Sign in to follow this  
kmoore1521

Nick Solak 2019 Outlook

This guy has a .418 OBP in 50 ABs , is a potential future starter next year on a team out of contention and I feel like he’s been on the bench for a week...wtf 

10 minutes ago, treyjuice said:

This guy has a .418 OBP in 50 ABs , is a potential future starter next year on a team out of contention and I feel like he’s been on the bench for a week...wtf 

He’s batting cleanup and playing 3rd today, which will be his 14th start in the 16 games since his callup.

CBS keeps listing him as “not in lineup” which is a glitch of some sort. I’m not sure if other sites are having the same problem with him, but he’s definitely been getting regular PT.

22 minutes ago, treyjuice said:

have no idea what you are talking about...he is a regular since his callup......lolol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He’s batting cleanup and playing 3rd today, which will be his 14th start in the 16 games since his callup.

CBS keeps listing him as “not in lineup” which is a glitch of some sort. I’m not sure if other sites are having the same problem with him, but he’s definitely been getting regular PT.

Thanks for letting me know that. I do use CBS and that’s what I have been going off of. My bad.

It's a shame the lineup around him isn't doing a whole lot right now with him now batting cleanup regularly, but oh well.  He's continuing to hit, hit, hit, so there's that at least. 😀

Hit another HR yesterday, pair of runs, pair of RBI, and a walk.  Meanwhile Odor went 0-3 behind him and is now hitting a cool .194 on the season . . .

His position eligibility for next season will be interesting. So far he’s mostly been a DH, with 3 games at 2B and 2 at 3B.

I think it’s likely he takes over at 2B next year, but since the Rangers are out of it, there’s no rush to move on from Odor right now. Might as well give him one last chance.

3B is even more wide open, but Solak has played their very little and scouting reports question his arm strength. It doesn’t seem like the best fit. He’s also played some OF in the minors, though not yet for Texas.

Depending on league rules, it’s possible he starts next season as a DH only, but he could still end up with both 2B and 3B eligibility.

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

His position eligibility for next season will be interesting. So far he’s mostly been a DH, with 3 games at 2B and 2 at 3B.

I think it’s likely he takes over at 2B next year, but since the Rangers are out of it, there’s no rush to move on from Odor right now. Might as well give him one last chance.

3B is even more wide open, but Solak has played their very little and scouting reports question his arm strength. It doesn’t seem like the best fit. He’s also played some OF in the minors, though not yet for Texas.

Depending on league rules, it’s possible he starts next season as a DH only, but he could still end up with both 2B and 3B eligibility.

I think he'll be hard-pressed to get in 5 games at 2B or 3B at this point, barring an injury. He played two of his first three games at 2B. Since then, he's been the DH 10 games, 3B two games, and 2B one game. With only 20 games remaining in the season, I wouldn't count on him being eligible anywhere but DH. Two games at 2B isn't much, but there seems to be very little inclination from Texas to get him some PT there. Kind of a toss-up at this point. 

Do position eligibility rules even come into play with a sample size this small?  He played 82 games at 2B in the minors this year, but because he gets called up for a cup of coffee in September that suddenly makes his MiLB fielding null?  If he hadn't gotten a September call-up at all then he would obviously be a 2B in fantasy next year.  What if he had gotten called up and played one game in LF (where he played 20 games in AAA), got injured, and was out the rest of the year - would he be only a LF in fantasy next year?  

Seems silly in the example of him only playing a single game, but it's not a lot different than taking a ~30 MLB sample size and suggesting he needs to play over 16% of the time at 2B to be eligible next year, when he played 2B like 80% of his whole season.  The 5-game standard was set based on a 162 game schedule, which only requires a player to play a position about 3% of the time.

12 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Do position eligibility rules even come into play with a sample size this small?  He played 82 games at 2B in the minors this year, but because he gets called up for a cup of coffee in September that suddenly makes his MiLB fielding null?  If he hadn't gotten a September call-up at all then he would obviously be a 2B in fantasy next year.  What if he had gotten called up and played one game in LF (where he played 20 games in AAA), got injured, and was out the rest of the year - would he be only a LF in fantasy next year?  

