ludawg23

Late 1st round pick strategy

Want to get a discussion going on draft strategy for an end of round pick.  Picks 9-12

WR-WR seems to be viable, especially in PPR leagues where you can go with a zero RB strategy.

Or, you can go with an elite WR and then have your pick out of Gurley/Mixon/Chubb/Conner/Cook but these guys all have question marks so maybe it's better to double up at WR so you can gain an advantage at that position.

3 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Want to get a discussion going on draft strategy for an end of round pick.  Picks 9-12

WR-WR seems to be viable, especially in PPR leagues where you can go with a zero RB strategy.

Or, you can go with an elite WR and then have your pick out of Gurley/Mixon/Chubb/Conner/Cook but these guys all have question marks so maybe it's better to double up at WR so you can gain an advantage at that position.

In half ppr, my teams have always looked best taking Julio and then someone like Chubb or cook at the 1.9/2.4 spots.

If Julio isn’t there, usually take bell or Conner and then take someone like juju at 2.4. WR WR isn’t great at 1.9

• Like 1

I'm in the process of writing down different teams I could draft from the 11th spot. Actually thinking about grabbing Kelce top of the 2nd and have my eyes on Chubb, Juju, or Hill at 11

The other alternative is to go Kelce and RB or elite WR in the 1/2, then in the 3/4 turn grab the highest ranked RB or WR guy in the position you didn't take in the 1/2 turn.  You can wind up with a team like this (just mock drafted this via the FantasyPros mock draft simulator, chose 10th in a 12-team 0.5PPR mock league): 

QB:   Brees or Goff
RB1:  Conner
RB2:  Carson
WR1: Diggs
WR2: Woods
Flex1:  Ingram
Flex2:  White
TE:       Kelce

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think in 12 teamers, it's hard to take Kelce in that spot. I saw some pretty ugly teams in some mocks who took Kelce at or around the turn. I've always liked going WR-WR instead of going after the scraps at RB. Todd Gurley would be the only RB I would consider. On the next turn (rounds 3 and 4), I would remain totally flexible and go either RB-RB or WR-RB, TE-RB (if Ertz falls) depending on what's available.

There are some good options that will be available at RB at the turn at 3/4, so I would not be concerned if I went WR-WR at the 1/2 turn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

Mixon / TY is what I am trying to start with. 

TY? You should be able to get 1 of Tyreek/Odell/Thomas from picks 13-16 in the early 2nd round. You'd go TY over that group?

I was super high on Mixon and still do like him, but I think he's almost surely out of 1st round contention at this point. I like Cook and Chubb over him easily. If you went elite WR first then got Mixon in the early 2nd, that would be a pretty solid start,

8 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

I think in 12 teamers, it's hard to take Kelce in that spot. I saw some pretty ugly teams in some mocks who took Kelce at or around the turn. I've always liked going WR-WR instead of going after the scraps at RB. Todd Gurley would be the only RB I would consider. On the next turn (rounds 3 and 4), I would remain totally flexible and go either RB-RB or WR-RB, TE-RB (if Ertz falls) depending on what's available.

There are some good options that will be available at RB at the turn at 3/4, so I would not be concerned if I went WR-WR at the 1/2 turn.

The problem I"m seeing at the 11/12 turn now is that often all of the top WR are not there.   Often both Beckham and Thomas are both gone.  So it would be Hill for me I guess.  Agree that it's tough to take Kelce but I don't particularly like that group of RB at that point. 

I had the 9th pick Friday night in our 12 man standard(2 keeper) league,had planned on going WR/WR or Kelce if available,we have 8 owners that are KC homers so I ended up with Adams and Chubb.

Not a fan of the results of my team when going WR-TE so that is probably out of the question.

If I can grab MT or Julio at 11 and then one of OBJ/JuJu/Hill, I will probably go that route.  Can't pass up the opportunity to start a team with those WRs in a 3 WR/Flex league in PPR.

I have had some good results going WR and then Chubb as well then it will give you some flexibility in the 3rd/4th round.

13 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

TY? You should be able to get 1 of Tyreek/Odell/Thomas from picks 13-16 in the early 2nd round. You'd go TY over that group?

I was super high on Mixon and still do like him, but I think he's almost surely out of 1st round contention at this point. I like Cook and Chubb over him easily. If you went elite WR first then got Mixon in the early 2nd, that would be a pretty solid start,

I dont think you will get MT there in a PPR league. I would take him / Mixon. 

TY over those other clowns though, yes.

• Like 1

I’m 10th in a 10 team. Going juju first, after that I’m torn between Odell/Tyreek/Chubb/Cook. I think going WR/WR is the best move but it’s tough waiting on RB like that. So I’ve been juggling chubb and cook. 

5 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Not a fan of the results of my team when going WR-TE so that is probably out of the question.

If I can grab MT or Julio at 11 and then one of OBJ/JuJu/Hill, I will probably go that route.  Can't pass up the opportunity to start a team with those WRs in a 3 WR/Flex league in PPR.

I have had some good results going WR and then Chubb as well then it will give you some flexibility in the 3rd/4th round.

Personally not a fan of our 2 keeper rules(4th round or higher) as OBJ was kept(don't even ask :rolleyes: ). As for the flexibility of going WR/Chubb I felt okay with 3/4 as I went Diggs/Howard.

