorrow against Miami at home. Also said to be limited to 70 pitches again... stream him?

I would, unless you're looking for > 5 ip

If the Giants are able to make Cueto a two start week for his comeback into business while this guy is 34 and hadn't played for almost a year due to a severe injury, I believe the Giants are confident a lot about Cueto's health and his ability to pitch deep. Or they just want to use him as much as possible because of his contract.

I would stream him for sure against the Marlins. For me the only risk is that he could get injured again during his outing tomorrow, otherwise Cueto has always been an above average pitcher if no more. The Marlins aren't the Red Sox. Much less issue to end up bad tomorrow. I would stream him although he won't pitch more than 5 IP.