Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

8/13 - GAME DAY THREAD

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Anyone smarter than me that can explain why you would bat Correa 4 instead of Alvarez?

It breaks up the lefties (Brantley and Yordan). Correa has also been red hot of late (.379/.455/.759) over the last 7 games. White Sox have a lot of lefties in the pen so I think Hinch is just trying to make it a little tougher on them.

Edited by meh2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cease has been great after the terrible start (a popular refrain this season). 9 straight weak contact outs and very good command last 3 innings. He's off my streamer pile for this year, but I think he'll be a very good end of draft value guy next year. If he can figure out how to get out of the first couple innings he an be a real nice source of Ks.

Edited by sleepysock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wait so Zack Greinke is terrible now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Cease has been great after the terrible start (a popular refrain this season). 9 straight weak contact outs and very good command last 3 innings. He's off my streamer pile for this year, but I think he'll be a very good end of draft value guy next year. If he can figure out how to get out of the first couple innings he an be a real nice source of Ks.

 

It's actually remarkable watching this, it's a ground ball fest. One strikeout through 5.1, which probably has never happened in his career, but the results are a lot of Astros heading back to the dugout before getting on base. This is part of what he needs to learn, the idea to pitch to contact a bit more. This game is a huge step for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why you would bring Cease back out for inning 7 after he's had a solid outing against the best offense in baseball, I have no idea. Put the good start in the bank and don't mess with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Why you would bring Cease back out for inning 7 after he's had a solid outing against the best offense in baseball, I have no idea. Put the good start in the bank and don't mess with it.

Umm...I wouldn’t say “best” offense - but yeah, he should be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Umm...I wouldn’t say “best” offense - but yeah, he should be done.

Highest OPS on the year. Highest OPS since the break.

Yeah, best in baseball.

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sleepysock said:

Highest OPS on the year. Hoghest OPS since the break.

Yeah, best in baseball.

If you ignore the fact that the Yanks have scored 62 more runs in just two more games?  Sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 walks, guy has no idea where it's going. I can't see how he sustains any kind of success when he's walking 4 or 5 guys a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Why you would bring Cease back out for inning 7 after he's had a solid outing against the best offense in baseball, I have no idea. Put the good start in the bank and don't mess with it.

 

If you look at what Renteria has been doing, Cease has been going 100 to 100+ in every start. It's laughable he's using him like this in a lost season. Develop him, allow him to grow, but keep things in perspective. The Sox actually have a decent pen, no need to push this kid so much. I'd like to see him be done around 90, but that's just me.

Edited by kwolf68

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BMcP said:

If you ignore the fact that the Yanks have scored 62 more runs in just two more games?  Sure.

I will ignore it, thanks. Yanks are #2. You can be okay with that, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

5 walks, guy has no idea where it's going. I can't see how he sustains any kind of success when he's walking 4 or 5 guys a game.

This was not a "guy who has no idea where it's going" outing. One IBB and a lot of just misses leading to the others. Command was not bad at all today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sleepysock said:

I will ignore it, thanks. Yanks are #2. You can be okay with that, no?

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, murraygd13 said:

5 walks, guy has no idea where it's going. I can't see how he sustains any kind of success when he's walking 4 or 5 guys a game.

I'm with you on this one. He's obviously young and to write him off is foolish but his lack of command is highly concerning. I don't expect him to magically figure it out between this year and next. I think we'll see an above average k/9, but he'll kill you in ERA and WHIP, basically E Rod with a worse bb/9 and a worse WHIP. No thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

5 walks, guy has no idea where it's going. I can't see how he sustains any kind of success when he's walking 4 or 5 guys a game.

 

Did you watch the game? One walk was intentional and it was a really tough strike zone. And still gave up 2 earned runs in 6 innings, against a big boy team, don't think one can complain. "No idea where it's going" is absolute nonsense, he barely missed on two of those walks, just a tough umpire today, giving him nothing on the inside half, while Zach got everything. 

Glad to know the "book is out" on a 22 year old kid. Probably no chance he will ever get better at all. 

