wendellrott

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

I took him second to last pick in 8th round in long term keeper league of 10 teams in an email draft that takes about 24 hours for 2 rounds.  I was concerned the next guy, with two back to back round picks might sit on his pick for the preseason games tonight. Since this game will confirm the season start depth chart, I grabbed Thompson before his picks in case tonight's game indicates there is a real chance Thompson could start. 

Edited by nine9s

2 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

We have an elusiveness rating now and Darwin is on the tops. 

impressive. my only question is why he fell to the 6th round...anyone have insight into this? 

8 minutes ago, pjbyrne707 said:

impressive. my only question is why he fell to the 6th round...anyone have insight into this? 

He did not dominate in college against lesser quality opponents as you think an NFL prospect would.  Unless it was coaching miss-use, that is a real question. I doubt he would fit many NFL schemes as more than a late round depth target - he would probably be of no interest to teams really wanting to run the ball as a focus.

Edited by nine9s

This is interesting.  He is at 190 pounds per his press conference ~4 weeks ago. He said he played over 200 pounds in college.  He said he has added muscle this season. If he has added muscle AND lost 10+ pounds, he probably lost 15 pounds of fat. In his college film, I saw a slow plodder with good balance. So perhaps now he is fast and quick after losing that much fat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Odam said:

You drafting a boyfriend or a running back brah?? 😧

I picked up Darwin in the 14th round.  If he turns out to be a stud...its like picking the ugly duckling to go to the prom with, she takes her glasses off, puts on some make up, and she is a smokeshow.  

So...to answer you question...boooth!?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ArtistPain said:

So basically if we combined saquons thighs and Darwin’s neck we’d get a damn tyrannosaur 

No we’d get a bunch of barefoot and pregnant rotoworld fantasy champions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ArtistPain said:
3 hours ago, ArtistPain said:

So basically if we combined saquons thighs and Darwin’s neck we’d get a damn tyrannosaur 

yeah and then we need some real little arms like Keelan Coles

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am stupid getting caught into the hype.  I wasted a late 8th round pick on Thompson and keep Ertz in a 3 keeper league over Damien Williams.  Now Williams will be a top 5 in that offense. 

By the way, Thompson would have been caught from behind on Damien Williams 62 yard TD catch and run. 

Edited by nine9s

16 minutes ago, nine9s said:

I am stupid getting caught into the hype.  I wasted a late 8th round pick on Thompson and keep Ertz in a 3 keeper league over Damien Williams.  Now Williams will be a top 5 in that offense. 

By the way, Thompson would have been caught from behind on Damien Williams 62 yard TD catch and run. 

wow he's going 8th round now? I thought I reached in the 12th 1 week ago. It might still workout don't worry tho

EDIT: Darwin is in but he needs some work. Good reception but that other checkdown where Darwin didnt realize is out of bounds is a rookie mistake. Plus that 3rd down scramble, Darwin didnt really try to get open for Mahomes to throw to him. Needs to work on that but glad to see him get some work with the first team. 

Edited by Itachi_is_the_goat

10 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

wow he's going 8th round now? I thought I reached in the 12th 1 week ago. It might still workout don't worry tho

Its a keeper league with an email draft, so my near end of round picks would not come back before tonight's game, so I grabbed Thompson in case he did most of the work with 1s tonight. Also,  I am in a dynasty league with some of the same people and have Damien Williams on that team.  So I drafted Thompson on the keeper team as a hedge against that other dynasty team. So not really a straight pick up him - situational. 

I suspect after tonight's game, he will be mostly undrafted. 

Edited by nine9s

34 minutes ago, nine9s said:

Lol Thompson ran a comparable 40 time to what Williams ran 5 years ago. 

Pretty safe to say that any any NFL player is going to be slower than their combine stats 5 years into a career. Not a chance that Thompson gets caught from behind if Williams doesn't. 

That being said, Thompson is $1 player who is an injury away from being a league winner. The insecurity of Williams owners is hilarious. 

You paid a ton of $$$$ or drafted him high In snake for a reason haha. 

• Like 1

They've talked up Darwin on multiple occasions during this game. The hype is real 

• Like 1

I really dont think anyone thinks Darwin is going to supplant a healthy William's. You pick Darwin because the is next man up in a very RB friendly offense. Year after year since Reids gotten there who ever is starting in that offense at RB has had success and it seems they like what they have in Darwin

12 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

You pick Darwin because the is next man up in a very RB friendly offense. 

There is no way to know that.  Darrell Williams could be the next in line. 

Edited by nine9s
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nine9s said:

There is no way to know that.  I think Darrell Williams might be the next in line. 

He might well be. My post was saying if you do draft Darwin that's why you're doing it

22 hours ago, nine9s said:

I wouldn't say necessarily next in line, but a possible fill in if anything were to happen to Damien. I think you have to be patient with Darwin. He could potentially be almost nothing this year- but the keeper of the season next year. 

4 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

How early has anyone seen this guy go in redraft/keeper leagues the last few days?

He went in the 10th round and I was targeting him around the 13th after i took D Williams. I'm not that mad about being sniped because it seemed like a vast over pay for a 6th round pick scat back who will not get the majority of touches if something happens to the RB1. I think if the other D Williams makes it out of camp he will get as much run as Thompson in a time share. 

22 hours ago, nine9s said:

This is Darrel Williams in a goal line package last year in playoffs. I would be hard pressed to think that he's not at least in a time share with Thompson and goal line back if anything happens to RB1.

1 hour ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

I wouldn't say necessarily next in line, but a possible fill in if anything were to happen to Damien. I think you have to be patient with Darwin. He could potentially be almost nothing this year- but the keeper of the season next year. 

Possibly but if he did not much this season, with a supposedly very deep running back draft, a top team like the Chiefs would likely draft one. 

1 hour ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

How early has anyone seen this guy go in redraft/keeper leagues the last few days?

He went in the middle of the 8th round in my 14 team league last night.   Decent size buy in with a few sharps in the league.