Rotoworld.com Forums

Gary Harris 2019-2020 Outlook

35 minutes ago, Raiiny said:

He's still being outplayed by Beasley when supposedly healthy, I think eventually Beasley will take the starting job if he keeps on struggling.

It's been 2 games, and he isn't struggling.  He got 34+ minutes so isn't losing minutes to Beasley.  He will never lose his starting job to Beasley due to his elite defense.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's been terrible who would be buying after one game? Dropped him a long time ago in a 12 team.

Not to mention his skill set is one of the most replicable: 3 and D wing.  His scoring is solid but that’s going to drop given their depth.  His steals are solid but unremarkable.  The only thing impr

My problem with rostering Gary is, you’re hoping for four things: him to shoot well in most of his games, not turn it over, get a three and a steal, of which, him not turning it over is the only sure

1 minute ago, summersoff7 said:

it should.  read into it a little bit more.  He sucks, the team is too deep, you'd be better off streaming.

He got 34 minutes both games so he's getting full minutes despite Denver's depth.  And saying " he sucks you're better off streaming" is a league-dependent, subjective evaluation that contributes nothing.

Edited by El_Chingon
3 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

He got 34 minutes both games so he's getting full minutes despite Denver's depth.  And saying " he sucks you're better off streaming" is a league-dependent, subjective evaluation that contributes nothing.

umm ok.. hang on to him, he's great!  He's going to definitely NOT let you down.

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, RotoHub said:

Minutes are there. Patience my fellow Harris owners.

The problem is denver is too deep and have too many scoring option...Jokic and Murray are the 1a and 1b scoring option,then Harris,Barton,Millsap will fight for shot each other,and don't forget they still have Beasley,Grant also need some shot,so you can't promise Harris will have enough shoot attempt in every match

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kane said:

The problem is denver is too deep and have too many scoring option...Jokic and Murray are the 1a and 1b scoring option,then Harris,Barton,Millsap will fight for shot each other,and don't forget they still have Beasley,Grant also need some shot,so you can't promise Harris will have enough shoot attempt in every match

That is not really too many scoring options. Jokic is not a big scorer he averages like 18 to 20 ppg. Very low average for the teams alpha. Murray is fairly high usage and scoring but still nothing crazy. Harris is just playing badly, the opportunity is there. Maybe he just sucks now or lost his confidence though...havent seen the games so no idea but he was dropped in my league so I'm watching now

55 minutes ago, richg24 said:

That is not really too many scoring options. Jokic is not a big scorer he averages like 18 to 20 ppg. Very low average for the teams alpha. Murray is fairly high usage and scoring but still nothing crazy. Harris is just playing badly, the opportunity is there. Maybe he just sucks now or lost his confidence though...havent seen the games so no idea but he was dropped in my league so I'm watching now

The problem isn’t too many scorers, it’s too many wings period.  I tried to cuff Barton and Harris together bc I was pretty sure one would be top 75 and one wouldn’t.  I was a little more pessimistic than most bc I don’t think either will sniff top 50.  Thus far Barton has been better.  They tend to be overrated as well.  Harris gets value from steals and high FG.  When his shot isn’t falling he’s just another SG, maybe not even rosterable, while at least someone such as Danny green can at least get stocks when his shot isn’t falling. Idk if it’s a drop but I’m pessimistic that he will be good.  

Edited by StifleTower2
23 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

The problem isn’t too many scorers, it’s too many wings period.  I tried to cuff Barton and Harris together bc I was pretty sure one would be top 75 and one wouldn’t.  I was a little more pessimistic than most bc I don’t think either will sniff top 50.  Thus far Barton has been better.  They tend to be overrated as well.  Harris gets value from steals and high FG.  When his shot isn’t falling he’s just another SG, maybe not even rosterable, while at least someone such as Danny green can at least get stocks when his shot isn’t falling. Idk if it’s a drop but I’m pessimistic that he will be good.  

Barton played 21 minutes last night, and Barton/Beasley/Craig minutes will continue to fluctuate based on game flow and matchups. On the other hand, Harris will get 32+ minutes nightly regardless.  Of the Denver wings, G. Harris is the only guy who is matchup proof.  He will only lose minutes if injured.

1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

Barton played 21 minutes last night, and Barton/Beasley/Craig minutes will continue to fluctuate based on game flow and matchups. On the other hand, Harris will get 32+ minutes nightly regardless.  Of the Denver wings, G. Harris is the only guy who is matchup proof.  He will only lose minutes if injured.

If you believe that then the last two games reflects negatively on his chances because  he’s played very poorly.  He’s not taken many shots and the shots he’s taken has missed. Not getting a ton of steals.

