PlayTheWaivers

Dallas Goedert 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Is it me or did I not see a post for this upcoming beast?

Is everyone really overlooking him due to the situation? The eagles are one team where he can churn out legit value due to their schemes, despite ertz being there.

2 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

And he’s a league-winner if Ertz goes down.

I keep hearing this everyplace, from forum people, articles, podcast etc. While I don’t disagree, why is everything thinking Ertz may go down? Is there some injury past I’m not aware of? I don’t know a lot about Ertz, other then how elite he’s been, so any info on this would be great. 

3 minutes ago, UcanTry said:

I keep hearing this everyplace, from forum people, articles, podcast etc. While I don’t disagree, why is everything thinking Ertz may go down? Is there some injury past I’m not aware of? I don’t know a lot about Ertz, other then how elite he’s been, so any info on this would be great. 

No, he’s been great. The point is that IF Goedert ever got the chance to replace Ertz, he’d plug in as Philly’s TE1 and start putting up bonkers fantasy numbers too. That’s not always the case at TE (think Delanie’s replacement, Olsen’s replacement, Gronk’s replacements through the years). Really it’s just another checkmark in his pros column, nothing more.

4 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

He’s got standalone value too.

Agreed. I don’t think it would be surprising if he racks up enough TDs to finish as a backend TE1.

His snap count went up as the season went along last year, and he also got some looks in the red zone. If all you're looking for out of the TE spot is that occasional TD, there are probably worse fliers to take. Ertz being on the roster limits his upside to an extent, but if you believe Goedert might be an elite talent that is being blocked, and I think he could be, its possible he could have some standalone value at fantasy's thinnest position.

FWIW, the Eagles do use a lot of 12 personnel with two TE on the field, and Doug Pederson had hinted before that they might use even more of it this year.

I think I would rather gamble on someone like Goedert late in a draft though, who should be on the field for 60%+ of snaps, is a matchup nightmare, and has an elite QB when healthy in Wentz rather than someone who is a TE1 on their own roster, in a worse passing offense with a worse QB and might be 'just a guy'.

Edited by TheJRod2006

Earlier in this thread I said I couldn't draft a handcuff TE. Well I'm going to pick him up after waivers clear tomorrow due to 7 bench spots. Thought about it and yd rather hold onto him then a second QB or wr4

1 hour ago, scheibler said:

Earlier in this thread I said I couldn't draft a handcuff TE. Well I'm going to pick him up after waivers clear tomorrow due to 7 bench spots. Thought about it and yd rather hold onto him then a second QB or wr4

Ima do the same, but come draft time next week. First thing is to load up on depth at the every position but TE. Final few rounds I’ll draft a couple high upside guys, ala Mark Andrews, Jordan Reed, & ofcourse Dallas Goedert. The objective here is to come away with 2-3 TE’s including our boy. Just gotta plug n play throughout the season, hoping one hits sooner rather then later. But Goedert is the type of guy I would try to keep stashed the entire year. He has league winning upside if Ertz goes down . No other tight end offers you that

5 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Ima do the same, but come draft time next week. First thing is to load up on depth at the every position but TE. Final few rounds I’ll draft a couple high upside guys, ala Mark Andrews, Jordan Reed, & ofcourse Dallas Goedert. The objective here is to come away with 2-3 TE’s including our boy. Just gotta plug n play throughout the season, hoping one hits sooner rather then later. But Goedert is the type of guy I would try to keep stashed the entire year. He has league winning upside if Ertz goes down . No other tight end offers you that

You’d be ok rostering 3 TEs? That’s a lot of roster space.

37 minutes ago, ss3walkman said:

You’d be ok rostering 3 TEs? That’s a lot of roster space.

By week 3-4 , I’d have dropped one. I’m fine with that strategy , because I always wait at TE. And if in the off chance Goedert really impresses me by that time ( Ertz injury withstanding ) Drop the other two, and keep him as my starter. Those two vacant spots will in turn go to RB handcuffs or upside WR’s. I play in a 10 team standard roster league, so waiver wire is always popping. 

Edited by RunCMC

3 hours ago, RunCMC said:

I play in a 10 team standard roster league, so waiver wire is always popping. 

I'm also playing in a 10-team league, which is why I think a 'I waited on a TE, I'll just roll with Goedert' strategy could be viable. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, someone should be available whether it's Rudolph, Olsen, Waller, whoever.

7 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Oooohhh baby, why wouldn't the jags want Ertz? If it's Ertz and a 1st it's a no brainier for the jags.

That would be a dagger straight to the heart of both my fantasy teams. 

It's an unverified rumor so far. But in some medium-deep sized leagues... worth a spec add... After all, you want to move before the rest of the pack catches wind of this.

It could make sense for cap purposes, but if the Eagles have any postseason aspirations then I doubt it would happen. The Eagles need about 5 Jalen Ramseys to fix their secondary.

Even Jalen got a little sassy when he heard about this rumor.

LVKLj6.gif

Edited by FitzMagic

Having been desperate at TE this year and unfortunately having to watch guys like Goedert, I know what all the scouting reports say but he can't carry Ertz's jock. Now I certainly understand how there would be buzz on him if Ertz gets shipped out but I wouldn't expect much more than 60%-70% of the production. 

Meh seems doubtful. But if you have a spare roster spot and no one to add then Goedert for a week and move on when it's confirmed it's false