dudewithabadcat

Ty Johnson 2019 Outlook

People don’t realize Ty wasn’t at the combines. He ran a 4.26 lmao 40. The fastest from an rb at the combine this year was 4.40 by Justice hill. Had he been there and ran that, he’d have been a 2nd round pick imo This dude is grease lightning fast. Kerryeon ran a 4.54. I’m not saying speed is everything, but it sure don’t hurt when you love catching the ball.

Edited by TennisDude
  • Like 2

This is the most all or nothing thread I've ever seen. 

Apparently Ty is either a league winner, or worthless trash. 

Why can't he just be a solid PPR flex, as a better, faster version of Theo Riddick, while also being the cuff to KJ. 

That means he's worth owning in all leagues. It doesn't mean he's going to immediately be Kamara, but it also doesn't mean he's garbage. C'mon people. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CooL said:

I'm trying to figure out the hype as well.

OK, CJA was released, so that makes this guy the #2.

But Kerryon is still the #1 and is healthy.

Is everyone just excited that because Kerryon has an injury history, surely he will go down at some point, and thus let this other Ty become a league winner?

He's Malcolm Brown or Jaylen Samuels, only without the resume showing that he has done it before.

I think it’s also the fact that KJ has proven NOTHING in this league. 

• Like 1

What he means is the entire spectrum has been covered this week already. There's nothing more to really say(unless we want to repeat ourselves for several more pages) until the next game is played.

Just now, owenmills said:

What he means is the entire spectrum has been covered this week already. There's nothing more to really say(unless we want to repeat ourselves for several more pages) until the next game is played.

i beg to differ ... we could go anuddah 80 pages before Sundown just clowning his Sideshow Bob "hairdo"

🇨🇦

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omg010114 said:

he is the second string RB, nothing to see here until that changes.

Detroit don’t play that way. Fire up option 1b!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Detroit don’t play that way. Fire up option 1b!!!

Exactly. Not to mention Kerryeon is averaging a putrid 3.2 ypc. He isn’t helping them much. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TennisDude said:

People don’t realize Ty wasn’t at the combines. He ran a 4.26 lmao 40. The fastest from an rb at the combine this year was 4.40 by Justice hill. Had he been there and ran that, he’d have been a 2nd round pick imo This dude is grease lightning fast. Kerryeon ran a 4.54. I’m not saying speed is everything, but it sure don’t hurt when you love catching the ball.

1 scout out of 20 or so scouts at his pro day clocking him at 4.26 while everyone else clocked him at 4.3 to 4.4 does not make his forty 4.26. With that said, he is very fast and he does offer some intriguing upside as a COP or handcuff. 

5 minutes ago, goldpants77 said:

1 scout out of 20 or so scouts at his pro day clocking him at 4.26 while everyone else clocked him at 4.3 to 4.4 does not make his forty 4.26. With that said, he is very fast and he does offer some intriguing upside as a COP or handcuff. 

Ok, so let’s compromise and say 4.3 then. He’s still way faster than any rb in the 2019 class.

• Like 1

Well, according to 'RotoPat' he is not amongst the top 56 ranked RBs for this week (lolz) so that should def mean arrow way uP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you are looking for some game tape check out the Chargers game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz3YysPqA7A. Ty Johnson comes in for almost a whole series at 39:10 of the video (10:40 left in the 2Q). He looks good on tape and clearly is making the right reads for the lions primarily zone-based running scheme.

Kid has some talent but I think you guys need to pump the breaks on the Kamara comparisons or holding out hope that he is going to get 40-50% of the carries at some point this season. The Lions clearly believe KJ is the #1 back. Also there is no evidence this kid will be receiving dedicated goal line work or passing down work as those are clearly KJ specialty (look as his college usage/highlights for goal line and last week/last season for passing downs). It also is a fallacy to think that all of CJ's carries are going to go to Ty. A more likely scenario is you see those touches split between KJ and Ty Johnson.

Most likely scenario of touches I see is KJ 65-70%, Ty Johnson 20-25%, JD McKissic/Perkins 10-15%.

5 hours ago, MrPositive said:

Kerryeon is NEVER going to be a bellcow. He’s way too injury prone and the Lions know it. Ty is going to play a lot actually, and has fresh legs. And after Minshew last night, I don’t think anyone cares about where you were drafted any longer haha 

Asiata was a bruising plodder. Ty is the fastest rb in the league that loves catching passes. Even comparing them is so mind boggling stupid. 