I also don’t believe Harris is guaranteed 30 minutes.  

1 minute ago, StifleTower2 said:

If you believe that then the last two games reflects negatively on his chances because  he’s played very poorly.  He’s not taken many shots and the shots he’s taken has missed. Not getting a ton of steals.

I also don’t believe Harris is guaranteed 30 minutes.  

?

He has gotten 4 steals in 2 games...

7 minutes ago, molski said:

Tons of dudes like this on waivers. You guys are still clinging on to two years ago. It’s over. 

And you might be clinging to last year.  If he gets @ 1.5 steals with decent scoring and 3pm, not tons of them on waivers to replicate that.

• Like 2

I have to agree w/ Chingon. It’s just two games and Harris is already establishing a good floor with minutes and steals. We’re just waiting for the 3’s to start falling. He’s a solid player many of us drafted late. If he stays healthy 🤞🏼 his stats aren’t waiver wire material.

2 hours ago, molski said:

Tons of dudes like this on waivers. You guys are still clinging on to two years ago. It’s over. 

Tons of dudes? And after two games you are confident those dudes are going to outproduce Harris? 

Recency bias is strong in this thread.

This guy has always been a low usage player so not sure what people were expecting. Different style than Barton even though they play the same position and can eat into each others minutes.

That top 50 season in 17-18 may have been an outlier/career best.

Last year .425, 3 years before .485/.502/.469 - can he at least get to .469 again?

Last year 1.0 steals, 3 years before 1.8/1.2/1.3 - can he at least get to 1.2?

The high FG% with 3's/steals is not that common. If he doesn't get his FG% and steals back up to at least those levels, then yes he is just another guy.

Both numbers seem reasonable if he gets minutes.Other concern is he misses games 57,67,57,76 games last 4 years.

27 minutes ago, jrb said:

This guy has always been a low usage player so not sure what people were expecting. Different style than Barton even though they play the same position and can eat into each others minutes.

That top 50 season in 17-18 may have been an outlier/career best.

Last year .425, 3 years before .485/.502/.469 - can he at least get to .469 again?

Last year 1.0 steals, 3 years before 1.8/1.2/1.3 - can he at least get to 1.2?

The high FG% with 3's/steals is not that common. If he doesn't get his FG% and steals back up to at least those levels, then yes he is just another guy.

Both numbers seem reasonable if he gets minutes.Other concern is he misses games 57,67,57,76 games last 4 years.

This is the only real concern imo.  When Gary is healthy and in rhythm he has a good chance to put up top-50 numbers. 

It isn't unreasonable to fade him after what he put owners through last year, but as with most injury riddled seasons there seems to be some overcompensation in devaluing the player. A lot of naysayers are pointing to Denver's depth as reason for being bearish.  Looking back at Gary's career arc, he improved yearly until hitting an apex in 2017-18 when DEN's wing rotation included Barton (33mpg), Chandler (32mpg) and Craig (16mpg).  I do not believe that situation was any better depth-wise than it is now.  Gary's minutes are secure, health permitting.  

The stronger, more concerning argument is his value is tied to efficiency (not there yet) and a high steal rate (on display thus far, albeit SSS).  I am a Gary believer and have faith he can return to shooting > 46% from the field with his legs back under him so as long as he gets his ~13 FGA he is a firm hold for me.  The steals are directly tied to the mpg which I believe will be > 30mpg, again, health permitting.   

All that said, I will not hesitate to cut bait if he sustains another lower body injury because he has also proven he has a hard time getting "right" once his physique is compromised.  

Edited by 80version
  • Thanks 1

Looked like he's beginning to round into form tonight.  

17 pts on 5/9 w/ 3 treys, 4/4 FT, 6 reb+ast, a steal, 1 TO in 29 mins 

He was putting up this line routinely a couple of years ago (i.e. last time he was 100% healthy).  Stock goes way up if he strings a few games like this together. 

• Like 1
On 10/26/2019 at 6:13 AM, summersoff7 said:

it should.  read into it a little bit more.  He sucks, the team is too deep, you'd be better off streaming.

Any regrets dropping GH now? Dude is a quality SG that doesn’t really hurt you that many of us drafted in the later rounds. He’s the type of player that makes your team look deep with quality depth.

• Like 1

Was surprised to see this guy on waivers. I picked him up because I need to stream 3s and steals this week, but did not think of this guy as a streamer type. 

I'm punting fg and with the exception of this weeks opponent, I'm already strong in 3s and stls, but wondering if I should hold here. Are people just expecting his usage to be too inconsistent to hold value or was this a premature drop?

• tonycpsu changed the title to Gary Harris 2019-2020 Outlook