Sign in to follow this  
UcanTry

Deep League Sleepers in Dynasty

I’m curious to get some opinions on this topic. A lot of the guys I’m wondering about, don’t have their own thread on here, and you don’t see a lot of information on. For the owners that play in leagues with large benches, i roster 28 in 2 leagues, who are the guys to looking at?

I just picked up:

Darius Slayton, Chad BeBe, Riley Ridley and Deon Cain was there. Was thinking of Gary Jennings, Dawson Knox or Emmanuel Butler

Im just looking for those guys in that group. But like i said I don’t see any threads and so I’m curious to see what owners think of anyone in the group, generally less that’s 3% owned. Or who’s out there i might be missing.

Ty Johnson - RB - 6th round pick by the Lions out of Maryland

Kid has serious speed, unofficially ran a 4.26 40 at his Pro Day (even with a friendly home clock that's very fast).  Doesn't project to have a big role this year but a lot in the Lions community think he is legit and has a future as the COP back behind Kerryon, who already has injury concerns.  A lot are calling him the Theo Riddick replacement (the Lions cut Theo after drafting Ty, if you're the tea-leaves-reading type).  Has looked good so far in training camp and preseason.  3 carries for 22 yards in preseason game 1 and reports are he is killing it this week in joint practice with the Texans.  Yes, it's a very limited sample size, but that's what we have to go with so far.  He also could be doing punt and kick returns.

After Kerryon the Lions have CJ Anderson who is only signed for this year, and Zach Zenner, so the opportunity will be there for him.

I expect him to improve his pass-catching and become the #2 behind Kerryon for the Lions as early as next season.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, UcanTry said:

I’m curious to get some opinions on this topic. A lot of the guys I’m wondering about, don’t have their own thread on here, and you don’t see a lot of information on. For the owners that play in leagues with large benches, i roster 28 in 2 leagues, who are the guys to looking at?

I just picked up:

Darius Slayton, Chad BeBe, Riley Ridley and Deon Cain was there. Was thinking of Gary Jennings, Dawson Knox or Emmanuel Butler

Im just looking for those guys in that group. But like i said I don’t see any threads and so I’m curious to see what owners think of anyone in the group, generally less that’s 3% owned. Or who’s out there i might be missing.

deep leagues only:

chad beebe is a great get. slayton has potential, but i'm doubtful the giants will have a QB who will align with slayton's speed (yes, i know daniel jones looked good in week 1 preseason... still thinking it's an optical illusion).

for WRs, i like reggie white jr., vyncint smith, kevin white (not as sexy as the rookies or other vets, but a deeper league piece of the air raid), phillip dorsett (monitor most recent injury), willie snead (no one is talking about him or drafting him), chris conley... not sure how deep we're talking but enunwa is being left for dead, byron pringle's name has been forgotten now that tyreek is back, john ursua, kumerow...

for RBs, ameer abdullah is free right now, as is michael boone, and while neither will get playing time as is, dalvin cook's next injury will give them a shot. that said, mattison is a durable back in great health, so neither will pass mattison imo yet one could emerge behind mattison for COP; doug martin is the guy no one speaks of; tj yeldon is talented but buried / undrafted; travis homer.

TEs possible in deep leagues include kahale warring, seals-jones (maxx williams and charles clay signings have pushed him down the depth chart, but did you see the grab he made in preseason week 1?), geoff swaim, uzomah / drew sample.

giphy.gif

I currently have these three WR in a deep dynasty setup. Love them all but still waiting for preseason to answer some questions.

Jake Kumerow

Justin Watson

Deon Cain

Love this kind of stuff.  You want deep?  Here’s deep, both currently with Green Bay

Darrius Shepherd, rookie UDFA WR. With a roster loaded with tall athletic WRs, this guy is an unathletic slot WR out of North Dakota St.  5’-11” 186 lbs and his analytic scores are downright atrocious.  So why is he here?  This guy was PFF’s 2nd ranked WR in the 2019 draft behind only Isabella.  He lead the nation in yards per snap out of the slot.  More importantly, he has shined big time in camp and regularly beats the top DBs to the point where he’s gotten first team work.  All he does it get open - all the time.  Route running is pristine and his cuts are very sudden.  This kid is just a flat out football player.  He gets it.  Rodgers absolutely raves about him.  Plus he returns punts.  He’s probably at least a year away if he makes it at all, but given the reports to date he ought to be someone that you have on a watch list, because he’s really the only natural slot receiver on a roster loaded with young athletic outside WRs.

