wendellrott

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, Panthor said:

reminds me of all the hype surrounding Carson a few years ago, coming out of virtually no where in a crowded backfield, lots of positive news coming out and before you know it he is the primary RB

It reminds me of this exactly also. Only took a week for Carson back then.

Posted (edited)

The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports Chiefs sixth-round RB Darwin Thompson "appears to have leaped" Carlos Hyde on the depth chart.

Thompson has reportedly worked ahead of Hyde at camp this week, splitting first-team reps with Damien Williams. It's further affirmation to how the Chiefs view Thompson heading into the year as coach Andy Reid recently noted the sixth-round rookie has "good vision in the run game" and a "pretty good understanding of the pass game", too. With 9/52 rushing and 1/29/1 receiving on limited usage this preseason, it would not be shocking to see Thompson start the year ahead of Williams in a third-down, change-of-pace role, reducing Williams' ceiling as fantasy's current RB13. Thompson has standalone value at the back of fantasy drafts even if he initially receives low volume out the gates. This news also makes Hyde a candidate for release once final cuts occur.

Edited by gbill2004
  • Like 1

DT getting tons of hype and moving up draft boards. We might see Hyde cut, then it would be more cut and dry.

3 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Took him in the 10th. Have to reach when you play with sharks. Do yourself a favor and draft him before Hyde gets cut. It's more a matter of when he gets cut. ADP gonna go to Henderson range then

Let's do this boys!

I got the last pick (12th) in the first round in Dynasty.  A few picks away and I have set my eyes on him.  I'm thin at RB with Guice/Penny/Gurley on my roster.  Is worth drafting him or packaging the pick for a first for next year. I'm hearing it's a much loader draft class

What's the odds of DT taking over William's spot if Williams is a stud and performs well?

1 minute ago, oresteszero said:

What's the odds of DT taking over William's spot if Williams is a stud and performs well?

Damien is a career backup so I'd say the odds are pretty good. Andy Reid will go with the guy who gives him the best chance to win games. 

• Like 4

Just now, gbill2004 said:

Damien is a career backup so I'd say the odds are pretty good. Andy Reid will go with the guy who gives him the best chance to win games. 

I understand he's a "career backup", but if Damien is producing, do you think he'd be pulled?

6 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

32.3% repeating of course - seriously though, how does someone answer this?    

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

I understand he's a "career backup", but if Damien is producing, do you think he'd be pulled?

Current situation: Breather back 6-8 touches for Damien.

Best case: 15-18 touches for Darwin, Damien being breather back.

This guy won't be getting 20-25 touches. But 15-18 touches is definitely league winner IMO. Aaron Jones level work. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

If he's performing well, I would say pretty low.  

But an injury to Damien, and it's wheels up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JSA2422 said:

32.3% repeating of course - seriously though, how does someone answer this?    

Exactly, how do you answer it? I'm getting the vibe here that people think he's gonna just replace Damien no matter what.

33 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

I think the bigger fear is that Damien is fine, but Thompson is explosive. Damien doesn't have to lose the job, Darwin could just plain win it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Not good?

Williams was very good late last year, but its also really his first taste of sustained NFL success in his 5th year in the league. Maybe he'll be really good again, but I'm just not comfortable taking Williams at his ADP when last year could very easily prove to be a fluke.

I could see a committee situation here.

If Hyde is out he will get enough touches to show something. Damien is another Spencer ware imo. And hamstrings recur all the time.

If I have to continue to relate wife situation to the MicroTron situation....we might not see the path to glory until about midseason....for crying out loud its getting late where the hell is this skirt!? 

• Haha 1

It wouldn't surprise me if DT takes over Williams starting role.  

Williams better not get hurt anytime soon IF he wants to keep his starting gig...

Let's see how Williams reacts to Sparks McRhino on his tail. The warm blanket of old man Hyde must have been pretty comfortable.

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time a Chiefs RB outright took over the starting job without an injury. There is very little chance Darwin gets anything more than 8 touches a game unless Damien Williams gets hurt. 

And I'm a Darwin owner and I don't have Damien. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This could easily turn into what Reid had going with the 2003 Eagles when Staley, Westbrook, and Buckhalter all shared workload and starts all season long.  It took until the following year until Westbrook (who was also a small school RB whose consensus was that he was too small to get serious workload) took over.

Reid tends to be a bit conservative with rookies at times.  Hunt got his workload reduced well into the season.  After a couple of losses they started feeding him the ball a ton and he took off.

ETA - Westbrook posted 154 touches with 37 being receptions, 945 total yds, and 11 TDs in 2003 in case you were wondering.  He started weeks 3, 5, 6, 8, 11, 13 and 15. It was a bonafide RBBC that year.

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 2