s-kayos

Jamal Murray 2019-2020 Outlook

I feel like Jamal "Blue Arrow" Murray still has a lot of potential.

• Murray is still 22 years old and he doesn't turn 23 for 7 more months.

• He just averaged 21 ppg ~5 ast ~4 rebs in the most recent playoffs over 14 games

• He's ranked around the 70s on Yahoo, Hashtag Basketball, & Fantrax while finishing last season 77 overall per BBM, but finishing the last 2 months ranked 55 overall, upping his 3s and FG%

• In 2017-2018 he finished T60, per BBM

I think the Blue Arrow can use a little more love, he can still get better this season with his shooting and efficiency, and the Nuggs clearly believe in him after signing him to a $170million contract extension way earlier than they had to. 

I think I'm drafting him before pick 70 comes around, for sure.

Thoughts guys? Do you think his rankings are about right? Or will he continue to improve?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, s-kayos said:

I feel like Jamal "Blue Arrow" Murray still has a lot of potential.

• Murray is still 22 years old and he doesn't turn 23 for 7 more months.

• He just averaged 21 ppg ~5 ast ~4 rebs in the most recent playoffs over 14 games

• He's ranked around the 70s on Yahoo, Hashtag Basketball, & Fantrax while finishing last season 77 overall per BBM, but finishing the last 2 months ranked 55 overall, upping his 3s and FG%

• In 2017-2018 he finished T60, per BBM

I think the Blue Arrow can use a little more love, he can still get better this season with his shooting and efficiency, and the Nuggs clearly believe in him after signing him to a $170million contract extension way earlier than they had to. 

I think I'm drafting him before pick 70 comes around, for sure.

Thoughts guys? Do you think his rankings are about right? Or will he continue to improve?

I think his rank is accurate.  He’s still young enough to improve.   But he’s old enough for us to know who he is and that he won’t get stocks.  It’s difficult to aggressively target a point guard who in their best stretches got 4.8 assists and 1.1 steals.  Ofc he can score in the high teens, or even cross the 20ppg threshold.  Problem there is that a relatively

low portion of his scoring comes from threes and he “only” got 2 per game.  High Ft,  but low FG/To (like most guards).  I don’t see anything special in his fantasy game.  Irl he has great chemistry with Jokic and he could win a title someday.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StifleTower2 said:

I think his rank is accurate.  He’s still young enough to improve.   But he’s old enough for us to know who he is and that he won’t get stocks.  It’s difficult to aggressively target a point guard who in their best stretches got 4.8 assists and 1.1 steals.  Ofc he can score in the high teens, or even cross the 20ppg threshold.  Problem there is that a relatively

low portion of his scoring comes from threes and he “only” got 2 per game.  High Ft,  but low FG/To (like most guards).  I don’t see anything special in his fantasy game.  Irl he has great chemistry with Jokic and he could win a title someday.  

That's true, but if he ups his 3pters and efficiency even a little bit (which I think he easily will, he's a great shooter) then he's CJ McCollum with more assists. And CJ is a guy who was perennially drafted in the T40s-50s, so I'm still surprised he's seen as so low.I also can't say I know how good he's going to be at only 22-years old.

I also like his durability, 82, 81, and 75 games the 3 years he's been in the NBA is solid enough.

That being said, I get your points and they're valid. He's doesn't look like he'll ever improve his steal numbers that much, and with Jokic on the team it would take an injury to the big man for his assist numbers to ever really increase that much.

I think 70s is his floor though unless we're expecting a decline, so I'm still arguing he should get picked at least a little bit before then 

Edited by s-kayos

1 minute ago, s-kayos said:

That's true, but if he ups his 3pters and efficiency even a little bit (which I think he easily will, he's a great shooter) then he's CJ McCollum with more assists. And CJ is a guy who is perennially drafted in the T50s, so I'm still surprised he's seen as so low.I also can't say I know how good he's going to be at only 22-years old.

I also like his durability, 82, 81, and 75 games the 3 years he's been in the NBA is solid enough.

That being said, I get your points and they're valid. He's doesn't look like he'll ever improve his steal numbers that much, and with Jokic on the team it would take an injury to the big man for his assist numbers to ever really increase that much.

I think 70s is his floor though unless we're expecting a decline, so I'm still arguing he should get picked at least a little bit before then 

Not a big fan of CJ either.  Between the two of them I think I've drafted Murray once in one mock over dozens of drafts.  Just not into guys whose primary contributions are points and threes.  Threes are cheap and my teams tend sacrifice points to focus on other cats.    

Not much conversation around this guy....regret drafting him in the 5th round, he's pretty uninspiring and Nuggets have a lot of mouths to feed. Any chance he heats up and I'll be able to sell him off? 

33 minutes ago, hyperionloop said:

Not much conversation around this guy....regret drafting him in the 5th round, he's pretty uninspiring and Nuggets have a lot of mouths to feed. Any chance he heats up and I'll be able to sell him off? 

nope stuck with him for ev er. 

once joker and others get going he will be fine.

