machine3

Malcolm Brown 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

GL.  I can't call this situation with Gurley out.  To me it's a toss up on whoever gets hot, for however long he is out.

Yeah it’ll be a hot hand situation. Rams haven’t thrown the ball to backs at all this year, im hoping they just grind it out with brown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Gurley misses extended time, Henderson could easily be the better of him and Brown because he is more talented but I think that both backs would likely be used in a committee.  Something like a 60-40 split.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Yeah it’ll be a hot hand situation. Rams haven’t thrown the ball to backs at all this year, im hoping they just grind it out with brown. 

 

They have to be able to run it with 3 wides because they can't take Kupp off the field for long stretches.

And they have bad run blockers up front in the middle.

Something's gotta give.  Either they have someone who is more effective at getting to the edge on those stretch runs or they work the screen game more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

If Gurley misses extended time, Henderson could easily be the better of him and Brown because he is more talented but I think that both backs would likely be used in a committee.  Something like a 60-40 split.

 

Henderson is more talented based on what exactly?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

 

Henderson is more talented based on what exactly?

College game tape (not always relevant for the pro game, but by far the largest piece of visual evidence we have on either player) and draft status.

You can cram all that up your piehole if Brown balls out or Hendo whiffs on some pass blocks or puts the ball on the turf of course.  But yeah in a vacuum given the information we have I would say Henderson is the more physically gifted player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

College game tape (not always relevant for the pro game, but by far the largest piece of visual evidence we have on either player) and draft status.

You can cram all that up your piehole if Brown balls out or Hendo whiffs on some pass blocks or puts the ball on the turf of course.  But yeah in a vacuum given the information we have I would say Henderson is the more physically gifted player.

It's relevant when you play in the SEC not the American Athletic Conference.

I mean I guess if you're looking at player profiler you could determine that his measurable's are better in basically every category. I'm of the opinion though, it takes a lot more than workout metrics to be a productive NFL player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Third down backs/receiving backs are going to look more dynamic and therefore more "talented" but I think all of us should be at the point where we realize trust of a coaching staff to be a well rounded back carries just as much weight as the skill of the player. Brown has that in spades and likely will for the forseeable future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

It's relevant when you play in the SEC not the American Athletic Conference.

I mean I guess if you're looking at player profiler you could determine that his measurable's are better in basically every category. I'm of the opinion though, it takes a lot more than workout metrics to be a productive NFL player.

Big 12.  They are not a conference renowned for their defense.  Not to say Hendo didn't face some week fronts (he did), but Brown wasn't playing Alabama and LSU every Saturday.

I'd agree with you.  We don't have enough information to make an intelligent comparison about their respective abilities as a potential NFL RB garnering a majority of their team's touches.

However, NFL GMs have more information than us, and one traded up to take Henderson in the third round and none drafted Brown.  That and $5 might buy you a cup of coffee, but that is where we are at.  I certainly wouldn't automatically assume Brown is a shoe in to lead this team in touches if Gurley misses significant time though.  I would probably bet on the opposite, gun to my head.  But I could be wrong.  That's why I have both.

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man...not a Gurley owner but is it worth using #1 waiver priority on Brown? Been holding onto this for a few weeks. Wish we knew the deal with Todd's injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mmiller186 said:

Man...not a Gurley owner but is it worth using #1 waiver priority on Brown? Been holding onto this for a few weeks. Wish we knew the deal with Todd's injury. 

A thigh contusion i am not sure how serious that can get. I am thinking about grabbing Brown but i dont know if i can justify putting him in my flex over coleman. Something tells me niners are going to force goff to pass

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

A thigh contusion i am not sure how serious that can get. I am thinking about grabbing Brown but i dont know if i can justify putting him in my flex over coleman. Something tells me niners are going to force goff to pass

Goff/McVay have been willingly passing a bizzilion times all year I don't think they'll need to be forced lol, that being said I would definitely go with Coleman.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mmiller186 said:

Man...not a Gurley owner but is it worth using #1 waiver priority on Brown? Been holding onto this for a few weeks. Wish we knew the deal with Todd's injury. 

 

Thinking M Brown is the greater part of a time share with D Henderson whose role starts small this week but grows with each game TG misses. Tough match up this week but M Brown looks like a solid to high end RB2 most weeks.

Guessing Gurley comes back in the next week or two and M Brown is your average flex in those games as I doubt they give TG the snaps they did the last two weeks again. 

Betting TG misses more time again after he comes back from this whatever it is but hard to say when or how many games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Felt like I overspent on Brown after week 1 (~30% of my faab) but looking back that might've been a season saving move

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FreakFries said:

 

Thinking M Brown is the greater part of a time share with D Henderson whose role starts small this week but grows with each game TG misses. Tough match up this week but M Brown looks like a solid to high end RB2 most weeks.

Guessing Gurley comes back in the next week or two and M Brown is your average flex in those games as I doubt they give TG the snaps they did the last two weeks again. 

Betting TG misses more time again after he comes back from this whatever it is but hard to say when or how many games.

If you think it's a one week thing, I probably wouldn't touch either.

IDK though, this whole thing is fishy.  McVay didn't know about it til Monday?  They have a week and a half and he's still out with a "contusion" on the same leg he's had trouble with since UGA?  This doesn't feel right to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

A thigh contusion i am not sure how serious that can get. 

 

Of course depends on severity. Hopefully not to the bone. These guys play with bumps and bruises all the time, so it must be somewhat serious if he's sitting out. Or he and the Rams are BS'ing and giving him extra rest so he lasts through the playoffs. Who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NBatum88 said:

Felt like I overspent on Brown after week 1 (~30% of my faab) but looking back that might've been a season saving move

You may have still overspent. Timeshare written all over it. Sixteen touches since Week 1 and that's with an already limited Gurley. I believe 10 touches total to Woods/Cooks/Kupp. The Rams should be running more, but for some reason they haven't. They've elected to throw. Maybe he gets Gurley's touches, who knows. But if that gets split up, it will not be good.

Edited by FitzMagic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ludawg23 said:

Anyone actually going to start him though? Contemplating if I should flex him over Ridley or Sutton but that Niners D-line looks pretty good although they have faced some bad competition.  Chubb did have over a 5+ YPC average last week.

The guy I am playing has Gurley lol.

Why wouldn't you start him? He is RB2 status...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

malcom brown seems to have been the guy behind gurley. henderson has seen what? two snaps? so all of a sudden gurley goes down we assume the guy who barely played behind the starter is going to leapfrog into the starting position? 

great logic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no one knows how this will shake out if gurley is to miss extended time.  i wish people would not pretend like they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sjm76 said:

If Gurley misses extended time, Henderson could easily be the better of him and Brown because he is more talented but I think that both backs would likely be used in a committee.  Something like a 60-40 split.

More talented yet has touched the field twice.

I do believe he is talented, but zero evidence to crown the guy. Especially after many of us fell for the "traded up/Kamara BS"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.