The other one is TE Bobby Tonyan, and he also has been getting a ton of positive reviews.  This is a serious break out candidate that has much shorter odds than Shepherd of being an impact guy.  He was picked up as a 6’-5” 230 lb UDFA WR that GB  picked up with the intent of making him a TE.  He actually made the roster last year.  Also unlike Shepherd, this guy is a great athlete but had to add weight and learn how to play TE.  So he spent the offseason working out with and learning from Kittle and added 20 lbs of muscle.  So far this year in camp he’s been making numerous highlight reel catches while playing a move TE.  Like Shepherd, Rodgers can’t stop gushing about him and has him pegged as a future star, maybe as early as this year.  He’s easily GB’s most athletic TE and a great receiver at the spot, but he’s also turned himself into the 2nd best blocking TE behind Marcedes Lewis.  If you had any thoughts about Sternberger as a flyer - including in dynasty - then you ought to forget about Sternberger and add Tonyan instead.  Tonyan is a better athlete and receiver than Sternberger and blocks a whole lot better.  This kid could very well lead GB TEs in receiving this year, and has become a favorite target for Rodgers.  He could have a Shannon Sharpe kind of career trajectory, who also was a converted WR.

Both these guys are worth doing some research on, being on a roster that has a lot of unanswered questions at receiver beyond Adams and has Rodgers throwing the ball.  Especially since both guys have caught Rodgers’ eye and trust and have worked their way into first teams reps.

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bronco Billy said:

Love this kind of stuff.  You want deep?  Here’s deep, both currently with Green Bay

Darrius Shepherd, rookie UDFA WR. With a roster loaded with tall athletic WRs, this guy is an unathletic slot WR out of North Dakota St.  5’-11” 186 lbs and his analytic scores are downright atrocious.  So why is he here?  This guy was PFF’s 2nd ranked WR in the 2019 draft behind only Isabella.  He lead the nation in yards per snap out of the slot.  More importantly, he has shined big time in camp and regularly beats the top DBs to the point where he’s gotten first team work.  All he does it get open - all the time.  Route running is pristine and his cuts are very sudden.  This kid is just a flat out football player.  He gets it.  Rodgers absolutely raves about him.  Plus he returns punts.  He’s probably at least a year away if he makes it at all, but given the reports to date he ought to be someone that you have on a watch list, because he’s really the only natural slot receiver on a roster loaded with young athletic outside WRs.

The other one is TE Bobby Tonyan, and he also has been getting a ton of positive reviews.  This is a serious break out candidate that has much shorter odds than Shepherd of being an impact guy.  He was picked up as a 6’-5” 230 lb UDFA WR that GB  picked up with the intent of making him a TE.  He actually made the roster last year.  Also unlike Shepherd, this guy is a great athlete but had to add weight and learn how to play TE.  So he spent the offseason working out with and learning from Kittle and added 20 lbs of muscle.  So far this year in camp he’s been making numerous highlight reel catches while playing a move TE.  Like Shepherd, Rodgers can’t stop gushing about him and has him pegged as a future star, maybe as early as this year.  He’s easily GB’s most athletic TE and a great receiver at the spot, but he’s also turned himself into the 2nd best blocking TE behind Marcedes Lewis.  If you had any thoughts about Sternberger as a flyer - including in dynasty - then you ought to forget about Sternberger and add Tonyan instead.  Tonyan is a better athlete and receiver than Sternberger and blocks a whole lot better.  This kid could very well lead GB TEs in receiving this year, and has become a favorite target for Rodgers.  He could have a Shannon Sharpe kind of career trajectory, who also was a converted WR.

Both these guys are worth doing some research on, being on a roster that has a lot of unanswered questions at receiver beyond Adams and has Rodgers throwing the ball.  Especially since both guys have caught Rodgers’ eye and trust and have worked their way into first teams reps.

Funny you mention tunyon, my gf went to hs with him 😂

ill check out shepard. I already have kumerow on a dyno league but I can always drop someone else for a gb flier.

Here’s another guy almost certain to be on your WW unless you’re in a 32 team league:

Dare Ogunbowale, RB, TB

The kid has enough size and athletic ability to play as a role player at 5’-11” and 205 lbs. He’s not going to be a league winner for you barring some seriously unusual circumstances, but he may add some solid depth to your RB corps and could possibly flirt with RB2 status if things in TB go the way it looks like early on.  Jack of all trades, master of none, this kid was a very solid RB2 in his career at the WIS RB factory.  Picked up as an UDFA by HOU last year and then sent packing after the season (I guess because their RB depth chart was so loaded...), he has made a very nice showing so far as a CoP RB to Barber while RoJo has once again been stepping on his johnson.  The kid is solid in all aspects of the game and can play, but is one of those guys who always looks a little less shiny next to other RBs.  With the RB depth chart in TB being razor thin and the management refusing to give up on RoJo while using JAG Barber as their lead, there is some serious potential opportunity here.  Arians brought in Ellington to bolster the RBs as a possible CoP, but so far Ogunbowale has been running circles around him.  If - if - he sticks and knowing that TB is likely to be in throwing situations a ton this year, he is a dark horse that you ought to be aware of.