Sidelined by calf injury, Maryland running back Ty Johnson doesn't like view from bench
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-ty-johnson-injury-1108-story.html

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ty-johnson
Vision - Seems to be an issue. Was most effective on power style runs with a long downhill runway on which he didn't have to adjust to blockers. On zone flow, regularly works his way into blockers' backs and is far too hasty to turn vertical and try to attack first daylight. Similar issues show up on long-developing power plays. Seems to be unaware of second-level defenders and regularly runs himself into bad situations for limited yards. Inability to create in the second/third-level by seeing and evading tacklers disappoints.
Change of Direction - Poor. Added some mass into senior season and lost some body control accordingly. Struggles to drop his hips into hard redirects and requires multiple gather steps to collect his weight. Linear athlete who lacks elusive traits in head-up situations -- does not have much of a jump cut to his game at all.
Decision-making - A big red flag. Runs into contact constantly and regularly is collisioning his own blockers when trying to read between the tackles. When in space, has no interest in making players miss and will run straight into fill defenders with no plan to evade. Similar issues sprout up as a returner, as he's unable to maximize his blockers on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, martinjlm said:

Sidelined by calf injury, Maryland running back Ty Johnson doesn't like view from bench
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-ty-johnson-injury-1108-story.html

Vision - Seems to be an issue. Was most effective on power style runs with a long downhill runway on which he didn't have to adjust to blockers. On zone flow, regularly works his way into blockers' backs and is far too hasty to turn vertical and try to attack first daylight. Similar issues show up on long-developing power plays. Seems to be unaware of second-level defenders and regularly runs himself into bad situations for limited yards. Inability to create in the second/third-level by seeing and evading tacklers disappoints.
Change of Direction - Poor. Added some mass into senior season and lost some body control accordingly. Struggles to drop his hips into hard redirects and requires multiple gather steps to collect his weight. Linear athlete who lacks elusive traits in head-up situations -- does not have much of a jump cut to his game at all.
Decision-making - A big red flag. Runs into contact constantly and regularly is collisioning his own blockers when trying to read between the tackles. When in space, has no interest in making players miss and will run straight into fill defenders with no plan to evade. Similar issues sprout up as a returner, as he's unable to maximize his blockers on a regular basis.

You don’t even want to read Gardner Minshew’s review from them then...

2 hours ago, martinjlm said:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

if this situation was anything but the lions, i'd be excited. even if kerryon got hurt, i feel like patricia would screw this up somehow. 

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:42 AM, itschief33 said:

Someone needs to find video of his snaps from last game. Not preseason. I didn’t like him coming in to the league because he didn’t look as fast as his 40 supposedly was on tape in college and he rarely ever broke tackles from the gameplay I seen of him out of college. Now, players make improvements over time (who would have thought?). So, snaps from last game or it didn’t happen.

- He gets a carry at 1:58 mark.

- Another at 2:14 mark.

• Thanks 2

the problem is Patricia. He has no identity. He has no clue. He is just BB impersonation and I dont want to deal with this bs....I like Ty but I dont like that mess in Detroit

Edited by LuckyLukas

3 minutes ago, LuckyLukas said:

the problem is Patricia. He has no identity. He has no clue. He is just BB impersonation and I dont want to deal with this bs....I like Ty but I dont like that mess in Detroit

This is exactly why Ty is worth a grab.

In my league even Rex Burkhead is rostered (bad move IMO), Ty needs to be owned. Potential to steal a good chunk from Kerryon

28 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

- He gets a carry at 1:58 mark.

- Another at 2:14 mark.

Hmmm...he doesn't really make good hard cuts.  He kind of swerves while still going forward.

Only 2 runs but it kind of confirms this

Edited by K197040

5 hours ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

I think it’s also the fact that KJ has proven NOTHING in this league. 

A career 5.0 YPC doesn't exactly suck. 

• Like 1

Are we seriously entertaining college midsession reviews now? Now let’s see the scouting review from the Lions who took him even though he wasn’t invited to the combine and almost nobody knew of him. Or better yet, let’s look at all the glowing Ronald Jones scouting reviews and ascertain how much they actually mean.

Edited by MrPositive