Sign in to follow this  
KilloWertz

Joshua Rojas 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Acquired from the Astros, Arizona is calling up Rojas.  Hopefully they can find him regular ABs, as he was absolutely killing it in the minors this year (.332 AVG, 23 HRs, and 33 SBs between AA and AAA).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has some nice tools and really came into his own this season. Can play the entire OF as well as 2B/3B, has a chance to take a role and run with it for next year (even if it might be more of a super utility one)...just kinda got lost in a deeeep HOU system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the lineup tonight batting 6th in RF. He’s been scorching hot since being traded. In the 8 games he’s played for Arizona’s AAA team he’s 18/35 (.514) 3 hr 14 rbi 11 r 5/6 bb/k (30/36 in Houston AAA). Definitely worth a flyer in deeper leagues imo and he gets to start his MLB career at Coors while hot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows if he'll stick given how they dealt with Cron, but it's nice that he gets start the series at Coors. Must add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Who knows if he'll stick given how they dealt with Cron, but it's nice that he gets start the series at Coors. Must add.

His ability to play anywhere in the OF and at least in the middle infield gives him a much better shot than Cron.

His debut being in Coors adds a little excitement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked at the D'Backs depth chart and I don't see how it gets regular ABs. They don't seem comfortable playing Marte at SS regularly so that means he's in the OF almost permanently with Peralta and A.Jones. And I don't see them benching any of those guys long term.  Best case scenario he assumes Swihart's roll of spelling OFs on off days (i.e., no clear path to regular ABs). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I just looked at the D'Backs depth chart and I don't see how it gets regular ABs. They don't seem comfortable playing Marte at SS regularly so that means he's in the OF almost permanently with Peralta and A.Jones. And I don't see them benching any of those guys long term.  Best case scenario he assumes Swihart's roll of spelling OFs on off days (i.e., no clear path to regular ABs). 

Marte plays 2B a decent enough amount too, but I'm not sure if the lack of SS playing time is due to them not being comfortable with him there or the fact that they have Ahmed.  He's no great hitter, but he's a pretty good SS.

My prediction, at least initially, is that they get him regular ABs in several different places.  If he hits, then he sticks and one of their veterans rides the bench (like Lamb, as it's time for him to go).  If he doesn't, then he's just a super utility player.  Obviously I have no idea if I'm right, but it sounds reasonable enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones is out today, Peralta is out 2 days in a row now, it's been between locastro, Dyson, and marte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

He's not on ESPN yet. 

Color me shocked 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be a steal this late in the season. Keep your fingers crossed!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that he plays 2B/SS and stole a lot in minors. Wish I had crystal ball to see what kind of PT he gets ROS and if they let him run. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was up to 2nd in the order last night. Went 0-4, but no strikeouts and a couple of his fly outs almost left the yard. I'm intrigued.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CounterPunch said:

was up to 2nd in the order last night. Went 0-4, but no strikeouts and a couple of his fly outs almost left the yard. I'm intrigued.

It was only because Marte was given the game off, but it was still nice to see them putting him up there already with the spot open.  He's definitely been intriguing so far.  Obviously not making nightly headlines like Aquino, but still, Rojas has been solid so far in his own right.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not in the lineup tonight.  So far it's been two games, sit, two games, sit.  Even with Marte scratched tonight, he still stayed on the bench and Flores got put into the lineup.  Somewhat disappointing, and not a good sign for regular ABs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, street sharks said:

1 for 2 with a steal and RBI against Bumgarner today. Hopefully they keep giving him opportunities 

Agreed, although he gets rewarded for his solid game and first SB of his career by being out of the lineup yet again.  I would say this wasn't completely unexpected, but it's still a bit ridiculous that Lamb has to continue to play regularly vs. RHP even though he clearly is a shell of his former self already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Agreed, although he gets rewarded for his solid game and first SB of his career by being out of the lineup yet again.  I would say this wasn't completely unexpected, but it's still a bit ridiculous that Lamb has to continue to play regularly vs. RHP even though he clearly is a shell of his former self already.

Sorta parallels with VanMeter in cincy...mostly old school backwards thinking to hold back these good young players against same handed hurling, they have shown in the minors they just hit. It's not like we are doing this to RHH prospects.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Sorta parallels with VanMeter in cincy...mostly old school backwards thinking to hold back these good young players against same handed hurling, they have shown in the minors they just hit. It's not like we are doing this to RHH prospects.

VanMeter has actually gotten pretty much regular playing time of late and hasn't been anywhere near what he was earlier, but still, their initial situations are similar.

Arizona traded for Rojas and called him up shortly after.  To jerk him around like this after the fact doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it is at least partially what you said.  Also, Arizona has an outside shot at a Wild Card spot, so you think they'd play their best players.

I'm still going to stash Rojas and plug him in there when he does play, but it will get difficult to continue that for very long if the playing time doesn't improve.  He actually got to play more when he first got called up, and everybody was healthy then, so you can't say it was just because he was filling in somewhere.  They are playing Lamb over Adam Jones too, which is odd, but that's another story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, strahanfan92 said:

A bit better lately. .306 2 homers over last 14 days, 8 RBIs.

Yeah, even if his stats are fueled/inflated by his one huge game from a week ago.  Not doing a whole lot otherwise, but he is finally getting regular playing time after their injuries, so there's finally hope at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.