wendellrott

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

I think he got his chance to shine and played well. I could see him playing over McCoy and Darrell Williams going forward, even if Darrell isn't out this week. I think Damien probably remains the back they trust the most if he is healthy though.

How is he not considered the hottest waiver pickup this week? It's evident Damien can't stay healthy and coaches want to limit Shady. Get on the hype train fellas this kid by week 15 might be the lead back. Coaches have been raving more and more last few weeks about Darwin.

27 minutes ago, dynst1988 said:

How is he not considered the hottest waiver pickup this week? It's evident Damien can't stay healthy and coaches want to limit Shady. Get on the hype train fellas this kid by week 15 might be the lead back. Coaches have been raving more and more last few weeks about Darwin.

I doubt it. Andy Reid is controlling the rb rotation and he calls certain packages/plays for specific rb's that he thinks gives him the highest success rate. He is committed to his rotation and probably even moreso if Damien is out for several weeks. 

Don't be surprised to see Elijah in the rotation in week 15 if Darrel and damien are out.

Darwin is today what he was in preseason, a pure lottery ticket that is free but you won't have enough games to trust him in your lineup and cash it in

• Like 5

I don't think he looks electric, but he looks elusive, cuts sharply. You can see he doesn't have that explosive burst but certainly a slippery type of runner.

I reckon he's a situational, complimentary piece. I can't see him being a lead back, but you never know. With everyone else beat up there's certainly worse pickups for next week.

Adam Teicher

@adamteicher - 14 mins

Andy Reid on rookie RB Darwin Thompson, who got his first extended playing time against the Raiders on Sunday: ” The more he carries it and gets a feel for things I think the better he’ll be . . . I thought it was important he was in with the No. 1 line"

• Like 1

From running out of bounds when trying to burn clock in the Ravens game and being buried behind 3 starters on the depth chart to now potentially splitting duties with McCoy. The journey was longwinded but finally perhaps worth it?

[...] I own McCoy and was wondering if they were limiting him because they were up by so much and just giving Darwin some time. However, they did have their other starters in, but could Darwin be the Damien Williams from 2018?

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

33 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

[...] I own McCoy and was wondering if they were limiting him because they were up by so much and just giving Darwin some time. However, they did have their other starters in, but could Darwin be the Damien Williams from 2018?

I was watching the game and Darwin was definitely getting garbage time.

I own McCoy as well. Reid was quoted earlier that McCoy needs to be managed. 

Honestly not sure anyone in this backfield is worth it. I'm equally considering picking up Darwin and also dropping McCoy. 

51 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

He definitely won't be the Damien of 2018. We need Darrel and Damien out the next few weeks for him to even be an RB2. That said, I think it's very possible both are out this week which would definitely make Darwin worth an add. Sucks they're playing the Pats. 

Granted it was garbage time, but he immediately took Darrel's role, and even took it for a part of a drive before Darrel got hurt if memory serves. The McCoy load management is garbage. He will NEVER get 20+ touches in this offense so if there are only two healthy RBs the other will always have essentially equal value to McCoy. 

22 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

The McCoy load management is garbage. He will NEVER get 20+ touches in this offense so if there are only two healthy RBs the other will always have essentially equal value to McCoy. 

I wonder how much Reid will stick to his load management plan with Shady when they find themselves in close games. For example, next week against New England in a very important game, if it's close does Reid keep Shady off the field to limit his reps? It's easier said than done when the game isn't on the line like we saw this past week against Oakland. In a pivotal matchup this week against the Pats, I'd be surprised to see Darwin get equal touches to McCoy if both Damien and Darrell are out.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, GoPackGo23 said:

I wonder how much Reid will stick to his load management plan with Shady when they find themselves in close games. For example, next week against New England in a very important game, if it's close does Reid keep Shady off the field to limit his reps? It's easier said than done when the game isn't on the line like we saw this past week against Oakland. In a pivotal matchup this week against the Pats, I'd be surprised to see Darwin get equal touches to McCoy if both Damien and Darrell are out.