Seems silly in the example of him only playing a single game, but it's not a lot different than taking a ~30 MLB sample size and suggesting he needs to play over 16% of the time at 2B to be eligible next year, when he played 2B like 80% of his whole season.  The 5-game standard was set based on a 162 game schedule, which only requires a player to play a position about 3% of the time.

It comes into play with Yahoo and CBS. The standard is not set for a 162-game season. It's just the set base minimum for however many games they play, and it's probably just the easiest way to do it. 

Starting today at 3B for the 4th time in 5 games, 6th overall. No idea if that will be his long-term home but it looks like that’s where he’ll be the rest of this year.

2 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Starting today at 3B for the 4th time in 5 games, 6th overall. No idea if that will be his long-term home but it looks like that’s where he’ll be the rest of this year.

That should be his regular position for the most part, especially since Odor is no longer benched (not sure if it ever really happened).

Solak is very quietly having a great start to his career, evident by the fact that we aren't even at the end of his 2nd page yet.

Was really hoping he'd get those 10 starts at 2B to keep that eligibility for next season.

7 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Was really hoping he'd get those 10 starts at 2B to keep that eligibility for next season.

Yeah, didn't even think of that.  He's even 1 start short there right now for Yahoo.  Both positions are probably about the same depth wise, but still, would be nice if he could keep the 2B eligibility.

3 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Yeah, didn't even think of that.  He's even 1 start short there right now for Yahoo.  Both positions are probably about the same depth wise, but still, would be nice if he could keep the 2B eligibility.

Look who's starting at 2B today...lol

• Thanks 1

I think he's a late-round flier.  Has showed some flashes, but hasn't been up long enough to push ahead of guys with a longer track record.  I mean, Josh Donaldson is 13th at 3B on ESPN's player rater.  Hunter Dozier is 19th despite missing 3 weeks due to injury.  Matt Chapman in a down year overall is 20th.  I can see the case for Solak somewhere in that mix, but I don't see him as a must-have guy over any one of them.  I'd be happy to come away with anyone in that group as my CI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

I think he's a late-round flier.  Has showed some flashes, but hasn't been up long enough to push ahead of guys with a longer track record.  I mean, Josh Donaldson is 13th at 3B on ESPN's player rater.  Hunter Dozier is 19th despite missing 3 weeks due to injury.  Matt Chapman in a down year overall is 20th.  I can see the case for Solak somewhere in that mix, but I don't see him as a must-have guy over any one of them.  I'd be happy to come away with anyone in that group as my CI.

Funny how the juiced ball ERA has changed our outlook as I think many will agree that Chapman is a bit disappointing despite 34 homers. 

Agree with you on Solak with a caveat that he is probably closer to a must-own in dynasty formats, but not so much redrafts. 

16 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Where do you guys see his ADP outlook for next season?

As a second baseman, probably around 120-150 in redraft, maybe 100-120 in keeper.

As a third baseman, complete afterthought.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Overlord said:

As a second baseman, probably around 120-150 in redraft, maybe 100-120 in keeper.

I think that's a bit much.  It depends on how your team is composed, imo.  If you have a ton of power guys, but lower average types then pro-rating his numbers, even with some regression, would be more than adequate for 3B. 

7 hours ago, Overlord said:

Not everybody plays in 10 team leagues.

I like him in that home ballpark, he has prospect pedigree and multiple position eligibility. I can see him as a top 10 - 2nd baseman and top -15 at 3rd. I like him.

3 minutes ago, treyjuice said:

I like him in that home ballpark

Texas is moving into a new park next year which they expect to be more neutral. Here's an article on how it might play.

I think he'll be a solid player, but he doesn't steal much despite being fairly fast, and his groundball rate is too high to be a consistent 30+ HR guy. I do like him in deeper leagues because he think he's got a pretty high floor, but not a guy I'd reach for.

• Like 3

His double eligibility 2B,3B makes him a decent pick up next season but his a rookie and we haven't seen much enough from him so for me, I wouldn't pick him up before 130-150 ADP. How many rookies have been called up this season and have directly been red hot for few weeks before to cool off? The majority of them. We do need to see more of Solak to chase him like a potential top 2B,3B next season. Just my opinion.

In re-draft league, unless the league is composed of more than 12 managers, I don't believe Solak is more than an utility man.