ludawg23

Late 1st round pick strategy

4 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I just had a half point PPR draft picking out of the #9 spot and grabbed Odell Beckham and Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster in rounds 1 and 2 because the rb's were flying off the board in the 1st round.  Then I picked Devonta Freeman and David Montgomery next in rounds 3 and 4 to be my top 2 rb's.  I think I did ok though Freeman and Montgomery both carry some risk for different reasons.

I think that's a great outcome. I'd be thrilled with those backs. I'm expecting Ingram/Monty or ingram/carson out of 11

Edited by scheibler

If you had a choice of picking 9, 10, 11, or 12, what’s the ideal spot? 9 so you have a chance at that top tier of RBs?

best available player in rounds 1 and 2 regardless of position. if it means WR/WR then so be it, if it means RB/RB then that is what it i s

Edited by Panthor
  • Like 2

If I am at the back end, my plan is to go WR/WR. Believe it or not, I am planning on eyeing a WR in the 3rd as well. That gives you 3 set and forget starters (2 WR and the Flex). Lock up those points and then start a run of RBs like Ingram, Murray, Duke, Hunt, and Lewis spread out with a TE and QB mixed in based off of your perceived value. You only need 2 RBs to put up startable numbers. Then, as Hunt gets close to his return, you leverage him + another RB (or bench depth player that panned out) to go after a higher tier RB... or ride it with Hunt instead. This seems to be a solid approach unless I am missing something.

Could be something like: 

QB- Brees/Ryan/Mayfield (stack with one of the WRs)

RB- Montgomery/Carson/Ingram FOURTH ROUND

RB- Duke/Cohen/Murray/  FIFTH ROUND

WR- Thomas/Julio  FIRST ROUND

WR- Hill/OBJ/JuJu  SECOND ROUND

TE- Cook/McDonald  SIXTH ROUND

Flex- Cooper/Diggs/Kupp  THIRD ROUND

Def- who cares

K- who cares

Bench: Hunt, Lewis, Samuel, Isabella... yada yada yada

1 minute ago, KB24MVP said:

lol what do you want with Hunt?! Sorry but that’s a really dumb approach to draft somebody who is missing half of the season and to think that he can take away much volume from a stud like Chubb to be relevant.

also there are too many good WR at the end of the draft, RB are not. That’s why you need to get your good RBs early, WR can wait. Only one WR, max 2 in the first 5/6 rounds is enough!

The top of my draft is reserved for guys that are "close to guarantees". It just so happens that this year the second wave of RBs have question marks and it the WR talent is more secure. I have trust issues with the 2nd tier of RBs (Conner, Mixon, Bell, etc). I would rather draft an RB that I don't trust a few rounds later than an RB that I don't trust early. Drafting the 2nd tier of RBs leaves you more exposed if they don't pan out than the next tier of RBs. Risk vs reward. 

As far as Hunt is concerned, he is a wildcard. Does picking him kill my team? Nope. Lots of variables surrounding him but some of them could pay off immensely for a gambler later in the draft. Risk vs reward.

Picking guys in the 8th round who probably won’t have an impact at all is certainly a way to kill his team ;)

also your point with “trust” in RBs is nonsense, every year there are some guys who had injuries or bad seasons and come back, you just have to go with what’s available and what seems to be a good option (good training camp, fitting coaching staff, improved O-Line... the list goes on and on).

and as I said, WR sleepers and breakout candidates are way more available at the end of the draft than RBs

Just doing another at 9 and went with WR/RB then RB heavy to check it out.  Davante would be carrying my WRs but if the backs all relatively hit and Jarvis can provide high flex/basic WR numbers, that team could be great.

1 - Davante Adams

2- Nick Chubb

3- Marlon Mack

4- Chris Carson 

5- AJ Green 

6 - Jarvis Landry

1 hour ago, Mustangt125 said:

Just doing another at 9 and went with WR/RB then RB heavy to check it out.  Davante would be carrying my WRs but if the backs all relatively hit and Jarvis can provide high flex/basic WR numbers, that team could be great.

1 - Davante Adams

2- Nick Chubb

3- Marlon Mack

4- Chris Carson 

5- AJ Green 

6 - Jarvis Landry

Chubbs up to #6 overall ok yahoo. If you're in a spot to get Adams I think you'll be looking at cook, Mixon, or gurley left