machine3

Malcolm Brown 2019 Outlook

This Gurley situation has the makings of a season long issue. 

This week, with a DNP Wednesday-Friday and a designation of "Doubtful", isn't Gurley out for sure?

What are you guys projecting for Brown in that case? 90 yards on the ground and 1 TD?

Edited by KilloWertz
Edited out CSB

Not that there was much doubt, but this seems to pretty much guarantee that Gurley isn’t playing this week.

35 minutes ago, nosh0t said:

John Kelly promoted - even murkier now

murkier? It guarantees Gurley is out.... that’s about it.

• Thanks 2

John Kelly is purely depth. If anything, it could bring into question how much they intend to use Henderson. But I figure they would have 3 RBs active regardless. 

Todd Gurley (quad) has been ruled out for Week 6 against the 49ers.

Malcolm Brown, Darrell Henderson, and John Kelly will handle running back duties this week while Gurley gets more time to heal up from a thigh contusion. Brown is expected to lead the backfield in snaps and touches, so he's a fine RB2 option given his touchdown equity. Henderson only has one NFL carry, but he offers some explosiveness as a runner and is a capable pass-catcher. It's uncertain how much run he actually gets this week, especially with Kelly activated from the practice squad. Henderson, however, has enough upside to be a worthwhile add at the end of fantasy benches.

Just a heads up that all CSBs will continue to be deleted.  Please create a thread in the Assistant Coach section if you really need to know what people are getting in return for Brown...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

20 ish?

i'll take the over (higher?). think he finishes better than #20 rb this week. he's gonna get fed. doubt henderson gets more than a handful of combined touches.

i'm deploying him at flex in both my leagues (over ronnie jones in 12 teamer and over fuller & lindsay in 10 teamer).

lets get it, malcolm.

3 minutes ago, cerdo said:

i'll take the over (higher?). think he finishes better than #20 rb this week. he's gonna get fed. doubt henderson gets more than a handful of combined touches.

i'm deploying him at flex in both my leagues (over ronnie jones in 12 teamer and over fuller & lindsay in 10 teamer).

lets get it, malcolm.

Brown is on a pass happy offense and is  facing a good defense + ball control offense. 

13 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Brown is on a pass happy offense and is  facing a good defense + ball control offense. 

here's a good breakdown of game 1 v. CAR (the only game where malcolm has had any significant burn this season):

FF to 3:10 and peep some analysis of a handful of his runs. the last one's got me licking my chops. str8 beast.

understand your points above and agree that rams should be passing quite a bit, but that should only open up some lanes for malcolm to attack.

huge division game at home v. SF (4-0 v. TB, CIN, PIT, CLE). LAR will be the first true test for the niners, imo.

vegas has LAR -3/ total 51. implied game total 27-24 rams. 

i could easily see malcolm accounting for one of those three TDs, as he will dominate carries as well as handle GL duties.

i'm bullish on brown tmrw. starting with confidence.

good luck if ur starting him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

As the poster above me just said, with an O/U at 51 and the Rams favored by 3, I’m not too concerned about this being a “ball control” type of game. True, the Rams are probably still going to be throwing a lot. But it looks like there should be plenty of points to go around.

“Vegas” isn’t always right and Brown is certainly no slam dunk to put up a great stat line, but people talk like SF is favored by 5 in a game with a 38 O/U. This game has the 3rd highest O/U of the week (and the Rams are favored to boot) right behind ATL-ARI which is expected to be a shootout. 

• Like 1

niners defense this year vs. buccaneers (wintson), bengals, steelers (rudolph), browns (baker). all crappy teams for a small sample size. credit to the defense but I don't think they are all that dominant as everyone thinks. Again, Rams offense isn't the same 30+ offense it is last year but it is a rank higher than those of bengals, browns, steelers. Even though the bucs beat the rams, they don't have a strong run game like the rams and I believe Brown should do better than what RoJo or Peyton Barber did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brosephd said:

niners defense this year vs. buccaneers (wintson), bengals, steelers (rudolph), browns (baker). all crappy teams for a small sample size. credit to the defense but I don't think they are all that dominant as everyone thinks. Again, Rams offense isn't the same 30+ offense it is last year but it is a rank higher than those of bengals, browns, steelers. Even though the bucs beat the rams, they don't have a strong run game like the rams and I believe Brown should do better than what RoJo or Peyton Barber did.

People are also forgetting that Mixon played against them after injuring himself the prior week, as did James Conner. I have no doubt the 49ers defense is a good unit, but I'll say it again that I think it's premature to call them an elite run stopper.

I would bet pretty confidently on 65 or more yards rushing and a 70%+ chance on a rushing TD. If I'm wrong I'll gladly come here on Sunday afternoon and eat crow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gbill2004 said:

Is Brown a good receiver, or will he come off the field on passing downs?

He's capable of catching the ball, had 51 catches for 381 yards in college.  He hasn't shown much receiving chops in the pros but he hasn't had many opportunities to.

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

He's capable of catching the ball, had 51 catches for 381 yards in college.  He hasn't shown much receiving chops in the pros but he hasn't had many opportunities to.

I'll be watching for that tomorrow. He's good in pass protection so that'll keep him on the field.

8 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

I'll be watching for that tomorrow. He's good in pass protection so that'll keep him on the field.

This is crucial when you're talking about a backup RB situation.