McCoy has gotten 15 touches in a game this year ZERO times. They've won 4 by a touchdown or less, and lost 3 by a touchdown or less. These are all games where a team is gonna use their best back because the situation dictates it, yet McCoy still has not topped 14 touches. It quite simply ain't happening.

If the Williams' are out I'd value Darwin more than McCoy for the same reason I valued Darrel over McCoy. McCoy will play the same role, and by what we saw yesterday Darwin will play Darrel's.  

Don’t think he’s that good. Looks like a child out there. Also we have no idea if Damien will be back. 

Wasn't the knock on McCoy in the pass protection aspect of the offense? Hard to imagine Darwin being any better with that small frame. If anything, this is the most confidence I've had in McCoy all year. Assuming both Williams out, I would think McCoy is the next best pass blocker out there. Matchup sucks sure, but McCoy has had to share the backfield with either Williams all year. I think his usage gets a slight bump to about 15-16 touches and Darwin gets about 8-10 next game. Both backs have a good shot at a td.

Edited by WaiverLooter

Just fyi about NE when they have played KC they have straight up doubled Hill, and bracketed Kelce with a LB/S combo as often as possible. Watkins and D Williams went off last year against them under these circumstances. This isn’t to say D Thompson is a good play but I wouldn’t say the fact he is facing NE specifically makes him a bad one. McCoy(more likely) or him could easily find 15+ touches and at least 1 score with 3-4 defenders glued to the 2 studs all game

3 minutes ago, LostAtSea said:

Just fyi about NE when they have played KC they have straight up doubled Hill, and bracketed Kelce with a LB/S combo as often as possible. Watkins and D Williams went off last year against them under these circumstances. This isn’t to say D Thompson is a good play but I wouldn’t say the fact he is facing NE specifically makes him a bad one. McCoy(more likely) or him could easily find 15+ touches and at least 1 score with 3-4 defenders glued to the 2 studs all game

Hill 12/142/3 last year vs NE my dude 

6 hours ago, dynst1988 said:

He will be..

15 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Hill 12/142/3 last year vs NE my dude 

In playoffs vs KC when they successfully employed this strategy based on Hill’s previous success against them:

Hill 1 Rec 42 yards

Kelce 3 Rec 23 yards 1 TD

Watkins 4 Rec 114 yards

D Williams 10 carries, 5 Rec, 96 yards, 3 TDs

After the game Belichick literally explained after messing up their gameplans earlier in season they decided the best way to play KC was double Hill and bracket Kelce. So I am going to go with 1) reality and statistics and 2) the horse’s mouth.

I personally believe he only got run because it was a blowout and they didn't want McCoy getting hurt when Darrel and Damien were already hurt as well.  He got all 11 carries when they were up 31-3 and then he got the td that drive as well.  They ran it 11 out of 14 plays that drive to put them up 38-3.  Last drive was a Matt Moore knee to end the game so the drive he got all the carries was their last drive of the game when it didn't mean anything.  I think sites calling him the pickup of the week is crazy and I think anyone who plays him in the playoffs is even crazier...  Gl though y'all whatever you do...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WaiverWireGuru said:

I personally believe he only got run because it was a blowout and they didn't want McCoy getting hurt when Darrel and Damien were already hurt as well.  He got all 11 carries when they were up 31-3 and then he got the td that drive as well.  They ran it 11 out of 14 plays that drive to put them up 38-3.  Last drive was a Matt Moore knee to end the game so the drive he got all the carries was their last drive of the game when it didn't mean anything.  I think sites calling him the pickup of the week is crazy and I think anyone who plays him in the playoffs is even crazier...  Gl though y'all whatever you do...

Mccoys usage is going to stay the same so unless Damien comes back this week he will play a lot of snaps. 

1 hour ago, Deke said:

Don’t think he’s that good. Looks like a child out there. Also we have no idea if Damien will be back. 

lol

well, so does Tyrik and Tyreek 😂

5 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

im'ma leave this here ...

🤔

why does that emoji look like Cartman when he did the special olympics