BTW - pronounced DAR-eh o-GOON-bo-wall-eh 

• Like 2

Here’s another guy almost certain to be on your WW unless you’re in a 32 team league:

Dare Ogunbowale, RB, TB

The kid has enough size and athletic ability to play as a role player at 5’-11” and 205 lbs. He’s not going to be a league winner for you barring some seriously unusual circumstances, but he may add some solid depth to your RB corps and could possibly flirt with RB2 status if things in TB go the way it looks like early on.  Jack of all trades, master of none, this kid was a very solid RB2 in his career at the WIS RB factory.  Picked up as an UDFA by HOU last year and then sent packing after the season (I guess because their RB depth chart was so loaded...), he has made a very nice showing so far as a CoP RB to Barber while RoJo has once again been stepping on his johnson.  The kid is solid in all aspects of the game and can play, but is one of those guys who always looks a little less shiny next to other RBs.  With the RB depth chart in TB being razor thin and the management refusing to give up on RoJo while using JAG Barber as their lead, there is some serious potential opportunity here.  Arians brought in Ellington to bolster the RBs as a possible CoP, but so far Ogunbowale has been running circles around him.  If - if - he sticks and knowing that TB is likely to be in throwing situations a ton this year, he is a dark horse that you ought to be aware of.

His sister is the real athlete of the family ;)

But he has some jets though and is a real asset in the passing game, both with his receiving chops and blocking. I think he's in the drivers' seat for the 4th RB job.

Dare Ogunbowale, RB, TB

He is actually on my watch list. I had drafted Bruce Anderson but really have seen anything in him lately. So with all the camp buzz with Dare I was thinking that to. He played behind Rojo, Barber and Ellington in preseason 1 but he’s on my watch list. 

19 minutes ago, FantasyGuru24 said:

Andy Isabella

I wish, but he’s on no one wire in Dynasty. 

Nobody is talking about DJ Chark, even though he's shown significant improvement in the offseason and has a golden opportunity ahead of him. No Moncrief, no Marquise Lee, and a much better QB than Bortles who throws a good deep ball, which is a great match for Chark's greatest asset -- speed. 

I've been taking him with the last round pick in each of my leagues.  

5 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

Nobody is talking about DJ Chark, even though he's shown significant improvement in the offseason and has a golden opportunity ahead of him. No Moncrief, no Marquise Lee, and a much better QB than Bortles who throws a good deep ball, which is a great match for Chark's greatest asset -- speed. 

I've been taking him with the last round pick in each of my leagues.  

He’s owned in my dynasty leagues. But my thoughts are there is a lot of hype around Westbrook and how Foles throws to the TEs. Outside of that i think its going to be anyone’s guess on a weekly basis how the other will play out. I could see, if the defense gets back to being elite, them just running the ball a ton as well.

5 minutes ago, UcanTry said:

He’s owned in my dynasty leagues. But my thoughts are there is a lot of hype around Westbrook and how Foles throws to the TEs.

Sure Westbrook deserves some hype.

Geoff Swaim and James O'Shaugnessy though?
Somehow I do not see them emerging as the next Ertz/Goedert.  

Travis Homer -RB SEA- hasn't got much practice time, but he has some talent and could easily position himself as the 3rd RB on the depth chart for a team that runs it more than most anyone.

2 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

I'm impressed. Pronouncing foreign names accurately is generally not really in the American genes :)

Edited by Boudewijn

9 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

Sure Westbrook deserves some hype.

Geoff Swaim and James O'Shaugnessy though?
Somehow I do not see them emerging as the next Ertz/Goedert.  

I scooped up Swaim with the last pick in 2 drafts. No draft equity involved, but Foles loves his TEs.

9 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Travis Homer -RB SEA- hasn't got much practice time, but he has some talent and could easily position himself as the 3rd RB on the depth chart for a team that runs it more than most anyone.

I like this pick... Homer also is a very good receiver. 
Initially I was disappointed in his landing spot, but there is some longer-term opportunity there -- especially when Carson's contract expires after next season.

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

OJ Howard

Didn’t ask pass catching option i asked WR. I want know just Incase something was to happen to Evans or Godwin.