wendellrott

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Spuds said:

I hope this doesn’t turn into a repeat of the Robert Turbin 2015 thread. 

Christine Michael >>>>>>>> Robert Turbin Hype Train

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

I want to get more excited.  I think the only way I’ll get off the edge of my seat is if I wake up Sunday morning and see “Damien Williams and LeSean McCoy are officially inactive for week 3”. I can see so many ways this flops.  McCoy could get all the carries.  Williams can somehow end up playing.  Darrell Williams gets the bulk of the snaps.  The path just does t seem as clear for Darwin.  

Have you ever heard of the powerball lottery ticket? 

Psa: if you don't buy them, you can't win them... No one here knows a jack s--- about what's going on... We just love a good hype and gets a stiff from a simple lotto ticket

8 minutes ago, Szer0 said:

Have you ever heard of the powerball lottery ticket? 

Psa: if you don't buy them, you can't win them... No one here knows a jack s--- about what's going on... We just love a good hype and gets a stiff from a simple lotto ticket

Oh believe me I understand.  I am just being pessimistic which unfortunately is my approach to a lot of things I’m skeptical about.    

Definite add, which he should have been during any 12+ team PPR draft (let alone in-season waivers), but wait and see. Personally, I wouldn't want to start him this week unless I was forced, even IF Damien is inactive...it is the Baltimore DST after all, and who really knows how the snaps/carries/receptions will play out.

Edited by FollowTheLeader

I guess what I’m pondering and obviously none of us know, but let me play devil’s advocate and say that best case scenario Williams and McCoy are both out and Darwin gets bulk of carries/snaps.  Unless he explodes against Baltimore, (unlikely given their stingy run defense) who’s to say Damien and/or McCoy doesn’t retain their respective roles in week 4?

1 hour ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

im not so convinced that the Ravens D we saw last year is the same this year. They likely took a step down. Consider that they have played the Dolphins and Cardinals.

On top of that they have several big departures on D including;

S Eric Weddle (Signed E Thomas, so upgrade here)
OLB Terrell Suggs
OLB Zadarius Smith (wrecking OLs for the Packers now)
ILB CJ Mosley (one of the top inside linebackers in the league)
Slot CB Tavon Young (neck injury, likely out for season)

(Linebackers tend to cover RB's on routes, much weaker linebacking core this season)

Ravens D could easily be exposed next week by Mahomes & Co. IMO

Right, and the Ravens didn't exactly dominate the cardinals as many expected. At home vs that league bottom o line. Cardinals didn't score many points because they attempted field goals in the red zone rather than going for it. Cardinals were able to move the ball on them and rip off some long passes. Ravens secondary is banged up like you said.

Darwin Thompson's position is running back but obviously you don't just look at the opposition and say "ok the ravens are really good at limiting rushing yards" that not his game...

36 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

I guess what I’m pondering and obviously none of us know, but let me play devil’s advocate and say that best case scenario Williams and McCoy are both out and Darwin gets bulk of carries/snaps.  Unless he explodes against Baltimore, (unlikely given their stingy run defense) who’s to say Damien and/or McCoy doesn’t retain their respective roles in week 4?

This is the conundrum. This is what likely happens if they are both injured. If you need help at RB, this is your chance to play him. If you don't, you likely sit him with a "wait and see approach".

Thompson plays. He flashes, has a decent game. Most people don't play him on uncertainty but the hype train ramps up even bigger (somehow). By Friday of next week Shady and DWill are both practicing in full and the train comes to a screeching halt. 

I think at some point this season, it's likely that one of these two RBs goes down. Thompson is a handcuff but behind two guys already banged up by week 3 which bodes well. I like him. I'm a Chiefs fan. I have him on my fantasy team and no other Chiefs RB. But I feel like this is what we're in for. 

This backfield is going to be tough to predict week to week and a guy like Thompson could emerge out of nowhere with injuries or it could be a super RBBC with a lot of disappointment in the guessing game of who hits this week. 

I'm holding just incase, but the hype train should be pumped unless we see that 1. these injuries are lingering and Thompson's snaps increase or 2. one of Shady/DWill goes down for the season for good. Both are possible, I'd say one is even likely, but right now he's an upside stash in my eyes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

im not so convinced that the Ravens D we saw last year is the same this year. They likely took a step down. Consider that they have played the Dolphins and Cardinals.

On top of that they have several big departures on D including;

S Eric Weddle (Signed E Thomas, so upgrade here)
OLB Terrell Suggs
OLB Zadarius Smith (wrecking OLs for the Packers now)
ILB CJ Mosley (one of the top inside linebackers in the league)
Slot CB Tavon Young (neck injury, likely out for season)

(Linebackers tend to cover RB's on routes, much weaker linebacking core this season)

Ravens D could easily be exposed next week by Mahomes & Co. IMO

Sure, but the Ravens D getting exposed isn't my point.

It's the scheme they use, and used relatively successfully last year, and how that factors into Darwin's potential for opportunity here.

He's had one touch this year, and the coach's response to being asked if he'd have a bigger role (in light of injuries to 2 RBs ahead of him) was to bring up his discomfort with Darwin's pass protection responsibilities.  The Ravens frequently employ "fire zone" schemes that blitz using various, disguised rushers.