I’m in a similar spot in one of my leagues, and the strategy I’m thinking of going with is simple. 

RB1 ELITE (your first pick)

WR (2nd Pick)

RB2 or WR (3rd Pick)

all depends on how much you like running backs

Always go RB/WR

If your league is competitive the RB’s will be slim coming back in the 3rd.

Edited by RMJ_12

This is tough.

I have 3 players in mind at #9 in one of my leagues

1. DJ

2. Hopkins

3. Cook or Adams

DJ probably will be gone. He tends to go around 5 or 6 but he drops once in a while. While I would like a RB there, Hopkins is the best WR in my opinion so I won't pass on him. I then have Cook going next in my rankings or Adams. Most likely Cook but still a tough decision at the moment. 

If I land DJ, i'm taking the best player available. If I land Hopkins or Adams, i'm taking the best RB available. You really can't afford to go WR/WR this year picking in the back end unless you want your RB1 to be Carson, Lindsay, or something along those lines. It's not a terrible RB1 but no thanks. If I take Cook i'm going with the best available WR as I view Cook as a risky pick. Hill, Odell, JuJu, or Evans most likely. 

Too complicated to go past this. Way too many variables to consider to discuss past the first two picks. 

Been going top WR Hopkins, Adams, or Jones then Chubb at the turn from the 9 spot.

Edited by bigbluecrew56

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

This is tough.

I have 3 players in mind at #9 in one of my leagues

1. DJ

2. Hopkins

3. Cook or Adams

DJ probably will be gone. He tends to go around 5 or 6 but he drops once in a while. While I would like a RB there, Hopkins is the best WR in my opinion so I won't pass on him. I then have Cook going next in my rankings or Adams. Most likely Cook but still a tough decision at the moment. 

If I land DJ, i'm taking the best player available. If I land Hopkins or Adams, i'm taking the best RB available. You really can't afford to go WR/WR this year picking in the back end unless you want your RB1 to be Carson, Lindsay, or something along those lines. It's not a terrible RB1 but no thanks. If I take Cook i'm going with the best available WR as I view Cook as a risky pick. Hill, Odell, JuJu, or Evans most likely. 

Too complicated to go past this. Way too many variables to consider to discuss past the first two picks. 

You really like Cook this season? I feel like he is lumped into that group that has question marks (Conner/Cook/Gurley/Mixon).  I like Chubb over all of them if I were to grab an RB here.  Or just go with another Elite WR...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Always go RB/WR

If your league is competitive the RB’s will be slim coming back in the 3rd.

There is no always in FF drafts,just my .02

• Like 4

Just now, Fabrini said:

There is no always in FF drafts,just my .02

You’ll hate your team if you start WR/WR, if anything else go RB/RB

53 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Taking kelce is essentially taking a wr in my eyes. He would've finished as WR6 last year in ppr

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

You really like Cook this season? I feel like he is lumped into that group that has question marks (Conner/Cook/Gurley/Mixon).  I like Chubb over all of them if I were to grab an RB here.  Or just go with another Elite WR...

I like him over all the RBs outside of the top 6 (CMC, Barkley, Elliot, Kamara, DJ, and Bell). 

They all have questions but Cook has the least IMO. Chubb is going to beast first 8 weeks but I believe Hunt will have more of a role than people seem to think. Conner is a solid option but honestly i'm just not feeling him in the first round and don't know exactly how much he will be involved in an offense that seems like it is due to decline a bit. Gurley has the knee (although he is very tempting) and Mixon is in a terrible situation. 

Cook is on a team with a good defense, good offense, and an OC who loves to run the ball with a scheme that fits Cook perfectly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jumper said:

The other alternative is to go Kelce and RB or elite WR in the 1/2, then in the 3/4 turn grab the highest ranked RB or WR guy in the position you didn't take in the 1/2 turn.  You can wind up with a team like this (just mock drafted this via the FantasyPros mock draft simulator, chose 10th in a 12-team 0.5PPR mock league): 

QB:   Brees or Goff
RB1:  Conner
RB2:  Carson
WR1: Diggs
WR2: Woods
Flex1:  Ingram
Flex2:  White
TE:       Kelce

I wish that team were possible however you're only going to get two of Carson, diggs, white, carson. In the 5th and 6th you're staring at Coleman if you're lucky, but most likely Cohen, ekeler, L. Murray, Drake

1 minute ago, RMJ_12 said:

You’ll hate your team if you start WR/WR, if anything else go RB/RB

I've been playing money league FF for over 20 years and NEVER have had a set strategy on positions.In '99 I had the 12th pick and went WR/WR, took Randy Moss and Torry Holt...yeah I really hated that team.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, K197040 said:

The problem I"m seeing at the 11/12 turn now is that often all of the top WR are not there.   Often both Beckham and Thomas are both gone.  So it would be Hill for me I guess.  Agree that it's tough to take Kelce but I don't particularly like that group of RB at that point. 

At 11 I'm I keep seeing the opposite. RBs are gone besides Mixon, gurley, and cook which are all a gamble. I'm usually left looking at Hill, OBJ, Juju. Personally I like Hill and Juju over MT, Julio, and OBJ so may just grab them both or one plus Kelce