 

Edited by kwolf68

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, meh2 said:

I'm with you on this one. He's obviously young and to write him off is foolish but his lack of command is highly concerning. I don't expect him to magically figure it out between this year and next. I think we'll see an above average k/9, but he'll kill you in ERA and WHIP, basically E Rod with a worse bb/9 and a worse WHIP. No thanks.

 

LOL. Wonder what you thought about Lucas Giolito last year? I bet "No Thanks" was the censored version. Shocking Lucas improved. Gio is now a bonafide ace and he is one of Dylan's biggest supporters as Cease works through his first trip through the MLB landscape. Watch the kid pitch, he has great demeanor and is a battler. The command is still a work in progress, but you can see he has everything it takes to be a top of the rotation piece, although all those scouts are probably wrong and we should defer to fantasy leaguers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giolito's dramatic improvement from last year to this year is not a norm. Citing one specific case is not a valid argument. I've watched him pitch several times. I'm not buying him next year. What would you project his ERA, WHIP, K/9 and bb/9 to be next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cease's BB/9 was 4.1 coming into today. I don't think it's a stretch to say he can be between 3-4 next season with just a slight improvement. The following pitchers are in that range: Giolito, Castillo, S. Gray, J. Gray, Ray, Nola. Bauer, Odorozzi, Miley, Keller, EROD. These guys are all somewhere between fantasy relevant and borderline fantasy aces. All but two use 9+ K/9 to offset the walks. Cease coming into today was at 9k/9. 20 of the 30 qualified starters putting up those kind of strikeout numbers have an ERA under 4. Bump it up to 9.5 -- which I think Cease is certainly capable of next season -- and it's 17 of 21 under 4. Most under 3.50.

The correlation between walk numbers and success (or lack of it) is not as strong as the one between elite strikeout numbers and success. For that reason writing off Cease because you feel he's issuing too many free passes is, IMO, a mistake.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how much more MLB baseball I can stomach watching. Between the terrible ump calls, the juiced ball, lineup tinkering, service time rules, etc. Just over it at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, meh2 said:

Giolito's dramatic improvement from last year to this year is not a norm. Citing one specific case is not a valid argument. I've watched him pitch several times. I'm not buying him next year. What would you project his ERA, WHIP, K/9 and bb/9 to be next year?

 

I don't project, because I don't know the future and it's folly to try to do it in baseball. Just as it's folly for me to predict he will actually achieve greatness, it's absolute folly for you to predict him to be garbage after what 7 major league starts? My point is players like Cease should be labeled TBD, until we see them over some sort of sustained period of time. That's all I am saying. It's a crock to see people chime in that he's garbage, he can't control it, no thanks. That is just as asinine as someone else chiming in after a couple great starts that he's a future hall of famer. That's my only point.

I get it, this is a fantasy site and I've seen people throw players like Cody Bellinger under the bus so nothing really surprises me with fantasy leaguers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Not sure how much more MLB baseball I can stomach watching. Between the terrible ump calls, the juiced ball, lineup tinkering, service time rules, etc. Just over it at the moment.

whats the option between feb and sept?  golf?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sleepysock said:

Cease's BB/9 was 4.1 coming into today. I don't think it's a stretch to say he can be between 3-4 next season with just a slight improvement. The following pitchers are in that range: Giolito, Castillo, S. Gray, J. Gray, Ray, Nola. Bauer, Odorozzi, Miley, Keller, EROD. These guys are all somewhere between fantasy relevant and borderline fantasy aces. All but two use 9+ K/9 to offset the walks. Cease coming into today was at 9k/9. 20 of the 30 qualified starters putting up those kind of strikeout numbers have an ERA under 4. Bump it up to 9.5 -- which I think Cease is certainly capable of next season -- and it's 17 of 21 under 4. Most under 3.50.

The correlation between walk numbers and success (or lack of it) is not as strong as the one between elite strikeout numbers and success. For that reason writing off Cease because you feel he's issuing too many free passes is, IMO, a mistake.

 

 

Those are the owners you LOVE in your league. Target a player on their team you like, wait for a slump (it's baseball, slumps ALWAYS happen), strike, take said player for pennies on dollar and enjoy. The way some people talk about Dylan Cease you'd probably be able to get him for Chris Owings at this point. LOL.

Edited by kwolf68

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this