I wish he had stayed in the locker room. Word terrible is not enough to describe his performance after the first q.

• Like 1

I had him last year as well. If I remember correctly, slow start in the season and then ramped up. Hopefully no one reached too early for him. 

He's Rubio 2.0, slow starter who goes off later on. See a lot of owners not happy but patience my friends patience

• Like 1

I think he is who he is at this point. This is year 4 and on average most players improve the most they will improve in 1st 4 years. Once in awhile they improve on 5th year also but usually its 4. And Murray has not shown much of any signs of taking the next step. At least in Denver it likely wont be possible with their depth but in a different team he might have but we wont ever know.

He was killing it then he got injured during the game he scored 15 he was on the verge of getting 30 points, he had 15 points in the first quarter. I think the ankle is still bothering him. definitely saw him being more aggressive during those 3 20 point games in a row. Shot hasn't been falling since. But he should be fine. 

On 11/15/2019 at 8:57 AM, vyun said:

Wait for a few good games in a row and try to dump him off ASAP. Will not be a good player this year, top 80 at best

aged well. 

20/5/5 2 threes 1 steal on decent % basically what he did last year

sustained increase in ft% around 88-90% and a couple more 3pt attempts and could be low 20 pts

On 11/14/2019 at 6:39 PM, nir said:

I think he is who he is at this point. This is year 4 and on average most players improve the most they will improve in 1st 4 years. Once in awhile they improve on 5th year also but usually its 4. And Murray has not shown much of any signs of taking the next step. At least in Denver it likely wont be possible with their depth but in a different team he might have but we wont ever know.

This is not who he is really. He has been showing real life improvements every year for the first 3 years and although the jump from year 2 to year 3 was not that big he still increased points, rebounds and assists. He is still 22 years old and we are only 12 games into the season. Denver has been crap overall so far, you can say most of their players are underperforming.

image.png.337b11fbea0158431be67ee1fa412700.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RipCity0 said:

This is not who he is really. He has been showing real life improvements every year for the first 3 years and although the jump from year 2 to year 3 was not that big he still increased points, rebounds and assists. He is still 22 years old and we are only 12 games into the season. Denver has been crap overall so far, you can say most of their players are underperforming.

interesting.... lillard took a couple years to get going and he entered the league at 22. lillard "truly" broke out at age 25/26 fwiw

statistical growth looks similar. outside lillard launching a lot more 3's (murray 3pt% on par with lillard career 3 pt%)

id buy if I can get him for top 80 value. or even fringe top 50 value. think the depth of den is overblown as someone has to lead a team (maybe im just pissed at joker)

Edited by colepenhagen

2 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

Only number that improved year 2-3 is his assista. Points went up only because of more attempts. All other numbers went down. And so far his numbers this year is also identical. Not saying he can’t improve but it likely won’t be drastic.

1 hour ago, nir said:

Only number that improved year 2-3 is his assista. Points went up only because of more attempts. All other numbers went down. And so far his numbers this year is also identical. Not saying he can’t improve but it likely won’t be drastic.

Improving your assists per game by 40% is not minor especially when your turnovers don't go up at same rate. And when he is the 2nd best player of the team of course opponents will be more focused on him. When Lillard jumped from 21 to 25 points per game his % dropped from 43.4% to 41.9%. Have you seen Kemba Walker's numbers? It takes time to adjust and the fact that they do let him take more shots and that usage goes up every year shows that his team is trusting him to take more responsibility. 

11 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

Improving your assists per game by 40% is not minor especially when your turnovers don't go up at same rate. And when he is the 2nd best player of the team of course opponents will be more focused on him. When Lillard jumped from 21 to 25 points per game his % dropped from 43.4% to 41.9%. Have you seen Kemba Walker's numbers? It takes time to adjust and the fact that they do let him take more shots and that usage goes up every year shows that his team is trusting him to take more responsibility. 

I agree the assist jump was a big and it does take time. But jus watching his games, he really does not feel like someone who will be anywhere as good as Lillard. But I might be wrong who knows. But like I said the biggest reason why I think he won’t improve as much in his 4th year is because of his situation. Players you mentioned like Lillard/kemba was the best player on their team with not much depth. Murray is not the best player in Denver and they have tons of depth. 

22 minutes ago, nir said:

I agree the assist jump was a big and it does take time. But jus watching his games, he really does not feel like someone who will be anywhere as good as Lillard. But I might be wrong who knows. But like I said the biggest reason why I think he won’t improve as much in his 4th year is because of his situation. Players you mentioned like Lillard/kemba was the best player on their team with not much depth. Murray is not the best player in Denver and they have tons of depth. 

Just to be clear I'm not saying he will approach Lillard's level, I disagreed with "this is who he is". Denver has depth but I think it is just many above average players, the only elite one is Jokic and Murray is clearly above everybody else.Being a 2nd guy can many times translate in All Star Level. i think in his prime he can be 25/5/7 type of player.