dudewithabadcat

Ty Johnson 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, stay_woke said:

The post directly above yours is saying that he could be better than KJ....

He can. Nobody is saying it's likely, or that they're even expecting Johnson to pay dividends as a pickup. Don't join the strawman brigade.

56 minutes ago, OrangeAggie said:

I had the #1 waiver and decided to save it. This guy could be a decent flex player, but if we're being honest that's probably his ceiling, and there's still a decent chance the Lions trade for Kenyan Drake next week or sign someone that will at least split carries with the guy. 

I have a feeling that Ty's performance this week will dictate whether or not they trade for Drake. If he balls out then it's his job for the rest of the season. If he faceplants in a cake matchup then they push for a Drake acquisition.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JJRules said:

I have a feeling that Ty's performance this week will dictate whether or not they trade for Drake. If he balls out then it's his job for the rest of the season. If he faceplants in a cake matchup then they push for a Drake acquisition.

Drake is in the final year of his rookie contract at $2MM.  Why would DET at 3 games back from the wild card berth trade draft capital for a 1-year rental?  That's more than Ajayi's last contract with the Eagles and they'd be able to sign him off the street without giving up draft picks.  I know it's the Lions and they do dumb things but I doubt even they'd pay more to get less in Drake instead of signing Ajayi.  Or CJA for even cheaper than Ajayi or Drake. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jumper said:

Drake is in the final year of his rookie contract at $2MM.  Why would DET at 3 games back from the wild card berth trade draft capital for a 1-year rental?  That's more than Ajayi's last contract with the Eagles and they'd be able to sign him off the street without giving up draft picks.  I know it's the Lions and they do dumb things but I doubt even they'd pay more to get less in Drake instead of signing Ajayi.  Or CJA for even cheaper than Ajayi or Drake. 

Then how about "...if he faceplants in a cake matchup then they acquire another veteran to take his place"?

Drake has been popularly bandied about as a target for the Lions, so that's what I went with in my post. Drake's name here can be reasonably subbed out for really any available veteran tho.

29 minutes ago, jumper said:

They would do it if they planned on re-signing him.

Drake's better than kerryon johnson

• Haha 2

why would the lions trade for anybody when Kerryon Johnson is only in the IR for 8 games.  He be back week 16 and the playoffs - if they make it.  He's still Detroit's future.  People acting like hes done for the season lol

1 minute ago, maximuxx said:

why would the lions trade for anybody when Kerryon Johnson is only in the IR for 8 games.  He be back week 16 and the playoffs - if they make it.  He's still Detroit's future.  People acting like hes done for the season lol

You haven't heard fantasy season is the only thing that matters.

4 minutes ago, maximuxx said:

I mean the Lions probably have a ~10% chance at making the playoffs. Kerryon being out until week 16 is done for the season for all intents and purposes. But the point remains, giving any significant draft capital for an RB doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense right now. 

Edited by gufomel

2 hours ago, maximuxx said:

Good point

5 hours ago, JJRules said:

Then how about "...if he faceplants in a cake matchup then they acquire another veteran to take his place"?

Drake has been popularly bandied about as a target for the Lions, so that's what I went with in my post. Drake's name here can be reasonably subbed out for really any available veteran tho.

They might add a veteran RB. I just doubt they’ll trade for one when they could sign a street FA without expending the draft capital a trade would require. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jumper said:

They might add a veteran RB. I just doubt they’ll trade for one when they could sign a street FA without expending the draft capital a trade would require. 

If Ty underperforms and the team then adds another back, it will be wholly irrelevant to this discussion whether it's via trade or FA signing. Semantics aren't particularly useful in this case.

55 minutes ago, JJRules said:

If Ty underperforms and the team then adds another back, it will be wholly irrelevant to this discussion whether it's via trade or FA signing. Semantics aren't particularly useful in this case.

For purposes of fantasy football you are correct that it's irrelevant.  In real life football however teams do care about roster move implications on draft capital and salary cap.  Sure it would be great for my fantasy team if I owned Drake or MG3 and they got traded into a better situation but that doesn't mean the Lions will make that happen.  Again, Drake's 2019 salary is a touch over $2mm and Ajayi got paid $1.9mm by the Eagles last year.  Presuming they signed Ajayi for the same amount as he got paid last year, why would they (A) give up draft capital to the Dolphins and (B) pay Drake more when it's pretty dubious that Drake would greatly outperform Ajayi?  Heck the Cardinals are a game ahead of the Lions in the WC chase and even they hired mediocre street FA Alf Morris instead of trading for Drake/MG3/etc.  Why do you think they took that approach and why do you think the Lions would do things differently?  

3 minutes ago, jumper said:

For purposes of fantasy football you are correct that it's irrelevant.  In real life football however teams do care...

While I can appreciate the points you're making from a real life standpoint, on this fantasy football forum I'm ONLY concerned with fantasy implications. I care zero percent about the Lions' draft capital or cap implications. My interest begins and ends with, "Do the Lions acquire another RB?", regardless of whether that's via trade, FA signing, or some top secret cloning program.

On 10/24/2019 at 3:23 PM, jumper said:

That's actually a really good situation for Detroit. They get a talented back who they can audition for only $2 million while they wait to see how Kerryon progresses from his surgery. If Drake shines, they offer him a new contract. If not, he's off the books and they're only out a 5th rounder.  

I think Detroit will see how their running game looks this week, and if they think they still have a decent shot at making the playoffs and need some help, they'll make a move for Drake or sign someone like Ajai/CJA. 

On 10/24/2019 at 5:10 PM, maximuxx said:

Maybe the Lions are realizing this guys has been an injury risk since his high school days.  Maybe they trade for Gordon.