AirForceOne

Darrel Williams 2019 Outlook

As a transparency alert, I drafted Darrel in a 12-team keeper league as a bench stash/lotto ticket.

A few things stood out to me:

- His pass protection was flawless - obviously, a good way to stay on the field.  Mahomes was comfortable looking his way for dump-offs in the short passing game as well.

- He showed a good ability to create yards running in the interior when there wasn't much there.  There were two occasions I recall anecdotally where he was able to move the pile or contort his body to turn a no gain into a 2-3 yard gain.

- He doesn't look like the most lithe back ever, but his one-cut moves in space are really effective.  I think concerns about his 40-time at the Combine are drastically overblown.  He plays with efficient game speed by my eyes, and the NFL Next Gen stats tell a similar story.

Edited by rschroeder1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't know if this guy is worth a pickup.  When Damien is back healthy, I don't see why he wouldn't be back ahead of Darrel.

Because he looked a lot better than Mr two yards a carry Damien Williams yesterday?  I own Damien Williams and I have no idea why some people think he’s so highly thought of that he will go right back to being a starter once he’s back. If he were so highly thought of, Reid wouldn’t have gone to a RBBC and he wouldn’t have paid McCoy $3 million. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As a McCoy owner I need this guy. I’m actually counting heavily on shady so Williams is a must for me. Spent $4 on Thompson last week by mistake so I’ll likely triple that and hope it’s enough. If shady goes down this guy will at least get some run even with Damien healthy imo. My need for this guy is directly the result of waiting on RB and being fairly needy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Because he looked a lot better than Mr two yards a carry Damien Williams yesterday?  I own Damien Williams and I have no idea why some people think he’s so highly thought of that he will go right back to being a starter once he’s back. If he were so highly thought of, Reid wouldn’t have gone to a RBBC and he wouldn’t have paid McCoy $3 million. 

Uh....what?  You have been bashing McCoy and touting Damien for the past month and now this?  I can't tell if you're serious or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Man, did you break your ankles jumping off the Damien Williams bandwagon so quickly???  😂

• Haha 6

I watched the entire game yesterday. Nobody gets near Maholmes on passing plays when this dude is in. Darrel is seriously a brick wall. I think the fear was that he couldn't produce offensively, but I'm pretty sure he proved the doubters wrong on that one, especially with that long scamper in the 4th (caught by a heel for a long TD). I can't speak for Reid, but my number 1 concern would be keeping Maholmes upright, so I'd be playing Darrel. Shrug

• Thanks 1

Darrel really shined in his opportunity yesterday.  With the game still very much in doubt, he made the plays to help the Chiefs win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That McCoy update before the game had me grab him quick as hell, im kinda happy now even though I might be sitting 0-3, I keep facing people with the highest scores, hopefully this guy helps me get to where I need to be

Edited by CABLE87
  • Like 1

Why was Darwin hyped over this guy? Picked the wrong RB.

Everyone is jumping on the Darrel train now it seems.

8 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

Why was Darwin hyped over this guy? Picked the wrong RB.

Everyone is jumping on the Darrel train now it seems.

Yeah.  I don't get it.  There's no way he is going to jump McCoy and Damien on talent alone.  The guy ran a 4.72 40-yard dash.  Not saying he can't be productive in the KC offense....we saw that yesterday.  But if McCoy and/or Damien are healthy, he's not playing over them.  He only got action because McCoy started the game dinged up, and left the game after the 3rd.

You're basically hoping for two major injuries to McCoy and Damien.  If one of them is healthy, Darrel will be on the short end of a timeshare at best.  Not startable.

• Haha 1

I predict Damien Williams will be out for a while.  McCoy should take some time to heal up, but I doubt that he will.  That means McCoy will be active but hobbling, maybe unable to finish games.  Darrel is going to have some chances.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I predict Damien Williams will be out for a while.  McCoy should take some time to heal up, but I doubt that he will.  That means McCoy will be active but hobbling, maybe unable to finish games.  Darrel is going to have some chances.

What is your prediction based on?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

In the short term, yes.  What I'm saying is that it's highly unlikely Darrel will be the main guy with a healthy McCoy and Damien watching from the sidelines.  He's only going to get action when both are injured.

16 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Yeah.  I don't get it.  There's no way he is going to jump McCoy and Damien on talent alone.  The guy ran a 4.72 40-yard dash.  Not saying he can't be productive in the KC offense....we saw that yesterday.  But if McCoy and/or Damien are healthy, he's not playing over them.  He only got action because McCoy started the game dinged up, and left the game after the 3rd.

You're basically hoping for two major injuries to McCoy and Damien.  If one of them is healthy, Darrel will be on the short end of a timeshare at best.  Not startable.

I don't mean to harp on it...but according to the NFL Next Gen Stats, he clocked the fifth fastest single-play speed yesterday at 20.88 mph on his 41-yard run.

Perhaps the 40-yard, no pads, controlled environment Combine time isn't necessarily the best predictor of actual game speed.

By my eye test, and the NFL stats, his game speed is fine.  First part is my opinion, certainly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rschroeder1 said:

I don't mean to harp on it...but according to the NFL Next Gen Stats, he clocked the fifth fastest single-play speed yesterday at 20.88 mph on his 41-yard run.

Perhaps the 40-yard, no pads, controlled environment Combine time isn't necessarily the best predictor of actual game speed.

By my eye test, and the NFL stats, his game speed is fine.  First part is my opinion, certainly.

Fair enough.  Good info.  I still don't think he's hopping past McCoy or Damien without injuries to both.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Fair enough.  Good info.  I still don't think he's hopping past McCoy or Damien without injuries to both.

Yeah, the path is no doubt convoluted.  Having drafted him as a lotto ticket, I'm liking my lotto ticket value at this point in time.  The biggest thing that impressed me was his pass blocking.  If the opportunity presents itself, he's going to be trusted to play.

Given McCoy's age and the general vagueness surrounding Damien Williams' injury, right now I'm in "heck, why not" mode.  While I have no basis to offer any prediction on him becoming the starter, he passed the eye test for me in terms of running with the opportunity when available.

I also offer advice on playing the real lottery 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

He’s a really fluid receiver out of the backfield, I was impressed.

Ya same, his pass catching and pass blocking skills were really amazing. It’s just one game but I sure would like to see a lot more. We know who McCoy is at this point. 

• Thanks 1

I snatched him up in one league where without shady I had no one to flex. My other two leagues I also own shady and will be aggressively spending on him as a handcuff. If shady goes down he will be very valuable, even with him he could have some stand alone value in ppr.

1 hour ago, Sticky2 said:

What is your prediction based on?

Based on the fact that Damien has mysterious injury, he left the game and did not return, and he missed all practices last week and was ruled "out" early.

4 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

The God Of Plod

Darrel wasn't plodding on Sunday.  He was beating the Ravens with his running plays and his receptions.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

The God Of Plod

He's Spencer Ware from 2016. Given a full workload he'll be valuable but if not he's just another guy.

Most of his production came from a 41 yard run that he wasn't touched until he was caught from behind at yard 41.

• Haha 1

Outside of Kelce, I feel like all the KC offensive options is a game of wack a mole. 

A different guy blows up each week.

• Like 1