AirForceOne

Darrel Williams 2019 Outlook

22 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

He got 9 carries last week with McCoy clearly playing the leading role. Why would he only get 6-8 this week? 

Also he got 5 targets for 5 receptions. 

If McCoy doesn't exit the game again?  seems clear to mez

Yeah McCoy probably did a limited practice. He's "questionable" and they will probably say he's "questionable" right up to Sunday morning. And there might even be a Chiefs' writer who says he is doing pre-game warmups as the 3rd string back. But rest assured he will start and get the most carries.

Darrel Williams can still produce, especially if McCoy gets hurt at some point. Of which there is probably a 70% chance of happening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ree10 said:

If Damien is out is Darrell a top 10 PPR RB? Top 5? 😳

I think you're forgetting about someone...

10 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Perhaps, most importantly, Reid trusted Darrel on 3rd and 9 with the game on the line. That speaks volumes, people.

Well....at that point McCoy was out so Reid's choices were Darrel or Darwin.  Not that impressive.  McCoy was on the sideline in case of emergency, but "emergency" means the other RBs got knocked out of the game so he has to go in.

35 minutes ago, OmegaRed88 said:

If McCoy doesn't exit the game again?  seems clear to mez

Okay yeah I guess I didn't read it carefully enough. If the assumption is that McCoy plays the whole game and is not limited whatsoever, Darrell might only get 6-8 carries and a few passes. Odds of McCoy playing the whole game and being able handle a maximum load? Not very likely. 

1 minute ago, mbell317 said:

Okay yeah I guess I didn't read it carefully enough. If the assumption is that McCoy plays the whole game and is not limited whatsoever, Darrell might only get 6-8 carries and a few passes. Odds of McCoy playing the whole game and being able handle a maximum load? Not very likely. 

We'll see.  Nobody knows how bad McCoy is.  Not good that he couldn't finish the game Sunday, but he is practicing today.  If he gets a full practice in on Friday again, it is highly likely he gets most of the work on Sunday...especially if the Lions keep it competitive.  Keep in mind that McCoy went out of the game when the Chiefs were up 30-7.

4 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

We'll see.  Nobody knows how bad McCoy is.  Not good that he couldn't finish the game Sunday, but he is practicing today.  If he gets a full practice in on Friday again, it is highly likely he gets most of the work on Sunday...especially if the Lions keep it competitive.  Keep in mind that McCoy went out of the game when the Chiefs were up 30-7.

Yeah I agree that McCoy will get "most of the work" if he's healthy. I said that previously.

My thinking is that Darrell is still a flex level player or even a low end RB2 in that scenario.

The Chiefs have rushed the ball 73 times this year. McCoy has 29 of those (10 week one, 11 week two, and 8 week three).

Damien Williams had 13 carries in week one and 9 carries in week 2. The key for Darrell is Damien not playing. There are plenty of carries to soak up in his absence. 

Reid is not going to only play 1 running back. He's already said that he basically prefers a committee approach. So even with McCoy as the primary back, Darrell will still get action as he did last week. And I'm not even mentioning the passing game.

59 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Well....at that point McCoy was out so Reid's choices were Darrel or Darwin.  Not that impressive.  McCoy was on the sideline in case of emergency, but "emergency" means the other RBs got knocked out of the game so he has to go in.

Incorrect - his choices were not limited simply to Darrel or Darwin. He could have just as easily trusted the best TE in the league and not Darrel, or a veteran in Sammy Watkins or Robinson. But, instead, he put the ball in Darrel's hands on a critical 3rd and 9 in their own territory with 1:51 remaining up by 5. And Darrel delivered.

As I said before, that speaks volumes.

Edited by timexsocialclub
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

Yeah I agree that McCoy will get "most of the work" if he's healthy. I said that previously.

My thinking is that Darrell is still a flex level player or even a low end RB2 in that scenario.

