wendellrott

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

36 minutes ago, The Cam's Pyjamas said:

Damien Harris and Dare Ogunbowale sitting on waivers in my league. Getting an itchy trigger finger wanting to drop Darwin for one of them....

Harris maybe, I wouldn’t bother with Dare. But honestly, I’d probably keep Darwin over both. 

I think people are jumping the gun way too quickly and dropping Darwin. Nothing major has happened: Darwin was never taking the RB1 position away from Damien in the beginning. Darwin is a long term hold for the best offense in football. There is a reason mccoy only got a one year deal- Reid doesn’t see long term value in him. The second reason is Reid is not sold on Damien being a bellcow clearly.m- however he is not going to let a rookie step in a week or two before the season and take on that role.

I will not be surprised if Darwin becomes a huge asset for the team by the end of the season; however if you are not in a dynasty nor keeper league, you were only drafting Darwin as a simple handcuff- which he still is because he will get the split if one of the two in front of him gets injured. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Darwin was never taking the RB1 position away from Damien in the beginning.

Maybe, but my reason for throwing a dart at him was that maybe if there would be an injury to DW (which there was), Thompson could move up a couple places in the pecking order and gain the trust of the Walrus. Now that Williams is back and Shady is in, I think he has a lot of bodies in front of him, and his potential diminished a lot to me. Drop city.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

I think people are jumping the gun way too quickly and dropping Darwin. Nothing major has happened: Darwin was never taking the RB1 position away from Damien in the beginning. Darwin is a long term hold for the best offense in football. There is a reason mccoy only got a one year deal- Reid doesn’t see long term value in him. The second reason is Reid is not sold on Damien being a bellcow clearly.m- however he is not going to let a rookie step in a week or two before the season and take on that role.

I will not be surprised if Darwin becomes a huge asset for the team by the end of the season; however if you are not in a dynasty nor keeper league, you were only drafting Darwin as a simple handcuff- which he still is because he will get the split if one of the two in front of him gets 

Dropped him for Justice Hill. It was the right move.

In order for Thompson to see weekly starter fantasy value, both DT and Shady need to falter/get injured. Otherwise he will split work with the remaining back, and it would be difficult to start him reliably in even this KC offense, at best a flex play.

This is entirely possible, but not likely; it might be 4-6 weeks in before this happens. If you really have space on your bench to take on that dead weight, he would be worth the stash.

Otherwise, it might make more sense to drop him for better bench options for free on the waiver. And if he does pan out later in the season then you would be in a better position FAAB wise anyway due to making smart moves early in the season.

Edited by potatoetree

A lot of definitive statements about pecking order in KC are being made here.  I still think this will be an early season audition to see which RB fits the offense best and is the most productive.  Dam Williams will get the first shot at it, but I see both McCoy and Thompson getting opportunities - with deference to McCoy due to his vet status.  After that it’s a may-the-best-man-win scenario with the returning vet vs the aged former stud add vs the drafted new blood.  And it may shake to all 3 guys getting work all season with a hot-hand game to game variance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Maybe, but my reason for throwing a dart at him was that maybe if there would be an injury to DW (which there was), Thompson could move up a couple places in the pecking order and gain the trust of the Walrus. Now that Williams is back and Shady is in, I think he has a lot of bodies in front of him, and his potential diminished a lot to me. Drop city.

Depends on your league. 

If you have any keepers in your league, he's a hold imo. Who knows if Williams lasts without getting hurt, if he'll even be there next year, or if shady is still good.

Shady old, prone to injury, and will be declining even if he's healthy

This guy is definitely droppable now right? I didn't watch the game, but 1 catch and no carries. Looks like it's gonna be Shady and Damien unless an injury happens.

Just now, Curlis said:

This guy is definitely droppable now right? I didn't watch the game, but 1 catch and no carries. Looks like it's gonna be Shady and Damien unless an injury happens.

Yeah, he's droppable, but he's still a solid handcuff/lottery ticket type.

1 minute ago, Curlis said:

I don't know.  I am pondering his value to my roster.  I have a lot of slack right now that I need to find a legit player to tighten it up.  Nyheim Hines, Mattison, and this cat is not a good feeling.  Lamar Miller injury really hurt me.  

2 hours ago, Curlis said:

Yep droppable. Not involved at all and will require an injury to have value at all

3 hours ago, Singing in Dwayne said:

Yeah, he's droppable, but he's still a solid handcuff/lottery ticket type.

Are you kidding?

Look, guys. If you somehow didn't drop this dude when the team added Shady, do it now. He has absolutely no value.

3 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Are you kidding?

Look, guys. If you somehow didn't drop this dude when the team added Shady, do it now. He has absolutely no value.

Eh it all depends on depth of league.  10 teams?  No.  12 teams short bench? No. 

But beyond that I would say yes.  Sorry but if you think an explosive Rookie on a generational offense with only a Journeyman and a declining 31 year old to leap frog has 'no value' - I don't know what to tell you.

An injury to either player and he becomes relevant.  And if we're being honest, Damien or LeSean would not be the hardest guys in the world to leapfrog.  Plus this isn't some bum we are talking about.

Player Talent + Situation + Path to that Situation puts him as a great stash in deeper leagues.  I'd like to see who you would stash over him in 14 teamers or deep bench 12 teamers.  I find it hard to believe you have higher upside stashes in those depth leagues.

You sound like you would have been telling people to Drop Kamara because he was 'behind' Ingram and AP on the depth chart in 2017. 

Edited by mmm sod
  • Thanks 1

From reading these forums I now realize that there are about 6 Alvin Kamara clones that got taken in the NFL draft this season. Pretty impressive. 

• Haha 1

I dont want to have to drop him because at some point in the season McCoy or Williams will miss a game or two and possibly lose their role. Its inevitable but impossible to predict when. Unfortunately though hes got to go. 

RIP Darwin Thompson hype train - hopefully we can rev the engine again in November/December time frame. 

Reid can finally feature the back he wanted all along....Shady McCoy

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Reid can finally feature the back he wanted all along....Shady McCoy

Shady with an ankle injury...

Mark my words - D. williams will be a league winner

Darrell Williams that is!

On 9/5/2019 at 8:36 AM, potatoetree said:

In order for Thompson to see weekly starter fantasy value, both DT and Shady need to falter/get injured. Otherwise he will split work with the remaining back, and it would be difficult to start him reliably in even this KC offense, at best a flex play.

This is entirely possible, but not likely; it might be 4-6 weeks in before this happens. If you really have space on your bench to take on that dead weight, he would be worth the stash.

Otherwise, it might make more sense to drop him for better bench options for free on the waiver. And if he does pan out later in the season then you would be in a better position FAAB wise anyway due to making smart moves early in the season.

So is it time now to empty the bank?