Sign in to follow this  
FFCollusion

Jordan Matthews 2019 Outlook

While I cram for my upcoming drafts I'm digging for some double digit flyers and I remembered this guy used to be rather interesting at one point.  Those days are likely gone, but somebody has to be the #1 WR for the 49ers, and we all know the history of Shanahan's X WR.  Depending on which website, twitter account, podcast, or beatwriter you listen to, it appears that there isn't a single WR on the team that's a lock to make the final 53, other than the fresh rookie pick, but only for capitol reasons, not playtime.

So, while I don't think we're talking Week 1, and we accept that Kittle will lead the team in all meaningful receiving stats, but also that we're talking about a 16th or 'watch list' player here...

Does anyone have anything positive to say about Jordan Matthews for the 2019 season?

His rookie year in 2014 he goes 67/872/8
Sophomore season he follows up with 85/997/8

3rd year he misses a few games, but was on pace 82/900/4

Then the injury bug bites him for 2 years and he's getting passed around the league trying to stick somewhere.

Now he's with the 9ers and Shanahan, which is the main draw.  Believe it or not, he just turned 27 last month, 6'3, 215lbs, ran 4.4 at the combine, and at one point was looking like he was going to have a fairly nice, not special or spectacular, but solid career ahead of him.

The only 2 relevant certified twitter mentions today:

“He’s had a hell of a camp.” Shanahan on WR Jordan Matthews. He says the coaching staff knows what they have in Matthews so they don’t need to play him as much in the preseason. They let Richie James get a few more snaps as a result.

#49ers Kyle Shanahan gives strong endorsement to WR Jordan Matthews: He’s had a hell of a camp. He was very consistent in OTA and training camp. I’ve got a lot of confidence in Jordan and know we can win with him

Within the month:

From one vet to another. Richard Sherman showing Jordan Matthews love on his ability to create separation with a subtle vet move #49ers

#49ers HC Kyle Shanahan says that WR Jordan Matthews brings a lot as a vet in the WR room - especially competition amongst the group. "He’s everything we expected."

Again... 16th round, 12 team+ leagues, or at least a 'watch list' consideration.  Just opening the floor for discussing, not advocating anyone run out and invest anything of value.

Worth a late round pick for certain... especially in redraft leagues. Thank you for the reminder.

10 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

Does anyone have anything positive to say about Jordan Matthews for the 2019 season?

Nope. 

10 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

WhiteDapperCatbird-size_restricted.gif

Well, maybe one thing: I dropped him. So I guess that makes him a lock for an insane season.

49ers released WR Jordan Matthews.

Matthews was trying to earn the 49ers' final receiver spot on a one-year, $2 million deal. His release means Kendrick Bourne has likely made the 53-man roster. Now 27, Matthews has lost his legs after a series of lower-body injuries.

lcxyE0D.gif

• Haha 1

I'm stunned by Matthews getting cut 

......said no one, ever. 

May as well fire this one up, given the dumpster fire receiving corps and a team that desperately wants to throw. Anything to see with a great playoff schedule?

I’m rolling with him in my 16 man league where the WR market is barren. Wentz alluded to their strong connection and his knowledge of the playbook in a interview yesterday and he should see immediate slot snaps.

Small revenge narrative against the Patriots who cut him last summer as well.