The Chiefs have rushed the ball 73 times this year. McCoy has 29 of those (10 week one, 11 week two, and 8 week three).

Damien Williams had 13 carries in week one and 9 carries in week 2. The key for Darrell is Damien not playing. There are plenty of carries to soak up in his absence. 

Reid is not going to only play 1 running back. He's already said that he basically prefers a committee approach. So even with McCoy as the primary back, Darrell will still get action as he did last week. And I'm not even mentioning the passing game.

hit the nail on the head. Key factor is is Damien does not play. If he doesn't Darrel is flex/rb2 option for sure.

• Like 1

Got both Williams on roster. Will be putting which ever one is playing in flex. I just want one of these guys to emerge, so tired of this backfield.

As Sigmund Bloom would say, Damien and Shady have already broken the injury seal.  Don't know that we can expect these guys to get healthier during the season.  At any point where it's a 2 man backfield(which most are) Williams can be ca$h money

Related image

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Even if Shady gets 90% of the touches this week, I intend to be patient with Darrel. He has already proven he can produce if given the opportunity. It's a long season and we're only 20% the way through. Plenty of time for Darrel to get a crack at starting, so long as he stays ahead of Darwin in the pecking order

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, phillyfan461 said:

As Sigmund Bloom would say, Damien and Shady have already broken the injury seal.  Don't know that we can expect these guys to get healthier during the season.  At any point where it's a 2 man backfield(which most are) Williams can be ca$h money

Related image

Wow this is awesome.

1 hour ago, timexsocialclub said:

When Hunt was kicked off the team last year, Ware immediately stepped in and put up points. When Ware got Hurt Damien Williams immediately stepped in and put up points. When McCoy and Damien Williams were hurt last week, guess what, Darrel Williams immediately stepped in and put up points. It's not complicated. Don't overcomplicate it. You want part of this offense. Darrel is a lottery ticket that can pay off with a championship. If you have any space whatsoever on your team, you roster him - especially if you had Saquon or any RB that is currently struggling. McCoy and Damien are already banged up. Perhaps, most importantly, Reid trusted Darrel on 3rd and 9 with the game on the line. That speaks volumes, people.

To be fair Damien Williams was a** the first two weeks. 

40 minutes ago, phillyfan461 said:

Related image

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't see any possibility of a healthy McCoy.

I agree. 😜

McCoy limited today.  After having the rest of Sunday, all of Monday, all of Tuesday, and Wednesday morning to rest and heal.  And McCoy is still not 100%.

Interesting...

22 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

McCoy limited today.  After having the rest of Sunday, all of Monday, all of Tuesday, and Wednesday morning to rest and heal.  And McCoy is still not 100%.

Interesting...

He didn’t participate at all last Wednesday so this looks like a positive step for McCoy.

• Haha 1

[...]

I am a McCoy owner and do not have Darrel and I would love to have him. 

Darwin can’t pass protect and Damien is always hurt and that seems to be really angering Reid. Reid took another backhanded swipe at Damien when he was talking about McCoy playing through injury: “that’s what veterans do.”  Reid has complained several times since camp about Damien not being available. 

Further, after researching Darrel I’m sort of wondering if went undrafted because he was behind Fournett and Guice at LSU. As soon as he had the opportunity he produced more 30+ yard runs than Guice and was named team MVP. Scouting reports say he he was a little slow and didn’t let holes develop but that’s not really an issue in the KC offense when the defense is sprinting downfield. By every account I’ve read he was superb in pass protecting. 

Seems to me he is a guy with more upside than your weekly waiver wire fodder. Of course, as a McCoy owner I hope not! 😆

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed quote of deleted AC post.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ok... I went ahead and benched Jarvis Landry for Darrel Williams this week. I hope this doesn't bite me.

2 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

Ok... I went ahead and benched Jarvis Landry for Darrel Williams this week. I hope this doesn't bite me.

Or you could just wait until Sunday and see how the week goes? 

• Haha 1