It doesn't really matter to me if yall play him or not.  I was just bringing a factor to the board's attention that is likely to play a role in whether or not this is a good week to do so

3 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

It's the scheme they use, and used relatively successfully last year, and how that factors into Darwin's potential for opportunity here.

He's had one touch this year, and the coach's response to being asked if he'd have a bigger role (in light of injuries to 2 RBs ahead of him) was to bring up his discomfort with Darwin's pass protection responsibilities.  The Ravens frequently employ "fire zone" schemes that blitz using various, disguised rushers.

It doesn't really matter to me if yall play him or not.  I was just bringing a factor to the board's attention that is likely to play a role in whether or not this is a good week to do so

1. Darwin has had 2 touches this year.

2. You are likely purposely mis-characterizing what Reid said. Again- heres the quote, 

"Coach Andy Reid said he wants to make sure Thompson knows his assignments as a pass blocker before he gets a lot of playing time. “As long as I feel like he knows what he’s doing, I’m good with it,’’ Reid said. “He’ll stick it up in there and hit you. It’s just a matter of seeing it. He’s young so he hasn’t seen everything there is to see. He’s getting there. I feel comfortable with him in there.’’

3. Im not playing Darwin this week- I also have McCoy. Darwin remains undeniably a top upside RB stash. Especially as Damien continues to disappoint. 

4. If Damien is out again today, lets see the sound bites today after practice. 

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone rational is looking forward to starting Darwin this week. It’s the possibility of him showing well and establishing a role that can develop over the next few weeks.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, kidsgotsoul said:

I don’t think anyone rational is looking forward to starting Darwin this week. It’s the possibility of him showing well and establishing a role that can develop over the next few weeks.

This.  I'm an owner who is excited about the prospect of holding a lottery ticket.  Although,  I cant start him this week.

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Williams - DNP

Shady - practicing

I'd have to see Shady out because Reid could pull a fast one and use Darrel Williams.

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

I'd have to see Shady out because Reid could pull a fast one and use Darrel Williams.

agreed ... Shady looks like a 90% chance to suit up, imo

2 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Why Darwin Thompson was never going to be a thing

by Sean McClure, September 4, 2019

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/darwin-thompson-fantasy-football-advanced-stats-metrics-analytics-profile/

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Why Darwin Thompson was never going to be a thing

by Sean McClure, September 4, 2019

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/darwin-thompson-fantasy-football-advanced-stats-metrics-analytics-profile/

Sure but Damien Williams was never going to be a thing until he was part of the Chiefs offense.

• Like 2

Q: Are you comfortable with where Darrel Williams is in the pass protection aspect of the RB responsibility?

REID: “He’s sharp. He is a very intelligent kid. We’re not worried about him. I look at him like he’s a starter. Played last year for us. If he has to get in and play, that’s not a problem at all.”

Q: Does your level of comfort change if Darwin Thompson is the RB that has to go in and fill a role on offense?

REID: “Not really. As long as I feel like he knows what he’s doing, I’m good with it.”

Q: Is there a challenge that Thompson faces size-wise? Does he have to maybe be more technically sound?

REID: “I was around Brian Westbrook for a number of years and they’re the same size. Brian would come up and fill in as well as anybody. This kid is wired like that. He’ll stick it up in there and hit you. It’s just a matter of seeing it. He’s young, so he hasn’t seen everything that there is to see. But he’s getting there. I feel comfortable with him in there.”

Chiefs talk injuries, Ravens, and backups during presser

https://salinapost.com/2019/09/19/chiefs-talk-injuries-ravens-and-backups-during-presser/

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1

we still got a powder keg of a dynamo on our hands ... Shady may be limited, or pull up during the game ... who knows 🤷‍♂️

what we DO know is that DWilly is gonna be out, so our man here is gonna get his shot to dazzle, that's all we can ask for - if he lives up to the hype, we golden!

as far as starting him as flex option, im'ma let him marinate this week, see how this shakes out. 

LET'S GO!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Q: Are you comfortable with where Darrel Williams is in the pass protection aspect of the RB responsibility?

REID: “He’s sharp. He is a very intelligent kid. We’re not worried about him. I look at him like he’s a starter. Played last year for us. If he has to get in and play, that’s not a problem at all.”

Q: Does your level of comfort change if Darwin Thompson is the RB that has to go in and fill a role on offense?

REID: “Not really. As long as I feel like he knows what he’s doing, I’m good with it.”

Q: Is there a challenge that Thompson faces size-wise? Does he have to maybe be more technically sound?

REID: “I was around Brian Westbrook for a number of years and they’re the same size. Brian would come up and fill in as well as anybody. This kid is wired like that. He’ll stick it up in there and hit you. It’s just a matter of seeing it. He’s young, so he hasn’t seen everything that there is to see. But he’s getting there. I feel comfortable with him in there.”

Chiefs talk injuries, Ravens, and backups during presser

https://salinapost.com/2019/09/19/chiefs-talk-injuries-ravens-and-backups-during-presser/

Reading between the lines makes me thing Darrel is next if Mccoy and D.WIll goes down. Although Darwin seems like the more talented back. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid Darwin owners(including myself) are going to be very frustrated with the amount of time the other Williams is on the field this weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I'm afraid Darwin owners(including myself) are going to be very frustrated with the amount of time the other Williams is on the field this weekend.

At least we get clarity where Darwin stands on the depth chart. With Damien OUT, if it is all Shady and Darrell Williams we can drop Darwin and move on.